Question

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was spayed on june 27. the vet told me that her stitches would fall out in 14 days. it is now july 16, and they show no sign of falling out. her incision wound is healed wonderfully, and all is well, save for a bunch of strings dangling provoatively from her belly. i called them to ask when these stitches would fall out yesterday and the secretary mumbled "they usually fall out in 14 days..." and changed the subject. Is anyone else familiar with these types of stitches? Is it normal for them to stay in that long? Should I just take her in and get them removed? I'd like to return her to the general kitty population, but the others think that her stitches are toys...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stitches either need to be removed by the vet (and in the UK it is after 10 days) or the cat removes them herself, or they have dissolvable stitches, which I suppose may fall out, but again, i would have thought it would be sooner than 14 days.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

My cat was spayed on june 27. the vet told me that her stitches would fall out in 14 days. it is now july 16, and they show no sign of falling out. her incision wound is healed wonderfully, and all is well, save for a bunch of strings dangling provoatively from her belly. i called them to ask when these stitches would fall out yesterday and the secretary mumbled "they usually fall out in 14 days..." and changed the subject. Is anyone else familiar with these types of stitches? Is it normal for them to stay in that long? Should I just take her in and get them removed? I'd like to return her to the general kitty population, but the others think that her stitches are toys...
My cats were neutered, and there were no stitches at all. But if you are in doubt, call them back, and tell them stiches haven't fallen out. If a secretary is no help, demand to talk to a Dr. Actually, demand to talk to a Dr. anyway, because what does a secretary know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

My cats were neutered, and there were no stitches at all. But if you are in doubt, call them back, and tell them stiches haven't fallen out. If a secretary is no help, demand to talk to a Dr. Actually, demand to talk to a Dr. anyway, because what does a secretary know?
My thoughts exactly. I'm actually looking into changing vets, as this vet is never available by phone. It's usually just a secretary who ties up the line half the time calling friends and family.

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would definitely find a new vet, she shouldn't be brushing you off like that when you have a concern about your cat! When Meeko had surgery recently, we had to go back to the vet after 10 days to have the stitches removed - I've heard of the disolving stitches, though, and I'm not sure how long they take to dissolve - I would call another vet and ask.