QUESTION- When is it TOO LOUD???

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind loud music, but when you live in an apartment you need to be courteous of those living around you. I always have kept my music and such at a respectable level while living close to others. These people need to think of thier neighbors, and be alittle more respectful.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live, you are not allowed to have anything that people can hear from outside your own apartment. Which is great, because people who don't like that would never live here

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that. My downstairs neighbor at my last place played his music so loud at all hours that my bed shook-- and there was a whole nother apartment between us. He went to court 7 times in one semester for noise violations. You would think you'd get the hint!

Just because you can't hear it technically doesn't make it any better, the guy is still being inconsiderate! Your other neighbors are undoubtedly annoyed with it too. Nobody likes hearing the beat and some of other people's music!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh pamela!

Dont presume tht the music is loud!

My mother is also deaf and used to complain all the time, its just the bass doing the walls in.

Ive had my neighbour come up twice since ive lived here complaining about the music being loud, it was actually at its lowest it was just the bass mesing with the walls going boom boom boom boom!!

Cats can handle loud music
they have a beter hearing than humans anyway!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can feel it then it is definitely too loud. We live on the third floor - and the people above are really bad at playing music far too loud. Plus the woman there lives in high heeled boots (she was tramping around in them last night at 4am!!) So yes, I would go up there and just explain your situation. You're boud to get some rolling eyes and protest, but you can call the police for breach of the peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Your neighbours probably have their music loud because they know you are deaf and can't hear it. However, if you explain to them that you are sensitive to the vibrations, perhaps they would be more considerate.

Do you have a hearing friend who can come over and help you identify the source of the music?
I am not sure if my neighbors know I'm deaf. I pretty much keep to myself since this is not a great neighborhood that I live in and most of the ppl here speaks and write spanish only which I do not write or speak!

Also, the few hearing friends I have lives a bit far from where I live so I do not want to ask them to come all the way over just to identify where the music is coming from..

Originally Posted by Momofmany

I used to go on an annual weekend outing and canoe trip with a large group of deaf folks (it was a midwest rally and there were probably about 350 people). When we would go to the local club at night, the DJ would turn the bass all the way up so that everyone could dance.

You know what I found out those weekends? That deaf people dance a lot better than hearing people. It's all about the beat and the beat comes from the bass.
LOL!! I used to be part of a dance group in high school but quit after injuring a knee severely in a car accident. I lost interest in music after that.
I remmy once my family came to 1 of my dance concerts and overheard a couple in front of me trying to guess which dancer was deaf since they heard there was a deaf dancer. During the whole concert the couple were making guesses at who the deaf girl could be -they would pick out the lousy dancers and say that girl must be deaf..
Imagine how they must've felt after the concert when my dad leant over and told them that they guessed wrong about who the deaf gal was and pointed me out to them. They were soo shocked cuz I stayed with the beat and was a good dancer.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Many years ago, I saw a professional deaf-dance troupe perform! They put big speakers face down on the stage floor and danced to the vibrations... it was wonderful!
Your landlord should not expect you to confront a neighbor, and in fact, the police will urge you not to, as well. It's too easy for that to turn into a dangerous situation. If your security people won't take care of it, go ahead and contact the police -- you can remain anonymous.
You're RIGHT- I DO NOT want to confront any of the neighbors cuz they could cause problems for me easily and especially since this is not a great neighborhood. A guy was murdered 3 buildings down about 7 months ago. I can't wait to find a home and move out!

Originally Posted by LilleKat

If you can feel it then it is definitely too loud. We live on the third floor - and the people above are really bad at playing music far too loud. Plus the woman there lives in high heeled boots (she was tramping around in them last night at 4am!!) So yes, I would go up there and just explain your situation. You're boud to get some rolling eyes and protest, but you can call the police for breach of the peace.
The problem is I do not know which neighbor is playing music too loud- there are 6 apartments in this building. I can feel the music but can't identify where it is coming from. I also do not want to confront any of the neighbors since it could cause problems later on.

The music stopped last nite so it's fine. I don't think it happens often that I notice. If it starts happening frequently or if it starts to bother me, I will call the security and ask them to help out without identifying me.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it's the bass. I have been stopped at a traffic light when a car with its bass cranked up pulls up behind me. The intensity of the sounds waves was so high it almost made me nauseous. (Personally, I want to start a rumor that the sounds waves makes those men impotent.
)

Have you considered getting a small/cheap tape/digital recorder for when the music gets to be too much?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say yeah way too loud! Right now I can clearly hear someone's music and my house isn't shaking. Yesterday it was because some doofus was outside with their music blasting from thier car. DH has called the cops before because of it, but only at night when it's like that. I can't wait to move!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I agree it's the bass. I have been stopped at a traffic light when a car with its bass cranked up pulls up behind me. The intensity of the sounds waves was so high it almost made me nauseous.
My car I drove in college didn't have a cd player, so I got a portable adapter for it. Well one day I was at a red light and a car pulled up next to me with it's base up so high it made my cd skip because it was shaking my car so bad!