Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea i see your point. But that doens'tmean everyone has got to stop? Right now I have 6 cats, and the last litter of kittens died because the mom mysteriously left the farm (someon took her) and I took the kittens to the vet and everything, tried bottle feeding and what ever I could and yet the still died. I Held everyone of them as they took their last breath!! But i know that happens sometimes. It brok emy heart, oh how it broke my heart, but that doens't mean I should stop letting my cats have kittens. I have one female left, adn she is so cute, i love her to death. If she were sick or soemthing I would consider gettign her spayed, but she'd in perfectly good health. And the only reason y cats start to have birthing problems is because they are so domestic. They're just like cattle. The tamer they are the more likely they are to have problems. And i know where my kittens go if I give them away. I give them to friends in the community adn I still ask about them. They aren't a science experiment. I appreciate the worry you have for my cats, adn if I thought my cats had anything wrong with them i would consider it. But i just don't think I have the right to take the cat's right awya to be mother. Thats liek saying since there is an overpopulation of human all female need to start getting their tubes tied. That wouldn't be fair, so why infringe that on to my cats. I want to be a mom, and so does she!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But i just don't think I have the right to take the cat's right awya to be mother. Thats liek saying since there is an overpopulation of human all female need to start getting their tubes tied. That wouldn't be fair, so why infringe that on to my cats. I want to be a mom, and so does she!
Difference is...whether there is an overpopulation of humans or not....we don't take healthy people and end their lives. Every day that is happening with cats/kittens. I don't for a moment believe that cats WANT to be pregnant....it is something they do because they go into heat and there is a male to inpregnant them. But God made US (humans) responsible for their well being...and I think we are doing a piss poor job if we are shoving them into gas chambers and sticking them with needles because WE decided to it was important to keep breeding them when there were already too many.

Benefits of spaying/neutering:

BENEFITS YOU
Spaying and neutering can eliminate or reduce the incidence of a number of serious health problems that can be difficult or expensive to treat.
Spaying and neutering can make pets better companions.
Neutering cats makes them less likely to spray and mark their territory with pungent urine.
Spaying a dog or cat eliminates her heat cycle. Estrus lasts an average of six to 12 days, often twice a year in dogs and an average of six to seven days, three or more times a year, in cats. Cats in heat can cry incessantly, and dogs and cats in heat may appear nervous and may attract unwanted males.
Neutering can make pets less likely to roam, run away, or get into fights.
Unsterilized animals often exhibit more behavior and temperament problems than do those that have been spayed or neutered.
Neutering may make dogs less likely to bite.

BENEFITS YOUR PET
Spaying and neutering helps cats and dogs live longer, healthier lives.
Spaying eliminates the possibility of uterine or ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the incidence of breast cancer, especially when your pet is spayed before her first heat.
Spaying can prevent various reproductive tract disorders
Neutering eliminates testicular cancer and decreases the incidence of benign prostate disease.

BENEFITS YOUR COMMUNITY
An estimated 8-10 million animals are taken in by animal shelters each year
An estimated 4-5 million animals are euthanized in shelters each year
The stray/feral cat population is estimated to be in the tens of millions
Communities spend millions of dollars to control unwanted animals.
Animal shelters are overburdened with surplus animals.
Stray pets and homeless animals may get into trash containers, defecate in public areas or on private lawns, and frighten or anger people who have no understanding of their misery or needs.

Katie

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadheart

Yea i see your point. But that doens'tmean everyone has got to stop? Right now I have 6 cats, and the last litter of kittens died because the mom mysteriously left the farm (someon took her) and I took the kittens to the vet and everything, tried bottle feeding and what ever I could and yet the still died. (1)I Held everyone of them as they took their last breath!! But i know that happens sometimes. It brok emy heart, oh how it broke my heart, (2)but that doens't mean I should stop letting my cats have kittens.<snip> (5)The tamer they are the more likely they are to have problems. <snip>(3)Thats liek saying since there is an overpopulation of human all female need to start getting their tubes tied. That wouldn't be fair, so why infringe that on to my cats. I want to be a mom, and (4)so does she!
1: But the blunt fact is those kittens wouldn't have been lost if you'd spayed the mom.
2:Yes, it does mean you should spay and neuter them...you say you love them, but you are risking (unless you are going to tell me you test each of these toms for felv/fiv) serious disease, or pyometra, or mammary cancer from years of heat cycles.
3:We don't euthanize humans...there is no comparison.
4: your cat does not have the same sequence of thoughts re having a baby...being a good mother once a situation she could not prevent was thrust upon her is not the same as the cat longing to become a mother.

Your attitude is very unfortunate for your cats, and your assumptions about most members being "town folk" is more than a bit off..but I'll let those members who are far from town folk speak for themselves.

5:I hope you'll really hear what everyone is saying. It is not in your cats best interests to be bred like this, it is not a emotional necessity for them to have kittens, it is not a matter of fact that "tamer" cats have more birthing issues - try instead the conditions they are living in while pregnant, how you are feeding them, what conditions the kittens are being raised in (inside or out..in the barn, a shed?), the expecting that you will lose some.

The members here love cats, and with that comes wanting them to have long and healthy lives, and to not see them abandoned, undervalued, live short lives or having kitten losses seen as "it happens". It doesn't have to most of the time.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a clue where you are getting your facts? Perhaps plucking them out of mid air to strengthen your arguement. I have been rescuing and doing bottle babies for over 20 years now. I do not live in town, I have seen plenty of wild feral moms deliver dead or malformed babies. I have seen mastitis set in, seen what pyometra can do, and witnessed first hand airborne fights during mating season of two tomcats that were not going to be trapped no matter what I did.

You can go ahead and argue your point of letting kittens have kittens, and cats having kittens till the cattle come home, but the bottom line is YOU are a backyard breeder and I am so against people such as yourself because of your inablility to see the forest for the trees. If you love kittens so much, go visit an animal shelter, so what if you have to drive 100 miles or better to get there- go there sometime and look around at all the cats in cages that need homes and then visit death row and see the animals that have hours or even minutes left, unless an organization like Second Chance appears at the last moment to stop the euthanasia of the cats.

You sit with a tomcat that has been ripped open during mating season and his wounds have abscessed. He is to wild to take in to the vet's office, so you do all you can to comfort him as he takes his last breath. You sit with someone who has just rushed their dying cat to the vet because it met unfortunately with a car and lost the battle- and then you come back and continue your pointless arguement that cats should have kittens, because God gave them the equipment to do so- God also gave us stewardship over the animals and it is up to us to stop the needless suffering of so many just so a few kittens can come into the world. You say you only have one litter a year, but if your tom wanders, he is also creating more litters out of your eyesight- so you need to consider these things before coming onto a cat welfare board and preaching a message such as you are-

sadheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey, u know what i'm leaving, i have had cats hit, one of my house cats thank you very much. I live on a road it happens quite frequently. As I said Its not like I have millions of cat I have 6. One female. And she came from an unwanted home. I see your opinion, but where i live we don't have that. But since I'm a backyard breeder I guess I'm not welcomed. I came on to this forum for cat information, not for ridicule. But what ever. I love my cats they are outside cats, and I have no reason to take away my cats rights. The only purpose you see for cats is to be cute little pets just for you. Well thats not what they are on the earth for. ON my farm they are mousers. In the city they aren't supposed to. but I can't do nething for that. All my cats stay home. And Its not me giving away my kittens. I keep all of mine. All my cats are healthy. As i said If one of my cats where sick I would nueter or spay them but until then, they are goin to be loved, and have kittens. The cats don't get hurt and I monitor them closely. So i know when something is wrong. But I've had it! How the hell do i get out of this website?? SO my name no longer exists???

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to leave, then so be it. But we do not, as a rule, delete memberships. I'm sorry there is no way of changing your mind. There are other members here with "working" cats, so to speak, and being spayed or neutered does not impact their ability to catch mice in any way. Your position of cats having the "right" to breed goes against everything this website and forum stands for. Period. Whether they are house cats or farm cats or ferals, every cat that is not in a responsible and registered breeding program should be spayed, or you are just adding to the pet overpopulation problem.

sadheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what ever. If mixed cats aren't allowed to breed than niether should fricken purebred, since the situation is THAT bad!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadheart

what ever. If mixed cats aren't allowed to breed than niether should fricken purebred, since the situation is THAT bad!
You know our position....we know yours. May I recommend that you find another website.

Katie

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try doing some research outside of your own head if you want to know anything about the overpopulation problem. I presume you don't want to know, though. FYI, purebred cats are generally less than 1% of the cats who end up in shelters on death row, so responsible breeding programs don't add to the problem.

There is nothing more to say on this matter on either side. If you want to stay, please lose the attitude. If not, best wishes.

This thread is now closed.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Although this thread is locked down, it will remain visible to the membership for educational reasons. Please people, spay and neuter your outside kitties, whether they are barn cats or strays- please spay and neuter them. If you can't then stop feeding them and don't own cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.