Questions about Ringworm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BooBoo's hair is growing back already and it isn't open and bleeding anymore!
Its just too bad what Im using isn't technically for pets... It also says not to use on children under 2, so Im figuring I can't use it on my 16 week olds! I wrapped BooBoo's paw up after I put the stuff on it because it says not to injest! But it seems to be working so well!

baobei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Glitch

I did a search using ringworm and found your thread. Just finished reading it and now realise how bad ring worm is. You've now had a lot of experience (none of it good) with ring worm and I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with some pointers/advice.

I started to get these welts on my body about a week ago

I had no idea what it was till i visited a doctor who gave me a name that a friend translated (I live in China). Is this normal for ring worm?

I'm fine so the problem is my 2 three month old kittens.

They show no signs of ringworm such as spots or baldness like you mentioned. That makes me think they are carriers only. Do you know what the treatment is for carriers?

If they to have spots, are they obvious? I'll check again tonight.

I washed them last night (not fun, like your experiences) with my shampoo and have given them clean bedding, washed my bed etc. Not sure about the couch. Can they be infected again from something like a couch they use regularly? What did you do for cleaning things such as bedding, couches, chairs etc?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by baobei

Hi Glitch

I did a search using ringworm and found your thread. Just finished reading it and now realise how bad ring worm is. You've now had a lot of experience (none of it good) with ring worm and I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with some pointers/advice.

I started to get these welts on my body about a week ago

I had no idea what it was till i visited a doctor who gave me a name that a friend translated (I live in China). Is this normal for ring worm?

I'm fine so the problem is my 2 three month old kittens.

They show no signs of ringworm such as spots or baldness like you mentioned. That makes me think they are carriers only. Do you know what the treatment is for carriers?

If they to have spots, are they obvious? I'll check again tonight.

I washed them last night (not fun, like your experiences) with my shampoo and have given them clean bedding, washed my bed etc. Not sure about the couch. Can they be infected again from something like a couch they use regularly? What did you do for cleaning things such as bedding, couches, chairs etc?
I cleaned everything from top to bottom! I have one kitty who is just a carrier as well, and I didn't have to treat him! I did however have to go through all the other stuff... no fun huh?? They can get spots in a matter of hours, so first things first, treat yourself! (that way you're not contagious either!) I used "Rely On Anti Fungal" It worked GREAT!! I did cheat and use it on my 7 year old kitty BooBoo, but then I had to wrap where I had put it to make sure he didn't lick it off! Its not suggested for cats... but I was grasping at straws! They can definatly be infected by something they lay on regularly, so disinfect the cough! Lysol works wonders for that! I was lucky and didn't get the ringworm, but I had a dickens of a time trying to kill the crud off! It wasn't until I cheated and used over the counter human products did I have any success! I used the paraguard shampoo for quite a while to for them! I have scars, and the stuff stinks like you just lit a match! At least we managed to kick ringworm in the butt though, and Ive seen people on here thats cats have had it alot longer than mine! You might want to ask your vet for some Baytril for the cats just in case they get a spot! Heres how the spots started for my kitties. It would start out looking like maybe they just got shaved in one spot, nothing open, just hair shorter in one spot, then four hours later it would be open and bleeding and nasty! I have no idea how I managed to treat them all without getting it!! Good luck man! That looks like it hurts! Im here to help if you want to talk!

baobei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Glitch.

I'm fine, using doctor prescribed salves.

You mentioned the cat that was a carrier did not need to be treated. What did you do to it to stop it from spreading ring worm to the other cats again later when they recovered?

Will have a closer look at the kittens tonight to see if they have sores or are just carriers. I've had ring worm for over a week now so they've had it for at least that long. If they were going to have sores, they'd have had them by now wouldn't they?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible (although unlikely) that you got the ringworm from some other cat you handled at the pet store.

I've had one spot on my back that has flared up twice. No idea where I got it. Not from the cats, that's for sure. Haven't touched any other animals. A real puzzle.

A fungicide will work on it. In fact, the same spray-on powder we can get here for athlete's foot will work on ringworm.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago I got ringworm on my shoulder from one of my cats. It was really weird cause I got the main ringworm and then I broke out all over my upper torso. I went to University hospital in Denver to a dermatologist and he said that I was actually having a reaction to the ringworm..It was weird. Anyways I had to be treated and all my cats had to be treated. None of them showed signs of ringworm but they got treated by the vet. I remember he gave them a pill they had to take. This was in the 80's so I don't know what they do know for it.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You see, they didn't want to give the cats the oral medication, so they had topical. You only put it were the spots are, so if there isn't any spots you dont put anything on it! So the other ones are doing fine, but like I said, I cheated! I fought it the same way you're fighting yours! I did try paragaurd shampoo, conofite lotion, baytril and all that good stuff! But when my 7 year old BooBoo got it it was the last straw! I would talk to your vet to see what your options are for the kitties!

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my opinion and I have been fighting an outbreak for 5 months is to treat aggressively, use grisseofulvin or another oral medication, treat the sores topically, bathe the cats in an antifungal shampoo and clean, clean, clean. A good cleaner with residual action is A-33 dry and health guard laundry additive for soft surfaces. Bleach is great but ruins a lot of stuff the other cleaners have a residual action so you can actually keep up with the cleaning. And for the guy with all the lesions...get yourself to a doctor. Even cats with no lesions should be treated!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia's Mom

In my opinion and I have been fighting an outbreak for 5 months is to treat aggressively, use grisseofulvin or another oral medication, treat the sores topically, bathe the cats in an antifungal shampoo and clean, clean, clean. A good cleaner with residual action is A-33 dry and health guard laundry additive for soft surfaces. Bleach is great but ruins a lot of stuff the other cleaners have a residual action so you can actually keep up with the cleaning. And for the guy with all the lesions...get yourself to a doctor. Even cats with no lesions should be treated!
He has been to the doctor as he previously stated and is being treated! I never treated the kitty that never got ringworm, and I strongly doubt any vet is going to give the oral meds without the cat having lesions! Ive played hell just getting the topicals for my cat! I guess all vets are different and I hope you get your ringworm under control!! It took me almost a month to fix it here and I cheated! So its not an easy battle, thats for sure!

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I should have specified, | meant the guy who has the lesions on his body in the previous blog should get to a doctor. I have been following yours and know you have been to the vet. Didn't mean to insinuate that you hadn't seen a vet. My vet was the one that suggested I treat all cats even the one that never broke out. I consulted a dermatologist at the university of Guelph Veterinary hospital here in Canada and he suggested the same thing. He recommended 2 weeks of grisseofulvin in case she was a carrier. Anyway the original cat to break out has been moved to a new home and I seem to be free of outbreaks now. It amazes me how many people have battled or are battling this thing. From the time my problem appeared on this forum (November 2007) until now it is never ending. Good luck Glitch.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
geez guys...

I hope this stuff never shows its ugly face around here. Sounds awful.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

geez guys...

I hope this stuff never shows its ugly face around here. Sounds awful.
HAHA!! YOU'RE TELLING US!!! Its nasty!!!