Question Of The Day, Wednesday, Sept 21, 2017 The Brain Dead Edition

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I did it AGAIN. SIGH! I'm still waiting for my new phone. This actually makes sense, because my phones have a calendar, and I set alarms to go off and remind me to post the Question of the Day, and as I have mild ADD, without that, I forget when I am. BUT...the new phone will be here within the next two weeks, I PROMISE!

So, here's yesterday's question:

What is your favorite silly, wise, or odd saying?

Mine comes from my dad, who, when speaking of me, would say, "Well, she's a good girl, but she does have an odd kick to her gallop."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I've heard BOTH of those, time and again, and in the second case, margd margd , I did. Which prompted my mother to say, "Grandchildren are a parent's greatest revenge."

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite saying is, "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

I used to be a perfectionist, and drove myself crazy -- as well as everyone around me! :lol:

Now whenever I get stressed out while I'm trying to get something done, I mentally take a step back and ask myself if it absolutely, positively HAS to be perfect. And nine-and-a-half times out of ten, 'good enuff' will usually do, and everyone is much happier. :wink:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
love the: "what goes around, comes around'"....

Also, I used to say a lot: "WHAT evveerrr".... meaning who cares.. I have not control over it..

But I the one I use the most is: "There is a reason for everything. You just have to wait to find out the reason.. it may take a while, but you will see"....

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure this is my favorite saying but my mother said it to me and I was shocked to hear the words coming out of my mouth when I had kids:

"I hope you grow up to have a kid just like you." (This was not a compliment.)
You got that too? I was wished TWO of me. Also not a compliment. :lol: :paranoid:

A favorite of mine is also a quote from Ricky from Trailer Park Boys

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
love the: "what goes around, comes around'"....

Also, I used to say a lot: "WHAT evveerrr".... meaning who cares.. I have not control over it..

But I the one I use the most is: "There is a reason for everything. You just have to wait to find out the reason.. it may take a while, but you will see"....
:yeah: yes!!! and it's so true!

'what goes around, comes around' is one of my favorites too, in the form of 'karma can come back to bite you in the butt'.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My godmother used to have two that I always liked.

"Find a spot and cover it." (Sit down and be quiet)

"Let's don't and say we did." (When something was a bad idea)

And from my mom

"I had one but the wheels fell off." (A word she didn't understand)

"You do and you'll clean it up!" (Again, a word or expression she didn't understand)

Mine

"You can't push a string." (You can't overcome passive resistance)

"I did it and I'm glad!" (Something I really shouldn't have said or done, said humorously)

"You did it and Santa will get you for it!" (When someone apologizes for something they really had no control over)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH! Forgot this one...I think I read it somewhere:
"Lord God help the parents whose child thinks the sinnin' is worth the lickin' after."

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Love the title of this thread!

One of my favourites is "It's all swings and roundabouts." Which means it all evens out in the end. I think it comes from a poem with the line, "Losses on the roundabouts means profits on the swings."

My dad used to sigh and say "Half the lies she tells aren't true." every time I came home with some tale of my adventures.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH! Forgot this one...I think I read it somewhere:
"Lord God help the parents whose child thinks the sinnin' is worth the lickin' after."
Love that. It's not one of your dad's??

I wonder if the problem with the alarms is the doing of a certain Tortie Queen... If you are busy posting, you are NOT focused on her. That may be a sin in her eyes and she may feel as though she must stop that from happening. :think: :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if the problem with the alarms is the doing of a certain Tortie Queen... If you are busy posting, you are NOT focused on her. That may be a sin in her eyes and she may feel as though she must stop that from happening. :think: :lol:
No, she's innocent on this one. The phone had a total mental breakdown and starting dialing 9999999999999 over and over until the screen was full, and when I would clear it, it would start over again. Of course, for all I know, it started with Hekitty's habit of sitting on the phone at ever opportunity.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite sayings are: ''What evveerr'' and ''whatever comes around goes around.'' When I say ''what evveerr'' it seems to really piss off people. I use it around my b/l every chance I get.

My mother use to say "I was enough to make a preacher cuss" and she hoped every kid I had was just like me.

Muffy