Question regardig tar in cat fur

hdayton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have a shop cat that got into tar. We took her to the vet and they removed a lot of it and had to shave her tail. However her back feet were covered pretty bad and they had to stop for fear of skin removal. We have tried to continue to put mineral oil on it. Will this tar grow out with her fur so we can clip out eventually or will her fur even grow with this much tar on her? She is hard to handle and we don't want her to have this on her fur to long if its unhealthy for her. thanks so uch for any info!:)

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
There may be some pet safe "goo-gone" type products out there. It may be a bit better than mineral oil, but keep in mind that most cats don't like a citrus smell.
I would continue to try and get as much tar off as you can (without causing any injuries) for fear if her trying to clean herself and eating some of it.
I'm not sure what you feed her, but a can of wet food or treats while you're trying to remove some of the tar might make it a bit less stressful on her as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard of trying peanut butter, but have no idea if it would work any better than most oils. Same thing with mayo. Goo Gone has a topical (skin) product, but since it contains citrus, I am not sure that would be a good idea.

I think whatever product you use, you are just going to have to use it on a daily basis - for a brief period of time, as long as your cat will allow. That might enable you to get at least a little bit off each day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hdayton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information:) I hate having to do this. I know she hates it:( Thanks again!