Question of the Day, Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maine Coon, Ragdoll, or Bengal.

But the reality is, what I really want is a cat to fall in love with, breed is pretty much meaningless to me.

When I was a kid, we had a long haired dachshund mix.  A really wonderful dog.  When we wanted to get a second dog we went to the shelter and asked them to be on the lookout for a long haired dachshund for us, and, sure enough, they found one.  She was a purebred show dog who had been seriously traumatized by being only a show dog, not a pet.  The name she came with was Gimlet.  We changed it to Ginger, which fit her better.  But if you ever called her Gimlet, she cringed.  She was very loving, bonded especially with my dad, but she was also neurotic.  I don't regret adopting her, but she was not the best pet, because it's not about breed, it's about who a person (skin person or fur person) is, and Ginger had been so traumatized that she was unable to be the happy dog she was meant to be.

While I certainly object to puppy mills and kitten mills, I also object to inbreeding, with all the genetic problems that go along with it, and the obsession with pure breeds leads to exactly that.  And most people who spend a great deal of money for a pure bred cat (please note that I said "most," not "all") seem to want them for show rather than to love.  And no one here is the target of that remark.

I want all domestic animals to have loving homes.  I want them to be family members, not possessions.

Margret

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to want a Maine Coon, but now I think it would be Burmese. The ones I've seen on this site are so gorgeous. Don't know if they have the Siamese voice, but that might put me off. But, like Winchester, the two I have, both rescues, will be my last kitties. I hope I outlive them because they are both youngsters.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As though one couldn't find one's desirable breed among 11,000 animals!
11,000 animals, a very small percentage of which are purebred, and of those, very few are kittens, and very few are actually pedigreed, and very few have correct confirmation. And, realistically, if that kitten exists in a rescue situation, it undoubtedly has people lined up who want to adopt it and will most certainly not be euthanized. 

If you're someone who isn't particular about what cat you want, then that's great. I myself am not particular about cats and have been very happy with my rescue cats. But if someone wants a purebred show cat and they want to raise it from a kitten, then all power to them. 

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

But the reality is, what I really want is a cat to fall in love with, breed is pretty much meaningless to me.
That's how I feel, too. My main trepidation in buying a purebred cat would be not being able to get to know the cat before I adopt it. In fact, personality is so important to me that I prefer to live with a cat for a time before committing. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a purebred - all mine found me in one way or another, but in my fantasies I would love to experience what it would be like to care for a Bengal, and get to work with that exuberant personality. I think its energy would be too much for me though, at my age!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard that old saw a million times. As though one couldn't find one's desirable breed among 11,000 animals!
Although I would challenge you to find a...oh, say...Lykoi.  Or a few others.  There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with responsible breeding of pedigreed animals.  Bear in mind that responsible breeders don't breed until they have a certain number of reservations for their kittens. Most have more reservations than possible litter sizes, and maintain a waiting list.  There are no litters born who do not have families waiting for them.  If someone wants a particular breed, and can't find it through a rescue, then they have every right to purchase, and without being made to feel bad about it. 

I will continue to adopt for so long as I live, but I will also honor anyone who wants to give ANY cat a loving home...but this is not what this thread it about.  It's about what breeds appeal to you, and why.  Just wanted to diffuse any hurt feelings a bit, since I can see both sides of things.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Although I would challenge you to find a...oh, say...Lykoi.  Or a few others.  There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with responsible breeding of pedigreed animals.  Bear in mind that responsible breeders don't breed until they have a certain number of reservations for their kittens. Most have more reservations than possible litter sizes, and maintain a waiting list.  There are no litters born who do not have families waiting for them.  If someone wants a particular breed, and can't find it through a rescue, then they have every right to purchase, and without being made to feel bad about it. 

I will continue to adopt for so long as I live, but I will also honor anyone who wants to give ANY cat a loving home...but this is not what this thread it about.  It's about what breeds appeal to you, and why.  Just wanted to diffuse any hurt feelings a bit, since I can see both sides of things.
I agree with you 100%. All cats deserve homes- including pedigreed ones. While I am a die hard shelter/rescue cat girl, the point of this question was not whether or not we think getting a cat from a breeder is ethical/correct, etc. It is (for the vast majority of us) a hypothetical question- simply for fun- kind of like if someone asked me if I would date Brad Pitt if he asked now that he's single. Well, there's a better chance that I'll hit the lottery twice in one day than be wooed by Brad but see what I mean? Let's just have fun!

Yes, Brad- I'm all yours. Come on by anytime! 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I agree with you 100%. All cats deserve homes- including pedigreed ones. While I am a die hard shelter/rescue cat girl, the point of this question was not whether or not we think getting a cat from a breeder is ethical/correct, etc. It is (for the vast majority of us) a hypothetical question- simply for fun- kind of like if someone asked me if I would date Brad Pitt if he asked now that he's single. Well, there's a better chance that I'll hit the lottery twice in one day than be wooed by Brad but see what I mean? Let's just have fun!

Yes, Brad- I'm all yours. Come on by anytime! 

Now THERE is a "pedigreed animal" I can really get behind!  I'm with you! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, with cats I see very little point in purebreds, except maybe the older breeds. As I said, breed personality traits aren't well-established in most breeds, so generally a cat is a cat is a cat. I think the main benefit of buying from a cat breeder is to get a well socialized kitten from a friendly healthy queen. . .but you can get that from some oops litters or a decent foster-based rescue too. But anyway! I don't object to responsible purebred cat breeders because purebreds are maybe 2%-3% of the population, not significant at all. The main contributor to overpopulation is irresponsibly kept pets, including those who are dumped so their kittens grow up feral. I don't think oops litters in cats will ever be eliminated---cats breed early and often and even a reasonably responsible owner may end up with an oops. So I don't think purebred/deliberate breeding is necessary (there will always be enough cats) but also not harmful (unless it's a really bad breeder).

In dogs, purebred/deliberate breeding is necessary (or there would not be enough dogs), and no responsible owner should ever have an oops litter---dogs have well defined heat periods and it's not that hard to keep them away from the opposite sex; dogs should be on leash or in a yard at all times anyway. The main problem with dogs is overbreeding and irresponsible breeding, especially of certain breeds. There's no all-breed overpopulation of dogs, but regionally there may be local overpopulations of pit bulls, hounds, Labs, etc. And there are major breed differences with dogs---if someone wants a Maltese they aren't going to be happy with a coonhound! So that's kind of a whole different issue than the cat overpopulation.

Back to the topic! I thought of another purebred I like: Pixie Bobs.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that old saw a million times. As though one couldn't find one's desirable breed among 11,000 animals!
I agree with you, Primula. Although there are some responsible breeders but there are so many that are not. Especially dogs. Pedigreed cats are beautiful and I can see why people prefer them but I've had ferals all my life and will continue to give them a home. Pedigreed cats will always find a home and feral cats don't.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All my cats are mixed breeds I would like to get to know an f1 Savannah I've been curious about them. I like mainecoons also I think I might have a mix of mainecoon in my cat Rose . I'm fostering a kitten currently Ozzy she looks very coony also. The Mohave jag cats website is very informative if I had the money I might get one but I'm talking Winn the lottery type of money!

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bearing in mind I've only ever owned rescue cats...

1) Because that's the cat they want. If people are going to make a 15 year commitment, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting the particular cat they want. 

2) Because people have an interest in preserving particular cat breeds, for cultural significance, so that unique traits aren't lost, and because they love that breed

3) Because the stigma against buying a cat or dog instead of rescuing one is getting in the way of promoting responsible breeding. I don't want to live in a world where kittens are only being born to people who don't care about their animals. 

4) Because it offers competition for the irresponsible people who let their cats breed just for the hell of it without taking due care. In my area, you can sell random-bred kittens for about $50/each, and you better believe there are people out there who are now letting their cat have a few litters because it's making money for them. Rather than convince people that it's wrong to buy cats, I want to convince people that it's wrong to encourage irresponsible breeding by giving money to the wrong people. People get cats because they want them and if the only way to get the cat they want is to give money to an irresponsible person, then you bet your bottom dollar, irresponsible people will rise to meet that demand. I know this varies from region to region, but I recently set out to adopt a new kitten (I wanted a particular colour, pattern, personality, and sex) and I had a genuinely difficult time finding kittens available that weren't accidental/careless breedings where people were charging money, and I absolutely refuse to reward their irresponsibility by paying them. I ended up finding a farm out of town where there was an orphaned litter. If I hadn't been able to find a cat meeting my criteria through a rescue situation, I would have had to buy one, at which point, I would have gone to a responsible breeder of pedigreed cats. 

I agree with everything you've said. I hate people that say you should never buy a purebred. Crazy. I will ALWAYS own at least one Ragdoll. It is the breed that introduced me to cats. They're huge with alluring blue eyes, a pointed coat, and they go limp in your arms, low fighting instinct, etc. They're just simply amazing. You can't find those qualities in mutts. Don't get me wrong, I love my two mutts, but if I want a Ragdoll (or any other breed) for that matter then there is nothing wrong with buying it from a reputable breeder. The sad part is, is even without breeders mutts will still die in shelters. There is simply too many of them. Sad. Purebred cats make up 2% of the world population of cats. Dogs are different...personally I prefer purebred dogs vs mutts, but I've lived with both. Cats, I'll usually pick a mutt, but I am very partially to the Ragdolls. :)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a purebred Siberian.  I had allergies and Siberians have a reputation for being hypoallergenic.  The cat did not trigger my allergies.  Siberians are an old breed, mentioned in literature over 1000 years ago, and from what I have read and seen they are pretty true to form as far as personality.  I've had some great cats, but I never had a relationship as intense and enjoyable as I had with Boris, the Siberian.  He had such a big sweet personality!   He was usually nearby if not in my lap.  Unfortunately, I lost him to HCM in April.  

My other two cats are a rescued cat and an ex-feral that was born in a barn near my house.  I love them dearly, but when the breeder offered me another Siberian kitten at no cost...I accepted.  He is from entirely different blood lines than my first Siberian.  I've had him for two months.  I could talk for a long time about how wonderful this kitten is and how much I love him, but I'll just put in a vote for Siberians.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, Primula. Although there are some responsible breeders but there are so many that are not. Especially dogs. Pedigreed cats are beautiful and I can see why people prefer them but I've had ferals all my life and will continue to give them a home. Pedigreed cats will always find a home and feral cats don't.
'Nuff said.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't imagine why anyone's feelings would be hurt. We were simply discussing a valid topic.
Call it my paranoia, and experience at another site where feelings were, all too often, a bit raw.  I'd rather pour oil than wait and wish I had.  And so many of the problems arose because you can't hear a tone of voice, or see an expression, and what was meant one way was taken another.  I love TCS too much to even consider risking the goodwill in this community.  Carry on, soldiers!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
very few are kittens, and very few are actually pedigreed, and very few have correct confirmation. And, realistically, if that kitten exists in a rescue situation, it undoubtedly has people lined up who want to adopt it and will most certainly not be euthanized. 
In an ideal world maybe (Canada?) but, unfortunately, not where I live.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Call it my paranoia, and experience at another site where feelings were, all too often, a bit raw.  I'd rather pour oil than wait and wish I had.  And so many of the problems arose because you can't hear a tone of voice, or see an expression, and what was meant one way was taken another.  I love TCS too much to even consider risking the goodwill in this community.  Carry on, soldiers!
Sorry. Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything. I just wanted to put in my $0.02 on shaming people who buy cats. I think if you're a cat person who just loves cats and aren't drawn to a certain breed, it can be hard to imagine why someone would buy a kitten, and I don't think those people will ever understand, so I'll drop the topic and take off my debater hat. 

Back on topic: Another breed I like are American Curls. 

Last edited: