Questions on Feeding Whole Mice

omegacactus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

I am back, with another round of questions... this time about feeding whole pre-killed mice! :D (Update on Cinder throwing up raw at end)

I've started feeding whole pre-killed mice to the kitties (well the two that will eat them so far), and they go crazy for them! I ordered a big batch from RodentPro since the ones from the local pet stores are like $2 each, which is way too expensive.

In any case, first I was wondering for those of you who feed mice, how do you keep the smell down? I have been feeding them in the bathroom, to not only keep the gore contained and on easy to clean tile, but also to keep the other cats away while one is eating/playing. It's just a half bath, so its small, but the smell after only a week is getting strong. I clean up the gore after all the kitties are done and run the fan, but there is a slight underlying smell of mouse urine that seems to linger. Just wondering if that will always be there, or if anyone has tips on deodorizing mouse stink?

Second, and more importantly, do cats eating primarily mice throw up a lot of hair balls? I've fed one of my kitties (Cinder) almost completely on the whole mice for the past week (with the remaining being other raw meat or canned). All the mice have stayed down luckily, but he has thrown up twice, both times at night about 4-5 hours after his last meal, and each time it's been a big foul smelling hair ball. I dissected each to make sure, but they were both primarily fur, and one had a mouse tail and foot left wrapped inside (both have been 3-4" long "logs"). Due to all that fur on the mice (as compared to a chunk of chicken or what not) do cats fed whole prey diets throw up hairballs frequently? Is there something that can be done to help with hairballs?

Finally, I was wondering if you need to feed more % body weight if doing whole prey, rather than frankenprey or ground raw? I was giving Cinder about 5oz of mice/meat a day, and he acted like he was starving! He's 9lbs currently at 2 years old, although he is very lean, but the vet said he was a good weight. I upped his intake to 6oz a day, but he still can't seem to get enough. It could just be his enthusiasm for mice however, as he is turning up his nose at anything non-mouse that I've tried recently - Figured I'd ask though ;)

----------

Update on Cinder throwing up raw: After slowly cooking his meat less and less over a couple weeks, once it was mostly raw (about 80-90%) he would start throwing it up again. This happened with chicken, turkey and beef, while pork gave him stinky runs. He was able to handle 100% raw cornish hen (but wouldn't touch the organs), and 100% raw rabbit also stayed down. I tried some canned sardines packed in water without salt, and those were good too. I ordered some quail and pheasant, but he refused to touch either :( Right now, I'm keeping him off of any chicken (except the cornish), beef or pork, and I'll try turkey again later. Oh, I also tried some high quality canned food that he was fine with before, and he kept it down twice and threw it up twice. Mice are pretty much the only thing staying down 100% at this point (minus the hairballs).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

omegacactus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an update - Cinder threw up again this morning after his breakfast of mouse. It was furry and mousy, more meat than hair - so perhaps he's just been doing his usual throw up instead of having hairballs from the mice :(

Which brings me back to square one with him. It almost seems like his throw ups are unrelated to the food he eats, and just happen every few days... although raw chicken/beef make him throw up 100%, they never stay down.

Only thing that seemed to stay down was cooked chicken and turkey, but I do think he threw that up once or twice also during the two weeks he was on it....he also stopped eating it since he got sick of just that over and over again!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'll probably end up calling the vet on Monday, but they never seem to find anything, and it costs me an arm and a leg each time :|

Also, I might try switching him back onto canned food for now. Any suggestions on a good quality brand (besides Wellness, that causes runs for all the cats) that is known for being good for sensitive tummies?

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know why your cat is throwing up here and there, but I know when I first started feeding mice, my cat did puke fur sometimes but it has decreased hugely over time, maybe her body had to adjust? I wonder though if you backed off on the amount, just feed one or two mice and slowly work your way up to more, too much fur for not enough meat.  She used to puke hairballs on canned or kibble as well though so hard to say if it was any different on mice but she doesn't really do it anymore.   I never have any issues on smell but I breed them myself so about half she eats straight out of the cage and she never leaves anything behind.