Question??????

tj1159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Didnt know where to  ask this so I'm asking here LOL!!!!!

questions is are cats color blind? I have heard that some animals are color Blind. Just was wondering LOL!!!!! 

MY girls seem to flavor toys of bright colors. They go after my yarn all the time, so I gave them some white yarn to play with

then the saw the red & went after the red. Thats why I was wondering. Kitty  LOL!!!!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is what I found at answers.com.

No, they are not color blind. They see some colors, but not all colors. And they see colors differently than humans do.

Cats seem to be able to distinguish between higher frequency colors, meaning cats respond to the colors purple, blue, green and possibly yellow range. Red, orange and brown colors appear to fall outside cats color range and are most likely seen as shades of grey or purple.

Purple, blue and green appear to be the strongest colors perceived by cats. Tests suggest cats can distinguish between more shades or levels of gray than can humans.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats by nature are crepuscular - wonderful word which means they are active at dawn and dusk - and have eyes designed to see in less light than ours (about 1/6th).  Like all animals that do they have relatively limited colour vision.

One of the adaptation is the reflecting lining to the retina which is what makes their eyes glow at night in some lighting conditions.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any indication cats can see at all into the infrared range, as deer can?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tj1159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply's I thought they could tell the difference between some colors. Like Blue, &

Yellow.  I guess the red yarn look's like purple better than the white LOL!!!!!  good to know thanks again. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great question! Thanks for asking it. I had been wondering the same thing, but kept forgetting to look it up.

-So my cat see's my hair as gray, or purple?  "But I cover the gray!"
  Well,  purple is one of my favorite colors! LOL!