Question of the Day, Wednesday, September 20, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :happycat: Have you ever noticed that you don't remember half of the commercials that are on tv nowadays or you mute the tv when they come on? They don't leave a lasting impression or they think by having a celebrity star in them it will make you want to buy the product. Which brings me to the QOTD.

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE COMMERCIAL WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP?

I really liked the Charmin commercial where Mr. Whipple coined the saying, "Please don't squeeze the Charmin!"

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You remember the messy Carl’s Jr burgers “if it doesn’t get all over the place…..”

I like the in & out jingle

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really liked Clara Pellar in that commercial too but I think it was for Wendy's not McDonald's.
Yes, Wendy's. I had forgotten that one. I liked the ones for Nike that with hockey players that I saw on Canadian TV: (player's name) with his fancy Nike skates (said sarcastically).

Oh and that goalie one, with the Walrus in net. That one was way more recent.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Like" is not the right word for me, but bad grammar commercials seem to stay in the memory. For example, I still remember the very old:
"English cheeses pleases"
and
"Beanz meanz Heinz".

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was one for Dunkin Donuts where the man looking very tired was constantly saying, 'Time to Make the Donuts'. The baker was called Fred. I think it was from the 80's so I wasn't a kid then but I remember those.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't a kid, but my favorite commercials were always 'Joe Izuzu'. Loved those.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a younger child, I liked the cowboy that was hankering for a hunk of cheese.

As a teenager, the rich men who were all about the mustard. "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?" The one always says, "But of course!" Then, in the last of the commercials, he flat out lies and tells him no.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As a teenager, the rich men who were all about the mustard. "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"
When our youngest was a child and we'd get to a stop light she'd roll down the window and ask the car next to us, "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?" :lol:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love the yogurt adverts (particularly Danone, for some reason, and Petite Filous) because of the expressions the actors made when they were eating the yogurt - so much so my friends and I used to take turns impersonating them!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the ones mentioned above-- Where's The Beef? Mikey & the Life cereal.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ANY commercial, new or old, for Christmas was so great growing up in the 80s. Ronald McDonald kept a kid from running away, the bee on the Cheerio's box made Ebeneezer Scrooge nice again, and Fred and Barney from the Flintstones learned how to share Fruity Pebbles on Christmas. Those commercials were so cute.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite commerical was in 1989 and I was not a kid. It was made by Polaner and the goofy man says "would you please pass the jelly".

I don't remember many commericals from when I was a kid.

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about any from my childhood, but I do enjoy the recent ones where the guy is teaching 30-somethings how to not be like their parents.