questions for VIRGINIA RESIDENTS. ...moving soon from CA to Virginia

vampyre88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. I am moving to the Fairfax VA area to join relatives.  while it's not certain yet, I MAY need to TEMPORARILY board my 10-year-old male neutered cat Pumpkin. Unfortunately, the place my uncle rented for us doesn't take pets.  I want a place nearby that has a good reputation. Pumpkin doesn't have any meds he takes or anything, and in general he's pretty social and mellow.

This is only temporary for 2 weeks to a month at most. And I intend to visit him every day while I search for work in the area.

Do any of you out there in VA have a recommendation? Thanks.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work in Washington, DC, use to live in New Carrollton (it's where the Orange Line originates) and now live in Annapolis.

Washington Consumers' Checkbook (http://www.checkbook.org/subscribe/service_categories.cfm?jts=srv_20) is the local version of Consumer Report.  Checkbook recently reviewed local vets; readers rated them. 

I happen to have saved a copy of the report dated Spring/Summer 2012.  Here are some consumers checkrated:

Adams Mill Vet Hospital, Great Falls   (check rated for quality)

Burke Forest Vet Clinic, Springfield    (check rated for quality and price)

** Cat Hospital of Fairfax   (check rated for quality)

Here's a start....

Last edited by a moderator:

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
** Cat Hospital of Fairfax  703 273 5454 (check rated for quality)
One of the vet tech's at the Cat Hospital of Fairfax runs a Bed and Breakfast boarding facility for cats. Here is Teri's website:
http://consciouscat.net/2012/12/18/at-furry-dance-bb-cats-are-pampered-guest/

I've worked with Teri on custom sized Cat Condos for her B&B, and while I've never met her, I have conversed with her enough to know that she really cares about the cats that she takes into her home. She has rooms reserved for the cats and finds out information about them in advance to understand how to care for them. When she found out that she was taking in a geriatric cat for over a week, she purchased a 2-tier condo from me so that she was able to get up on the bed without pain. That speaks volumes to me about her service. She bought another one that is the height of a window in another room so that the cats could observe the bird feeders outside of the window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vampyre88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I have been so busy I didnt update this. Hi all and thanks so much for the replies.  My mom and I have worked out something with the property owner. So there's no problem with Pumpkin staying with the rest of the family. YAY!!!!

Thanks so much for the help though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vampyre88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was a huge relief. I now have a very sour disposition toward that particular uncle. He's out of touch with everything but thinks he knows it all. And throughout this whole transition he proven himself to be the jerk I always thought he was when I was younger. If VA wasn't so much better for jobs than California, I wouldn't be moving at all.