Question Of The Day, Wednesday, September 4, 2019

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
People using the word "literally" incorrectly.

No, you did not literally die.
No, you're not literally freezing when your office is a bit chilly.

How are, however, literally making me scream (internally)...:runaround::gaah:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
TV advertisements. Without a mute switch, I could not watch TV. Before remote controls, I ran a wire to the speaker of my TV so I could turn the sound off. It seems they try to make me feel that my life is insufficient, a situation that can be remedied by buying their product. Am I that stupid? :argh:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when I'm walking and someone cuts in front of me and slows down, staring at their phone or just not paying attention to their surrounding. Someone is behind you!! I also hate when those same people decide they aren't going that way anymore and turn around and bump into you expecting you to apologize like you were the one that was in the wrong.
:stars::yeah: `:yelling:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little one, but people saying have a good rest of your day. Don't know when it started - but everyone is doing it now.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of little pet peeves, but these are some that seem as if they are not as common with other people.
1) When people eat fruit on tv or movies. I have cibophobia and it makes me sick.
2) When people misuse pronouns. This is especially bothersome when it is a tv or movie character that is supposed to be exceptionally intelligent and/or educated.
3) When people say "Aww" after taking a drink of something.
4) When I am trying to be cheap when buying something but the only things I find that I like cost more than I am willing to pay. (I get that is on me, but it still bothers me!)
5) When super skinny or tall women are used as models for petite, curvy, or plus size clothes. That 5' 11" size 0 woman cannot give me an idea what I would look like in it at 5' and size 14.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've become very anti-dieting industry propaganda, so I get really annoyed when people, especially people who are of normal weight, complain about needing to lose weight and insist on going on any of those fad diets.

Related to that, I get annoyed when people go on a fad diet like gluten-free or some other allergy-conscious diet either without being allergic to any of those foods or having never actually gotten tested for allergies. I have friends who go to naturalpaths and have eliminated a lot of foods from their diet based on their recommendations. I am a natural skeptic, so if something isn't backed by empirical evidence, I assume these "natural" remedies are complete BS and an elaborate scam.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
People who drop litter or think it's OK to toss empty bottles and snack wrappers out of their car windows. Seriously, who are these people!? Haven't they heard of pollution or global warming? Do they think woodland critters will snack on their discarded plastic?

I think we need stiffer penalties for people who litter. First offence, you lose a finger. Second offence, you lose a hand. After that it's off with their heads.

:devilish:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My kids (even though they are now all in their 30's) still consider me to be the grammar police. I always reviewed the papers that they wrote in school and identified grammatical errors.
LOL, my kids were the same way! The funniest part is, now my younger son as become the grammar police! He flat goes OFF about grammar, on FB, of all places!

People using the word "literally" incorrectly.

No, you did not literally die.
No, you're not literally freezing when your office is a bit chilly.

How are, however, literally making me scream (internally)...:runaround::gaah:
I do, however, rather forlornly wish that it were possible to literally freeze one's arse off...

anything people do/don't do, that results in my time being wasted.
GOD YES! I used to have a little sign on my desk that read, "A failure of foresight or planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency situation on my part."

OH...BTW...you rear animals and children. You raise crops and window shades. Jes' sayin'.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a LOT of pet peeves, but my main one that has been really bothering me lately is people who are unnecessary rude to people in public. I've been on the receiving end of a lot of rudeness from complete strangers lately when there was no need for it, and I've noticed our society becoming more impolite as the years go on. A few years ago I never had many problems or run-ins with strangers, but now it seems to be rare for someone to be polite or nice in public.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I hate hearing someone channel surf. The constant, abrupt shifting just aggravates me so much. Like, just pick something or turn it off.
I was just visiting my brother and he does that. It drives me nuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never knew that! What's the difference?
What, between teenaged boys and most vegetables? Not much, other than the first's ability to move voluntarily. Honestly, I'm not sure, other than one is correct, the other is, strictly speaking, not. One of those weird word usage things.

So "born and raised" is incorrect?
It is, but..."born and raised" is so much in use that it has become "correct" by default. And it does sound less stilted than "born and reared." Although that's what my grandmother would have said. She actually spoke "the King's English," and was a real martinet about grammar, syntax, pronunciation, enunciation, and word usage. I spent a LOT of time with her as a young child.