Question Re Books

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like to start collecting the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I can't seem to find Relic in hardcover, only in paperback.

As a rule, when I collect books, I try to stay with hardcover titles as much as I can. Not really sure why, but it's what I do. When I buy books, it's with the idea that I'm going to keep them. And re-read them, not once but several times. I guess I like hardcover books more so than paperbacks. My Stephen King books are hardcover as are my Janet Evanovich/Plum books. Alan Dean Foster in hardcover as much as possible. There are others, too. If it's a book that I'll read, but not "keep" or not reread, then it doesn't really matter. Some are hard to find in hardcover though.

So my question to you book collectors: Do you buy books in hardcover or in paperback? Does it matter to you?

My first thought was to buy the books as ebooks. I can still reread them that way. And I really don't have room in the house for the books I have now, let alone adding to the mix. But, oh, I don't know....the idea of holding a hardcover book that I really enjoy reading seems better somehow. And I know that doesn't make a lick of sense!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I prefer paperback. I think it's more paperback than hardcover only because it's lighter and easier to hold. Although I do buy hardcover large print if I find them. I usually find library edition hard cover for large print for $1..I have about 20 or so books..Sometimes I end up reading it in paperback then send the hardcover on. I have a bedroom I converted into a library but right now it's kind of sloppy looking. I have boxes of stuff I need to get rid of in the library..I don't like ebooks because they are expensive and not sure I would like to use a library collection only because I get into certain authors and I tend to collect authors I have read in the past so then I do a marathon reading of that author...I just prefer books..and of course I can find them for about a quarter to 50 cents so to me that's cheap entertainment.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a lot for fun and for work and tend to prefer hardcovers because I like writing notes inside the back cover! :p Lots of books, though, are sold only as "paperback originals," which are, of course, cheaper than new hardcovers. Then again, I buy lots of my hardcovers used and love stocking up at the annual library book sale. And remainder tables. Or Dollar Tree, where I've found some good ones. I tend to keep books, too, and "sloppy" is the way to describe my librarian skills!

There are sometimes books that I have to read electronically, which I don't particularly like since I stare at my computer screen all day. Friends that use readers a lot suggest getting a device that's intended to just be a reader, something with a non-glare screen that looks like paper. That definitely helps (I bought a Kobo, which is pretty good) but sometimes technical issues come up with format. Or I forget to switch off the device and the charge runs out! Some libraries will lend readers and show you how to use them -- I've found that devices and/or reading apps are not always intuitive, at least for me!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most books I now purchase for Kindle. I read quite a bit so it saves some money and space of course. I tend to read mostly while commuting and carrying a book with me had become too cumbersome along with everything else in my bag. Plus, as I've gotten older my hands tend to go numb in the reading position (I have the same issue driving long distances) - but the Kindle doesn't seem to do that for me. Maybe it's related to the weight of the book too.

However, I still buy hardcovers of certain authors especially if I'm looking for a signed copy. Also, any cookbooks. I want visuals for recipes and my Kindle is black and white. I like being able to actually paw through a cookbook. Books on art, photography and the like - always hardcover too.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a library set up in my basement. Then we had a flood, and a huge number of books were lost.

On the other hand, way, way back when, in my Palm Pilot days, I subscribed to Baen's monthly bundle, which allowed me to see books a month before they came out in hard cover, and to follow the final edits before publication. After I came home from brain surgery (benign tumor) in 2012 I got in touch with Baen and asked about recovering those books. I didn't even remember my email address from that far back, but the people at Baen managed to figure it out and restore my account! I've now downloaded all of those books again in newer formats.

In addition to the availability of major price discounts on ebooks, via mailing lists like BookBub and Early Bird Books, they have the huge advantage that you can't lose them. Also, if I put them on my Nook I can take several books with me, to read when I'm standing in line or sitting in a waiting room, and they weigh less and take up less room in my bag than a single hardback. If I had more room on my smartphone I'd be carrying a book or two on it.

This is why I greatly prefer ebooks.

Margret

Last edited:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly read on my Kindle nowadays and prefer ebooks. As Margaret said, I often get notified on discounts as well as suggestions; and it's so easy to find any book you'd like on the Amazon Kindle store. I also have a neurological condition which means that the nerves in my fingers are quite sensitive to the feel of paperbacks, so I much prefer ebooks.
But; it is nice to read the old fashioned way every once in a while!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I sit here typing this, I can see my bookshelf with over 100 books on it. Most are paperback, with maybe a third hardcover. In most cases, I prefer the paperback, and re-read them until the covers are literally falling off.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the Pendergast books. That would be cool to have them all in hard cover.

I'll usually find the soft cover and if I really like it I'll look for the hard cover at Good Will or St. Vincents to add at to my library. I've bought quite a few ebooks over the last few years too. There are a few that I want to get the hard covers also.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have bookcases in 4 rooms, full of books. I hardly ever read anything except eBooks on the Kindle now, and 99.9% of the time I get them "free" with my subscription to Kindle Unlimited. I got a pretty good deal for 2 years, and I like it because I discover books and authors I wouldn't if I was buying them. This way, if I start one and don't like it, I can just send it back.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a big book buyer and reader. But When I was working and spent three hours a day commuting I listened to books on CD during the drive. Now that I am retired I still love to listen to books more so than read them. Takes up less space in the house as well.

If you are a Stephen King fan, my all time favorite book of his and I think his most beautifully written is Duma Key. You have to read that one if you haven’t.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. I haven't decided what I want to do. Rick would like me to collect ebooks, simply because we don't have a lot of space in the house anymore.

I have an old Nook Tablet that Rick's mother is using right now to read; I download library ebooks for her. I also have a Kindle Paperwhite that I originally bought for Rick's mother, thinking she would like that more than the Nook. She doesn't like it and I have to say, I don't really care for it either. I downloaded the Nook app to my iPad and have been using that, but have also been using my iPad to download library ebooks for me.

For my favorite books, though, nothing beats a hardcover book.

susanm9006 susanm9006 I have every King book he published (other than Cujo), including the Richard Bachman books. Duma Key was excellent. I'm also reading Joe Hill's books; he's King's son and he's pretty good.

I should be getting the new Pendergast Verses for the Dead tomorrow. I ordered it from B & N because of the extra chapter the B & N version contains. And it's in hardcover.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Space is a huge problem for us also Winchester Winchester

The house we're in is pretty small, little storage other than the attic and basement (which tends to dampness so that's not an option).

I have box loads of books up in the attic because we don't even have wall space for bookcases. Another reason for switching over mainly to e-books. If the house were larger, I'm sure we'd both still be choosing hard covers over electronic in a lot of instances.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Space is a huge problem for us also Winchester Winchester

The house we're in is pretty small, little storage other than the attic and basement (which tends to dampness so that's not an option).

I have box loads of books up in the attic because we don't even have wall space for bookcases. Another reason for switching over mainly to e-books. If the house were larger, I'm sure we'd both still be choosing hard covers over electronic in a lot of instances.
I hear you: I just realized we have bookcases in every room of the house but the bedroom and bathrooms! There's still a little shelf space left but not much so I've been trying to cull a little.

I wish I could get more used to ebooks but I have to stick Post-its on my bookshelves to remind me to read certain ebooks. :oops: I'm just not that into them, though I have to say that there are times when I do really like them because I can adjust the font size and search for passages using words.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I borrow e-books from the library now, so no longer buy real books. But when I did buy books, I tended to buy the paperbacks, simply because they were cheaper.

If I wanted to build a collection of an author, I think I'd want all the books in the same format, and most likely hardcover, so that everything would be the same size.

My dream was always to have a room designated as my library, and have it filled with bookshelves and books. However, that never happened, and since I never reread books anyway, it wouldn't have been very practical.

Speaking of books, we have a All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019 where we list the books we enjoy and/or are currently reading, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, and wants to join in.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a used-book shop in our area, and Michele and I will get 8 or 10 books each, and then swap them back when we're done. That saves on space and money. The thing about real books is you never have to worry about batteries dying on you.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a used-book shop in our area, and Michele and I will get 8 or 10 books each, and then swap them back when we're done. That saves on space and money. The thing about real books is you never have to worry about batteries dying on you.
Yes, that's like how a friend and I go to library book sales and then swap books. (And give them to a third friend who then brings them to work and gives them to someone else.)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
E-readers like the Kindle Fire, etc don't use regular batteries. You charge them like you'd charge your cell phone.

I'm over physical books. They take up too much space and they gather dust. 99% of the books I download are free so if I decide I don't like them, I delete them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
A lot of the free books that I get from freebooksy.com are really bad. I put those on my Kindle Paperwhite and read them when I don't have other books to read. I use the Nook app on my iPad for "serious" books (i.e. books that I do want to keep and re-read).

While I have downloaded some e-cookbooks from freebooksy.com, most of my cookbooks are in print format, largely because of the pictures and because I can just flop it on the kitchen counter if I'm following a recipe.

I'd love to have a decent secondhand book shop around here, but alas, we're not that lucky. When I visit with my GF in Connecticut, we'll hit up The Book Barn and the Book Barn Annex. They have a great selection of used books, both in paperback and hardcover and at good prices. I'd bring home several bags of books with me. It's a storage issue.