Questions About Toxoplasmosis

mahmoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello. my sister in law recently tested and found that she was positive(she's not pregnant), and my 4 years old niece was negative. and my sister usually plays a little and she never touches their feces or come near it, so is it possible that she got it from my cats? and to be fair there are a little traces of cat litter in different parts of the house. also, does cats always have toxoplasmosis in their intestine even if they don't eat an infected rodent or under cooked meat, they usually eat dry food and sometimes chicken breasts, also they are indoor cats so there is no chance of them getting it from outside.
are the chances of a toddler getting it less or is it the same?
they want me to give away my 3 cats but i don't want to and i don't want to risk my family's health either, so please if any experienced person could help me through this predicament i would be so grateful.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also possible to get toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat or other contaminated food, or digging in the dirt. About 30%-50% of humans over age 6 have it, so it's not rare. Cats only shed the oocysts for a couple of weeks after infection, so it wouldn't do any good to get rid of the cats. Here's a good article on the subject: Toxoplasmosis in Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mahmoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's also possible to get toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat or other contaminated food, or digging in the dirt. About 30%-50% of humans over age 6 have it, so it's not rare. Cats only shed the oocysts for a couple of weeks after infection, so it wouldn't do any good to get rid of the cats. Here's a good article on the subject: Toxoplasmosis in Cats
yes, i know that but for them it always easier to point fingers to the cat and say that she's the only reason for it.
so cats shed oocysts if they only get infected not all the time, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mahmoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right. And they only get infected once. So your cats probably got infected and shed oocysts years ago, or have never been infected.
okay, thank you for your help.