Question of the Day, Wednesday, September 27, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :lovecat2: I always keep a few tote bags as well as plastic bags in my car. When I go grocery shopping I bring the tote bags in with me if I remember them. If not, the person bagging will ask if I want plastic or paper.

DO YOU BRING YOUR OWN BAG(S) TO THE GROCERY STORE? IF NOT, DO YOU PREFER PLASTIC OR PAPER BAGS?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't carry a bag to the grocery store, because I reuse theirs. I like plastic. Paper would be fine, but I don't think it's an option here anymore.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If I'm going to TJ's, Sam's, Aldi, or Costco, I don't get bags at all, so I take my TJ's bags with me. As the clerk rings the items, I put them in my bags and take it all out to the car that way. Chilled/frozen foods go into the ice chest in the car for the trip home.

I like to get plastic bags from Giant, simply because of using the bags for cat litter afterward. It is what it is. I don't know how to scoop without a plastic bag. I also use bread/roll bags with no holes as well as noodle and pasta bags. I even use the bags that come in cereal boxes for scooping! Anything I can get my hands on.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the stores plastic bags. I reuse them as trash can liners, with exception to the kitchen and Litterbox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I like to get plastic bags from Giant, simply because of using the bags for cat litter afterward. Anything I can get my hands on.
When we use self-checkout and bag our own groceries I always take a few extra plastic bags for this reason. :wink:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have to bring our own bags since the government has put a ban on several types of single use plastics, however, I've used my own bags for years before the ban was put in place. For years stores were charging 5 cents a bag if you needed them...now you can't get them at all.
I haven't seen paper bags in a grocery store...since....ever. I'm sure they existed when I was a kid and didn't pay attention to stuff like that but I've only ever known plastic.
The only bags we still get at the grocery store are the thin ones you use for produce. Not sure if those will ever be banned or not...

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. Standard plastic is banned, and rightly so, as it's bad for the environment.
Paper is dodgy, as it can get wet.

So, I bring my own large bag out of fabric, without any feeling of guilt, and leave the destruction of the environment to the governments with their heavy bombs, who don't know what feeling of guilt is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For years stores were charging 5 cents a bag if you needed them.
One of the pet stores I go to charges 10 cents for a bag. Their bags are so flimsy that I bring my own tote otherwise the weight of the wet food cans would tear the plastic bag.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I go to Kroger I use their plastic bags at the self-checkout and then I use them when I scoop out the litter boxes.

I occasionally go to Giant Eagle for a few things and the one here did away with plastic. They have paper but they charge a nickel for each one. The self-checkout which is what I use is on an honor system, but I bought two reusable ones there and take those with me when I go to Giant Eagle.

I know the reusable ones are much better for the environment but then there is the litter box situation.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a ton of shopping bags; but, I always forget to take them into the store with me!
We have to use either our own bags or paper bags. I would prefer plastic disposable bags, as I use them for trash, and stuff. Right now, I am using 'doggie poop' bags for Geoffrey's vomit clean up. I used to use the plastic grocery bags.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take the groceries out in the cart to my SUV & put them in the 2 plastic totes that I have in there. I wash the totes once a month. If I just get one or two items, I carry them out in my arms.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely go into grocery stores. I rely very heavily on online shopping and pickup. Before the pandemic, I did use reusable bags, but now when I do actually go into stores, I always forget my bags because I'm rarely shopping in-store.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't bring in my own bags, and I prefer the plastic bags. They get subsequent use as either small can trashbags or for litter scooping (and lately, also for the regular 'puke and poop patrol' that I'm still having to do for Autumn who has regular bouts of diarrhea). When I was still in the office, they also would get used/reused until lacking in integrity for hauling my lunches/empty containers there and back.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my Aldis bags with me when I shop there...don't like having to mess with boxes,and I understand sooner or later WalMart will be doing away with their bags so I guess when that happens,I'll use my Aldis bags there too.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The grocery stores here don’t carry plastic bags at checkout any more, although they still have them for fresh produce. They do have paper bags for five cents each, but I’ve used my own fabric bags for years, long before they banned plastic. I also use my own mesh bags for fresh produce.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The grocery stores here don’t carry plastic bags at checkout any more, although they still have them for fresh produce. They do have paper bags for five cents each, but I’ve used my own fabric bags for years, long before they banned plastic. I also use my own mesh bags for fresh produce.
What do all of you who have given up the plastic shopping bags use for scooping litter boxes. It's just Giant Eagle here right now but I think it will spread to the other stores.