Question: Rapid Breathing When 9-week-old Sleeping

ZZR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, new member. Just a quick question. I have an appointment with a vet for the 16th but I just want to know if I shouldn't wait that long. I adopted an eight week old kitten nearly a week ago and he's very rambunctious, very playful, he eats regularly and goes to the litter regularly, he's had a few sneezes here and there but there hasn't been any panting or wheezing or coughing but when he sleeps, his breaths are rapid and shallow --- no panting/wheezing/coughing when he sleeps either. His nose also moves rapidly. I'm worried because I have another kitten and he does not breathe as rapidly when he sleeps but he also isn't as active as my other kitten.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kitten is eating and playing, I wouldn’t worry about their breathing. I know that if I watch my cat it always seems their breathing is fast but it’s just normal cat breathing.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my girls was like this as a kitten (and, having dealt with a cat with compromised lungs, it really worried me). She was and is absolutely fine. I came to the conclusion that she just dreams a lot! Your boy is probably the same. He sounds absolutely healthy to me, and he wouldn't be able to be so rambunctious when awake if something was really wrong. By all means, ask your vet when you see them, but it doesn't sound like it warrants an urgent appointment.