Question of the Day, Wednesday, October 25, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :coolcat: I have a bad habit of falling asleep on the couch with Carleton while watching tv then wake up and go to bed. I know I should just go to bed when I feel sleepy but when he curls up with me I can't resist holding him and hearing him purr.:purr: I usually wake up an hour or so before I need to in the morning and, of course, lay in bed because I can't fall back to sleep or I wake up because I have to use the bathroom. How about you?

DO YOU SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT OR WAKE UP? DO YOU HAVE TROUBLE GOING BACK TO SLEEP?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wake up usually once to hit the bathroom, i try to put it off but find I can't sleep at all if I do. If I have soemthing on my mind I might have trouble going back to sleep, but keep Midnite, an herbal supplement around to help and it really works!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wake up multiple times. Mostly for my children, but also for the bathroom.

I thankfully usually fall back asleep pretty quickly.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have nocturia, so wake usually at least twice. Sometimes I wake hearing major excavations in the litter! Mostly I don't have trouble getting back to sleep as long as it's still dark. Once it's near dawn, forget it. :hmmm:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate getting up in the night to use the bathroom, so I moved my last water to dinner. I don't drink anything after dinner now. I usually wake up at least once during the night and check the clock. I usually wake up shortly before my alarm is set to go off. I lay in bed until it's time to get up. Sometimes I dose back off.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, the best thing you can do when sitting in front of the TV is fall asleep with a cat purring on your lap. Actually watch the show is the worst thing you can do, but fortunately in my case too, that brings on sleep very fast.

But just lately, I seem to feel sleepy in front of the computer too, and lose the drowsiness as soon as I hid the bed. The experts talk about "resetting the body clock". Easier said than done, and I'd like to know what suddenly brought about the need for resetting.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually sleep through the night, which I'm extremely thankful for! I make an effort to not drink a lot of water closer to bedtime, and go the bathroom right before bedtime, so that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night for bathroom runs.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Up at least once or twice for the bathroom. Occasionally afterwards I will stay awake for a couple hours which is so frustrating.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to sleep through the night. However, since my mom got out of the hospital and I'm her caretaker I have to get up when she calls for me. She's too weak and unable to care for herself. She calls for me every hour and half to two hours so she can use the toilet.
I miss sleep.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to sleep through the night. However, since my mom got out of the hospital and I'm her caretaker I'm have to get up when she calls for me. She's too weak and unable to care for herself. She calls for me every hour and half to two hours so she can use the toilet.
I miss sleep.
wow, I am sure you do!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been falling asleep on the couch with Mooch since she was little. They've never been allowed to sleep with us because DH thought he was allergic (his last testing said no). Plus I like to read and things and DH can't stand any light. So I fall asleep there and then go to bed a few hours later. Occasionally it's 5 hours later. :lol: But it works so I can make a pit-stop in the bathroom before getting back in bed. Sometimes I need another but sometimes I don't need any.

I just changed meds to see if I am less sleepy on this one and do better with it at bedtime. For the last 2 days I'm actually getting up earlier and not groggy! I'm just nervous to celebrate it yet. ;)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The best sleep I get is being stretched out on the recliner, TV on, covered with a light throw/blanket, with a cuddling Geoffrey on my lap. I have been enjoying it so much; that, for the past week, I have been waking up at 1AM to go to bed!!

Also, wake up during the night; either bathroom or Geoffrey will wake me up to tell me he pooped or threw up.. Once I hear him vomiting, I just cannot go back to sleep.. and he has his own internal alarm, just for when he WANTS me up!! What a Cat!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to sleep through the night. However, since my mom got out of the hospital and I'm her caretaker I have to get up when she calls for me. She's too weak and unable to care for herself. She calls for me every hour and half to two hours so she can use the toilet.
I miss sleep.
My sister just went through this with our father. She couldn't leave the room for 15 minutes he called her. I was no help, living out of state. PLease take care of yourself and don't let your own health suffer. Our father passed on Oct 14 and my sister ended up in the emergency room with stroke like symptoms.Fortunately they ruled out stroke, but found her A1c was 15. She now has a lot of work to try to get back to "normal." (Fortunately, she is starting to feel better). :vibes:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a hard time falling asleep at night but do not wake up during the night until I am woken up by my alarm or by Miss Sophie who has been a furry alarm clock for a long time. This morning she woke me by yelling at me and pulling my hair. Lilith has never woken me up. She assigned that job to her sister and she's really good at it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
VERY rarely I fall asleep easily and stay asleep until morning. Usually I have problems falling asleep, staying asleep, and wake up around 4, begin dozing off again at 5:44 and my alarm goes of at 5:45. 😭

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It depends on what kind of day I have had sometimes. But mostly I am a night owl I can’t go to sleep til I see daylight. That came from one time when I stayed with my grandmother & sister(who lived with my grandmother) while we were asleep someone broke into my grandmother’s apartment. So I get nervous to sleep while it’s dark. The only way I can sleep when it’s dark out is if I am really sick. Even then I make sure doors & windows are locked and I leave the living room lamp on. If I had a long day I can usually sleep through the night cause I always use the bathroom before going to bed. If my anxiety & ocd acts up where I am overthinking things I don’t sleep. If I have an appointment I get up constantly. So really it depends sometimes.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take lasix,and it seems like it doesn't matter how early I do,I'm back and forth almost every day and through the night several times.There are nights when I do fall back to sleep rather quickly but most of the time not so much.I've asked the doctor about making my dosage smaller,and that's a no,so I just deal with it .