Questions About Mama Cat And Nursing

DalGal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've been fostering kittens for a few months but I just got my first Mama Cat this weekend. The shelter thinks Mama Cat is about a year old. She has three kittens, aged 4 weeks.

Since I brought them home, Mama Cat seems pretty uninterested in her kittens. I'm keeping them in a spare bedroom and bathroom. If the kittens try to leave the bathroom, she will hiss at them. But she also seems to hiss at them if they come too close to her. Otherwise she doesn't really interact with them and I haven't seen her nurse them.

The kittens seem perfectly healthy and are eating and drinking fine. But I'm worried because I thought they'd still be nursing a bit at this point.

Does any of this seem troubling? Should I be worried? How long until Mama Cat's nipples return to normal? They're still pink and enlarged and I think she's feeling tender in that area. Any advice / insight y'all have is much appreciated. Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are eating on their own? Or do you handfeed them?

Momma is probably still stressed, hasnt landed yet.

Is she a home cat, or a rescued semiferale?

You sure mommas teats seems OK, not inflammed or such?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DalGal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are eating on their own. I'm not sure about the mom's history. She was a stray when the shelter picked her up but she's so docile and comfortable with people that I think she must not have been feral.

Her teats don't seen inflamed, they're just noticable. But they're pink. They don't look red or irritated or anything.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if maybe the mom is just a bit stressed with the new home? It can take some time to adjust.

A friend had a semi-outdoor momma kitty that had her kittens in the barn, and a few days later she wandered away. After an hour, she didn't show signs of returning to them, so we brought the kittens inside and closed mom in with them in a small room. At first she hissed at them, but after a half hour she curled back up and let them nurse. Never had anymore issues.

Hopefully she will join them again soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DalGal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update! Yall were right, she was just adjusting to the new location. I just checked the pet cam and she was letting them nurse. Yay! Thanks!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you DalGal for the good news :) It confirms that, like us, our kittens sometimes need a respite from exertion and can be affected by changes.