Question of the Day, Wednesday September 7, 2016

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um...see....that's  why I need help.  I didn't know I COULD  hook the TV to the computer...I'll have to look for the port.  I'm sure it's on the back somewhere.
It's easy. And you can do it so that the computer screen is dark & the movie is only seen on the TV screen. I find it distracting if both screens are going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Found the port on the laptop.  So easy...must move tv and look on the back now.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an HDMI cable that you will plug into the computer & the TV? 'Cos you are going to need one.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, i wouldn't buy a smart tv -- not worth the extra cost. and yes, the privacy issues would really bother me -- i'd change the settings. heck, i have serious privacy concerns about google -- aka, The Evil Empire, it's pretty much everywhere and in everything these days.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were recently looking at TVs for my aunt, and I think all of them are smart now. My mom said "she needs one that gets Netflix", and all the boxes had the Netflix logo (among others). They didn't cost any more than regular TVs. . .I think :tongue2:. If there are no regular TVs then I guess I can't price them, lol.

I don't have home internet yet (it isn't easy to find internet for rural addresses :/), just my phone, and I don't have enough data for watching shows/movies. But it would be nice to watch internet shows on my TV when I do find a reasonable internet provider.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, i won't be making any changes till I get moved, sometimes toward the end of this month, so I have time to get cables and such. 

Better than being concerned about privacy issues.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had also heard this.  I occasionally use speech recognition on my smart phone for Google searches (which Google keeps track of, anyway), but the place where it would be really useful (but doesn't work
) is in making phone calls.  I see no point in spending extra money for a "Smart" television, and am extremely doubtful about smart cars, and the internet of things in general.  Black hat and gray hat hackers have already demonstrated an ability to take over smart cars, which is extremely worrisome, for everyone on the road.

What I would love, if only it were available, would be a television with RealD 3d ability.

Regarding cameras, if you ever use your laptop or smart phone while naked (I do, occasionally) you should put a bit of frosted or opaque tape over the front camera lens.  Hackers have been known to capture an image from these cameras, even if you think you're off-line.  These are high tech peeping toms, and it's wise to take precautions.  And do not say, "Oh, well, it's not as if I'm that attractive."  This isn't about that, any more than rape is.

And if you want to do internet searches without being tracked by Google, use https://duckduckgo.com.  (I have it set as my home page on Firefox.)  You can also set DuckDuckGo as your go-to search engine.  They never track, and keep no records on their users.  Plus which, their searches yield fewer false positives than Google, so there's less s*** to wade through.

Margret