question...

missglass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In a month my baby will be old enough to get spayed. But i really would like her to have a chance to be a mother.. I know many family members the kuttens could go to good homes and id keep one.
But is it better to spay her?
And how would i even find her a mate lol shes an indoor cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it seems that they should become a mother, but why? When you think of the literal thousands of unwanted homeless kittens in this world, it seems a crying shame to bring more into this world. And then there's the chance of things that could go wrong with the labor/delivery, it just doesn't want me to take a chance. If you've ever seen two cats mate, you'll be screaming rape, it's not pleasant at all for the female, and to top it off the male's member is 'barbed'! If you insist on letting her become pregnant, don't worry, she'll find a way to get out of the house, and her ceaseless crying will about make you want her outside! I'd get her a kitten to grow up with from a private individual or the shelter, go with your relative and make it a family affair! Just visit a shelter, your heart will ache with all the cats needing homes. Either way you go, good luck and keep us posted!

badcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat, Monstur, made me bonkers with her "let me out" yowling ALL NIGHT LONG! That was more than enough to convince me to have her spayed sooner rather than later. That sound will drive you mad in a hurry.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
DEFINITELY get her spayed. Not only will it mean less unwanted kittens in the world, (Because your relatives who want one of her kittens could give a home to a needy cat from a shelter.) it will also mean she is much healthier, less likely to get cancer and a much calmer, nicer cat to be around. Also you won't have to put up with her yowling for a mate and spraying your house every time she comes into season.

All my female cats are spayed, you notice a change in their personality after they've got over the operation. They're always much sweeter and calmer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missglass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's so sweet and calm already.. And is indoor cat. Her heat moew isn't bad.
I already have homes for them if she were to.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OK, I have to admit I'm a bit biased.

Kittens are adorable, but at this time of year there are always so many unwanted kittens around that I'm trying to find homes for. I know that the older cats that didn't find homes before they got to their first birthday don't stand much of a chance of finding a new home any more. I'd love it if there were more people going to the shelters and giving those cats and kittens a chance. It would be great if you could persuade some of your friends to do that, and maybe get a buddy for your cat at the same time.

Are you thinking of just letting her have one litter and then getting her spayed? Every time she goes through a heat cycle her chances of getting cancer increase so it's best not to leave her un-spayed too long. And then what about her kittens? If you keep one are you going to let her have a litter before she gets spayed? Or if it's a boy kitten are you going to take the risk of him mating with his mother? Un-neutered male cats can be quite smelly if kept indoors. Also, if your cats are un-spayed and un-neutered they are constantly going to be looking for a way out of your house to find a mate. Indoor only cats don't do well outdoors, it's kind of dangerous to risk having them try to escape.

As I said, I'm biased. I have a house full of foster cats that need a home and it's really overwhelming to think of all the new kittens coming into the world at the moment. Before you let her get pregnant, would you go down to your local shelter and have a look at all the cats there? I'm not saying you have to go and get one (Although of course it would be great if you did.) I'm just saying go and take a look at how many kittens are waiting for a home before you think about letting your cat have any.

What ever you decide to do, keep us posted. You'll find lots of information on this site about pregnant cats, kittens and how to introduce a new cat to your current one.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I forgot about the 'spraying' even the females do when they are in heat, she may not have done it yet but that comes with age. Also another thing that comes is that they turn around and almost immediately go into heat again if they are not bred, it's never ending! Kittens are sweet but the ones at the shelter desperately need a forever home before it's too late. I've got a pregnant female right now that someone dumped out in the street, she is so scared and has no idea how to survive outdoors, what will happen to her unwanted kittens? I'm sure, if I can find them, I'll have to try to find them homes at the shelter, even if I have to pay to do so.

skyefoxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there!

I'm suppose I'm just here to reinforce everything that was just said but I'll put my two cents in.  I volunteer at a shelter that is exclusively cats and I am currently taking a vet tech class.  We actually went over this topic just a few weeks ago.  It's definitely better to spay her.  It makes a surgery a little more complicated when you do decide to get her spayed after having a litter plus is does increase the risk for cancer.  From my shelter experience, everyone is bracing themselves right now for kitten season.  Maybe your litter would move on to have great homes but there are thousands out there right now who don't.  After they don't look like kittens anymore it becomes so much harder for them to find homes.  If your friends/family are looking for a new friend, they could be saving other lives.

Good luck!