Questions about a recovered stray/feral(?) cat

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - I was thinking the hiding places in the basement would allow him to escape.  If that's not the case and he bolts for cover, just act like he's out with you.  Talk like its a normal thing and he should get the idea.

If this is the place he'll be spending time in furure, he might as well get used to it.  If he can't get hurt or escape from the hiding places, he should be fine using them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gjarboni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: @Ondine you were absolutely right. He runs in to the bathroom when he gets scared and otherwise he scurries from hiding place to looking out the window. He seems happy, but he's still nervous around me. I'm thinking he expects me to try to chase him. Anyway,the only thing that worries me (slightly)  is that the other cats seem to like chasing him or (in Gildenstern's case)  hassling him. By hassling I mean trying to swat at him when he's under the coach.I've also seen tufts of fur, from (I assume) the other cats swatting at him. Anyway,  here are some pictures of him, out and about:

And here's a picture of him right before I let him out for good:

Thanks again for all the help and support. I couldn't have done this without you.

Jason M.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other cats are reacting normally to what they see as an intruder. He's out now, so formal introductions are moot. But watch them to make sure they don't get into a fight.

gjarboni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I forgot to wrap this up. Oliver is out and about and has free reign of the downstairs and occasionally goes upstairs. He calls for me and shows me his belly. He's really cute. Here's a pic from just now:

Once again thanks for ondine ondine , @Susank521, @Ritz, and @dsue. He and Rogue even touched noses. And no one's chasing him non-consentually! I haven't gotten to pet him yet , but that will come with time.

Maybe when I come up with some free time, I can help answer a few questions here.

With much gratitude,

Jason M.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful new!  Thanks so much for the update.  He does look content. Just remember any changes may make him revert.

Cats are such creatures of habit.  Mine take a day to recuperate when I vacuum!

gjarboni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Further update: Oliver now seems like all my other cats, if a bit jumpy. He lets me pet him and scratch his belly and he's always happy to see me when I wake up in the morning. It took a bit for him to get used to me petting his tail. I'd pet him from head, down his body, and then lightly run his tail through my hand. He used to give me the funniest look! But now he's fine with that too. He spends time upstairs when I'm upstairs and has free reign except for my bedroom.

The only thing is that my two oldest cats still aren't friends with him. They're the reason he doesn't come in to my bedroom. But they've become less hostile, so I'm assuming things will get better with time. Also while my oldest cat was in the hospital and home recuperating, he's made inroads and comes in to the bathroom in the bedroom. I don't know if it's because he's still recovering, but my oldest cat doesn't seem too concerned.

He does get along great with my fourth, second youngest cat. They wrestle all the time and seem to really like each other.

So all in all, everything worked out in the end :) Thanks again for all the help.

Jason M.

tiliqua

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read this thread.  What a great story!  Lucky Oliver. 

It's amazing how far they will come with lots of time and patience.  :)