Question Of The Day, Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey...rushed tonight...still getting set for Dorian, although it won't be as bad as feared. We'll still get a good blow, but rainfall expectancy has lowered, so I'm feeling fairly safe.

SO...What is something that grates on your last nerve, but doesn't seem to bother other people?

This is petty. I know it is petty. But it drives me nuts when I'm watching television and one of the characters says, for instance, "It belongs to Mike and I." NO! It belongs to Mike and me. It belongs to Mike, it belongs to me. I may have mentioned this before, in fact, I'm almost sure that I have, but IT HAPPENED AGAIN TONIGHT, and I was yelling at the television again. It doesn't bother me so much when I hear/read it in actual situations, but those are supposed to be professional writers, and they should know better!

Sorry I kinda mailed this one it...I've been moving books and such off of bottom shelves all afternoon, and I'm worn out, with still a good bit to do tomorrow. I'll see you guys on the flipside of Dorian! All of you with me in the zone, STAY SAFE! My prayers are with ALL of us!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When your in a queue and someone jumps infront of you like your not even there :livid: Maybe it's a british thing I don't know :thumbsup:
Not just a British thing, it bothers me too! :agree:

It really grates on my nerves when you're in a restaurant or anywhere they serve food/beverages and someone puts their fingers in their mouth to pick their teeth. It's disgusting! :eek:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
When you are trying to carry on a conversation with someone, and they keep fiddling with their cellphone.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

People who overload the washers at the shelter, so the towels and blankets have to be put through again. We do multiple loads of wash a day. They waste time and money, especially when the washers' service lives are reduced, and it's so unhygienic!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One pet peeve thatt has been with me all my life is people who smack their lips loudly when they eat, or horribly loud crunching like eating a carrot right next to me, or eating ice. I have to leave or I will say something. (if it is my kids I DO say something!) PS I also agree with the thread starter that wrong pronoun ALWAYS ahs me saying " Would you say me will go to the movies when you say Tom and me will go to the movies?" Take each word and fit it in there. Tom will go to the movies, I will go to the movies, so it is Tom and I. Same with "the gift was given to Tom, the gift was given to me." So the gift was given to Tom and me. Not Tom and I.

Last edited:

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SO...What is something that grates on your last nerve, but doesn't seem to bother other people?

This is petty. I know it is petty. But it drives me nuts when I'm watching television and one of the characters says, for instance, "It belongs to Mike and I." NO! It belongs to Mike and me. It belongs to Mike, it belongs to me. I may have mentioned this before, in fact, I'm almost sure that I have, but IT HAPPENED AGAIN TONIGHT, and I was yelling at the television again. It doesn't bother me so much when I hear/read it in actual situations, but those are supposed to be professional writers, and they should know better!
I totally agree with you Mamanyt1953. It seems that no one on TV (series, sports, and even the news) wants to use the word "me". In school, I was taught that one way to determine whether to say "Mike and me" or "Mike and I" is to say the sentence without "Mike and". Would you say it "belongs to I" or it "belongs to me?" In most cases people will agree that "me" is appropriate, but when they add "Mike and" they want to say "I" not "me." I try to explain the difference between object and subject. But, it goes over their head. I don't think the schools do a good job of teaching grammar anymore.

My kids (even though they are now all in their 30's) still consider me to be the grammar police. I always reviewed the papers that they wrote in school and identified grammatical errors.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When people nit pick other people but can't admit their own mistakes. Honestly if you always have something to rant about you need a new hobby.

Most of the time I let stuff roll. It's not worth it. But I kind of shut someone down the other day via Facebook. One of my mother's friends who has known me since I was a toddler. I called my Mom and told her that I might be closer to 40 than 30 but I might be in trouble. :lol: My mother kind of thanked me because the friend was getting over the top about stuff. I think she just likes attention. Which is sad really.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the I/me problem. I once had a person who was unfortunately one of my bosses argue with me about that for a long time. And whenever I said "They asked the receptionist and me to do that," she invariably rolled her eyes and made a face like I was an ignoramus.

But the one that sets me off is lay/lie. Having spent a lot of time in doctor's offices over the past few years, I've had a number of technicians ask me "to lay down." Folks, it's "lie down." Lay means to set or place something somewhere. Lie means to recline (and not tell the truth). The problem comes from the past tense of lie, which is lay. "I lay in bed all day yesterday." But "The butler laid the table." One trick to remember is that hens lay eggs, but people lie down.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lack of polite introductions. I am so tired of being in a middle of a conversation with someone, only to have a third (Stranger) person show up, interrupt/cut us off and immediately they spark a conversation among themselves - leaving me out in a third wheel situation and suddenly entirely invisible. And I'm just like either standing or sitting there.

I mean...whatever happened to just a simple "Hello! This is my friend so and so and this is so and so from so and so"

That's honestly all I want :dunno::doh::bawling2: not obliged to be sudden besties or anything. I don't mind if people want to catch up or get exciting about seeing each other, just don't ignore someone else for ten+ minutes and/or suddenly take off on them willy nilly.

And even if not just that, if we all know each other already, at least have the common courtesy to say "Oh pardon/sorry for interrupting". Even just the act of interrupting drives me crazy.

Not just barge in all of the sudden.

But it is so.darn.common. So tired of it! Feel alone with it too. And I try so hard to be mindful of other people.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Biggest pet peeve of all? That would have to be drivers who tailgate... this bad driving behavior is not only annoying and disrespectful, it's downright dangerous! And especially annoying when there's a wide open lane next to you and the inconsiderate jerk wants to camp out six inches off your rear bumper... pffffft. Makes me long for a Bond car with machine guns facing aft... solve that problem pronto, LOL. I think of each tailgating episode as a Zen Buddhist exercise, a test of patience which I don't always pass with flying colors. :angrycat:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biggest pet peeve of all? That would have to be drivers who tailgate... this bad driving behavior is not only annoying and disrespectful, it's downright dangerous! And especially annoying when there's a wide open lane next to you and the inconsiderate jerk wants to camp out six inches off your rear bumper... pffffft. Makes me long for a Bond car with machine guns facing aft... solve that problem pronto, LOL. I think of each tailgating episode as a Zen Buddhist exercise, a test of patience which I don't always pass with flying colors. :angrycat:
Tailgating? I drove down to Atlanta once, back when the Interstate ended just below Bristol, Tenn. I was driving my '68 Mustang, and making decent time, when all of a sudden, there was a semi behind me. I could not see his windshield. I could not see his bumper or headlights, he was that close. How he got there, I don't know, but I constantly check my rear view mirror. Mind you, this wasn't nice, flat roads, but twisty, hilly driving, and there was no place to get out of his way. It was several miles before I found a place to pull off, and he went by in a cloud of dust. It was a while before I took off again.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when I'm walking and someone cuts in front of me and slows down, staring at their phone or just not paying attention to their surrounding. Someone is behind you!! I also hate when those same people decide they aren't going that way anymore and turn around and bump into you expecting you to apologize like you were the one that was in the wrong.