Questions about contact lenses

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What I meant by my question, though, is am I supposed to be able to see the edges of the lens in my peripheral vision? There's a blurry line on the right and left that's fairly noticeable. Is that normal and just something that I will have to learn to ignore, similar to seeing the edges of one's glasses when wearing them? Or is it because the lens needs to be a little larger?
Oh! Boy, I feel silly now.

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

With the exception of the hard lenses 30+ years ago, all of my soft lenses have been larger than the iris of my eye, so I've never had a problem with seeing the edge of the lens.
This was part of the reason I switched to contacts. I hated sitting in class and having to lift my head to see the board/overhead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

There's no need to! I sometimes word stuff oddly, it makes sense in my head but probably not to anyone else.

I was given a quick fitting, I assume Tuesday will be for a fuller fitting. And if he can't or doesn't really seem that interested in finding my proper fit and a different brand, I'll switch to someone else.

coatedpill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This was part of the reason I switched to contacts. I hated sitting in class and having to lift my head to see the board/overhead.
I agree. That's also my main reason why i switched to contact lens.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wear the Focus night and day contacts. They are made to breathe more so you can wear them for 30 days straight... which I do. The only time I have a problem with blinking them out is in the mornings when my eyes are really dry. I'm willing to bet that wouldn't be a problem if you take them out every night though.

Also, my Dr. gave me a free pair to start with. I've never asked but they might let you have a free pair of a few brands to find a lense that works. If not, most maunfacturers have coupons you can print for a free trial pair which your Dr. can use to recover the cost.
This is my brand too and I LOVE them! I used to get the Accuvue caught under my eyelid when it would dislodge and fold back. The Night and Day don't do that. They are a little larger than the Accuvue so they stay put better and seem to fit better. I also leave mine in for 30 days, then clean them and wear them again for another 30 days. Also my eyes are not nearly as dry with this brand.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wear contacts years ago. I liked them but I had problems with them too. My eyes tend to produce a lot of protein and it built up in the lenses and that's not something you can completely remove with cleaning so it builds up and the more it accumulates on the lenses the more problems you have.

I tried going to the disposable kind but my eye lids sit really close to my eyeball and the disposable lenses (at least that that time) didn't have beveled edges so the edge of the lens irritated my eye and essentially caused me to get a blister from the eye lid rubbing against it.

I was thinking about looking into contacts again because they have advanced quite a bit. But now I need progressive lenses and I don't know if I am even a candidate for them anymore.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try monovision. My left eye is corrected for reading and my right eye for distance. I love it! No glasses, no bifocals. It works very well for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^It seems that I've heard of that before.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I was thinking about looking into contacts again because they have advanced quite a bit. But now I need progressive lenses and I don't know if I am even a candidate for them anymore.
They make contacts for that, they're weighted so that they align right.

I went ahead and tried the Accuvue oasys. They still bother my eyes a little bit when they're in but do not cause the redness that the regular Accuvue did - and my eyes don't hurt the next day even after nearly 12 hours of wear.
In fact Friday morning my eyes were red but I had to have the contacts in for an appointment - the redness got better.

As for why they bother me, it's because my eye is a bit oddly shaped. They peak a bit off center and "towards the temples". So when I blink the lenses are naturally pushed that way a little then realigned over the cornea. I also look out the corners of my eyes a lot.
And the optometrist had never heard of someone who could remove their contacts by blinking them out - I have to actually try and tighten the lids a little. It pushes them right off my corneas and out of my eye - which is safer that trying to remove them with my fingers because I do have moderately long fingernails.

He also upped the power on my right eye since I have just enough astigmatism that it's noticeable but not enough for a toric.

I also switched to the Clear Clean solution and use saline to rinse just in case. This seems to help a lot.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have allergies and very dry eyes.. I love Focus Dailies Aqua Comfort Plus.. they are excellent. I don't wear contacts every day- so they work nice for me. I love tossing them out at the end of the day and they stay very moist. They run about an extra $100 per year, via Walmart. Oddly enough I've found the cheapest contacts thru Walgreens.com and following the link from walmart.com to 1800contacts.com. For some reason if you follow the link from Walmart.com, contacts are cheaper on 1800contacts.com.