question on cat poop

kitkat81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys

I have a question that I hope somebody might be able to answer.

My cat in the last few weeks has had soft stool off and on again, not diarrhea just soft. Anyways I have noticed that it seems to happen when my wife feeds her and not me. She always gives the cat way too much food and sure enough the cat will eat it all. And I only give her a little bit which she will spread out over the course of the day.

Anyways would her eating too much a day cause her to have soft poop? She is fine other wise running around, eating and drinking normally it just that her stool has been softer off and on. Maybe its the food? it is a dry food.

Thanks

Jeremy

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting. I don't know. I wouldn't think an amount of food would affect the consistency of poop.... but if she's sensitive to an ingredient in it, I suppose it's possible that the larger amount could cause soft stools, while smaller amounts spread out wouldn't. :dk:

Feeding only dry food in general tends to (over time) cause a kitty to ... not necessarily be dehydrated, but be "drier" in the colon and have concentrated urine. You might want to consider adding some wet food to her diet just for her general health longer term.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs can get soft poop if they eat too much. . .I guess if they eat more than they need their body can't absorb it all so out it comes. I can't think of any reason cats would be different.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs can get soft poop if they eat too much. . .I guess if they eat more than they need their body can't absorb it all so out it comes. I can't think of any reason cats would be different.
Bingo!  Their digestive tracts are relatively short, so if you shovel too much in one end, it has to hurry up on the other end to literally make room.  

Its OK to binge eat until completely stuffed, but there has to be a long time between meals when doing that (heck even for people).   

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes kitties can get mushy poop :lol3: from overeating :nod:. If some days you are feeding her the correct amount and then on the other day's, your wife over-feeds her then her digestive system can't handle the abrupt changes - the poop will be soft. Easy solution :D - both you and your wife should figure out exactly the correct amount to feed your furbaby and stick to that. See if the poop regulates and return to a normal consistency. OH BOY :flail: Lot's of poop talk lately here on TCS :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, dogs are much more prone to get the "runs" from over-eating or an abrupt change in diet. Cat's can too - I have found that dog's seem to get diarrhea from food changes quicker than cat's. :)