Questions for Pet Lovers

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. Did you have pets when you were growing up? yes
2. Did you have dogs or cats? both, plus birds, fish and the occasional turtle
3. What do you have now cats (11) and dogs (3)

I have to admit that no one in my family is as close to pets as I am. We didn't have a single family pet growing up that was kept for life and that always made me very angry. I think that's why I'm a bit fanatical about adopting for life.

salsero71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1. Did you have pets when you were growing up? Yes...

2. Did you have dogs or cats?
When I was bout 10, my friend had Snowy, a white half-persian cat (I think) that we 'befriended' (i.e. fed). Mum used to have to bundle her out d bathroom window if I arrived into the house with my friend, (cos we didn't know that they knew!). When they moved house, they offered her to us and they kept her kitten.

Another neighbor gave us her dog Rafferty, who again we had 'befriended'...when she left the estate.

Next thing a budgie Charlie, flew into the garden, mum rescued it from Snowy's clutches and stuck it in the nearest 'makeshift' cage (plastic laundry basket) and we bought it a companion, Joey. They lived in the expansive 3-tier cage until later gave both to my aunt who's kids let them outta the cage..and they were no more.

When Snowy & then Rafferty passed (PTS due to natural causes) we had succession of short term rescues, then my younger sis begged Dad for a dog... Off to the pound we went, I pointed out the boisterous Ben (Hienz 57 varieties kinda breed) and he came home with us. Unfortunately his size/youthful energy scared away our two half-time cats (well one rtd to his 1st family, the 2nd died few months later, nat. causes I think).

Ben lasted 18 years, and died of natural causes...the toughest was watching him trying to understand Mum wasn't coming back when she died...he one day mistook my neighbor for mum cos they drove same car and wore same colour jacket...went haring up the road to greet her, til he discovered it wasn't mum (heartbreaking!!).

When Ben was PTS (very ill) in Dec 07, I took advantage of the fact that Dad was travelling, and took in Salem and his sister, Shadow, knowing Dad wouldn't say yes in advance, but they'd grow on him when he got home.

3. What do you have now
(see last para. above) I've always been a cat person at heart (I'm a Leo after all). Ws really depressed & figured having responsibility for another being would help me stay on the planet...so Salem & Shadow came into my life and now they absolutely FEED MY SOUL and are my Raison d'etre!! (reason for living, for getting better and lots more).

Poor dad is getting used to having cats instead of a dog...sometimes say's "hello mutley" then corrects "I mean, puddy tat".

If it were up to me (and hopefully if I ever get my own place) I'd rescue as many cats as I could afford/cope with!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by salsero71

Poor dad is getting used to having cats instead of a dog...sometimes say's "hello mutley" then corrects "I mean, puddy tat".
I sometimes call Merlin "puppycat" because he acts more like a dog than a cat.