Questions about the tape-on-the-counter deterrent.

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My newly adopted 3 month old kitten, Iroh, has just discovered that he can sometimes jump high enough to get up on our kitchen counters/stove (just barely -- he gets his claws up there and hangs on for dear life, and then sometimes struggles and manages to pull himself up.)

So far we've used the spray bottle as a deterrent for places we don't want him up on, and some times it works and he flees, and other times he just stands there like he's of the mindset "you know what, standing here on this table is just so fine and dandy that you just go and spritz me all you want" and we end up practically soaking him. =_=;

While the table is more of an annoyance, I'm really worried him eating something on the counter when I've got my backed turned or burning himself on the stove, so I really want him to stay off there. I'm trying the double-sided tape trick, but where do you put it and how much should you use? Right now I've just lined all of the edges of the counters so when he hangs from his paws he'll touch the tape. I don't really want to do a lot more than that or it's going to become a pain for us to use the counters for cooking. Who's successfully used the tape trick and how exactly did you lay out your sticky trap?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not used the tape. I found the best thing is an alarm or the motion detected spray. Its called ssscat. It is around 35.00. It is not cheap, but it emits a forcefull spray and sound. My cat hates it. Also, there are audio alarms that emit a high pitched sound. Very loud. Does the trick too. A cat on the stove is nothing to fool around with. You can't be home all the time. Once sprayed with the spray, (it really scares them) is usually enough. I don't mind scaring the heck out of my cat if it may save my home from a fire started by a cat on the stove.

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OOO mY cat would love tape on the counters! He loves to eat tape!