Question Of The Day, Wednesday, October 2, 2019

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not at first. I'd probably leave it in a safe spot for a year or so and then when a big health scare hits I'd look. I don't want to live planning for death or having death on my mind each and every day. I'm the kind of person that could have that info sitting on the desk and not read it until I need to.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sure I'd look... curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back!!! Besides, I could party like a rock star the night before, maybe slam an eightball of heroin and beat the Grim Reaper to the punch, LOL. Just kidding, but then again, if you know you're gonna be dead ANYWAY, why NOT go out with a bang? At the very least, I'd drink myself to death the night before, solely out of spite against the Reaper, LOL. Act like a drill sergeant when I finally met him:

"YOU'RE LATE!!! DROP AND GIVE ME FIFTY PUSH-UPS!!! KNOCK 'EM OUT!!!" :flail:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably wouldn't at first but would give into temptation later on. Not knowing the date would be a good thing in terms of ignorance is bliss - if I knew, I'd be constantly worried about dying and would be anxious about it every day. However, knowing can also be good because if you know, you can work around avoiding death on the day you were supposed to die, especially if it would have been a premature death.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look. I would like to know so that I can plan: What to do with my current kitty, to prepare him for the change, to budget things so that I can enjoy myself, as much as I can.

I would visit people, donate time and money to whatever passions I have, without worrying if I will be able to survive, financially; just take time to relax and enjoy the amount of time I have left. Give things away to whom I want will appreciate them.

I think it would be a gift, not a burden to know. I would let people know how important they are to me, and grateful for knowing them. I would definitely know everyone in my life is deeply appreciated.

I could prepare myself for the end of this life; hopefully, leaving it with a smile and sense of peace and happiness--knowing I did my best, and brought joy to many.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have really bad anxiety when it comes to the topic of death. It's always been something that I've found challenging to accept. I've also experienced really bad existential crisis - just this year in fact.

I would probably open it. But I can't say with 100% certainty. I always thought that I'd know when the time was close because of my "abilities". I'm able to sense these things with other people so I've figured that I would sense it in myself when the time comes.

On one hand, I hate surprises but on the other hand, there is something kinda nice about being surprised? It also depends greatly on the way one is to exit this life/universe/dimension/etc. Obviously wouldn't want anything painful or traumatic... wouldn't want to become a bitter ghost.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably look. I'm just too darn stubborn to let "fate" decide my future. Depending on what the date was, I would probably fight tooth and nail to ensure a more "favorable outcome" if it seemed like an early death or at least do my best to go out with a bang. If the date said I'd be gone when I'm 92 or whatever, then I would be able to really enjoy so many things that I may not have tried out of fear. I'm not a thrill seeker or adrenaline junkie by any means but it would definitely make me less anxious driving in the winter.:thumbsup: My mom has mentioned before that she would love to go sky diving some day, I would be more agreeable to join her if I knew I wouldn't splat on the ground.
FYI, as it stands, I will never go sky diving!:shocked:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode, where the guy was told he was going to die a certain day beneath the Empire State Building. So he went to great lengths to make sure he was nowhere near the Empire State Building on that date and time....and died anyway. The punch line was that he was beneath a small replication of the Empire State Building.

I guess the point is, you can't fight fate.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode, where the guy was told he was going to die a certain day beneath the Empire State Building. So he went to great lengths to make sure he was nowhere near the Empire State Building on that date and time....and died anyway. The punch line was that he was beneath a small replication of the Empire State Building.

Than you. I was going to say this.

Even if you locked yourself in your house when the day came, you'd probably fall down the stairs or choke to death on an apple.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not. I agree with the idea that we're not supposed to know these things and I'm afraid I'd spend every last moment I had dreading "the day", which defeats the purpose of life. Since many of our affairs (not all, but many) have already been planned for, the need for planning and temptation to know how much more time we had to wrap things up is a little less attractive.
Then again, if I did look and saw it was going to happen on a day I planned to go skydiving or rock climbing, I could cancel the trip and laugh at the message. (Then an anvil or a piano would fall on my head, I bet.)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I remember that episode. That was a good show.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If someone handed you a sealed envelope with the date of your death inside, would you open it? Why or why not?
No way, I would rather live my life the way I choose and not worry about how much time I have left.

I remember that episode. That was a good show.
That was an awesome show, Rod Serling was a genius. :thumbsup:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The entire concept of knowing when you'll die has some heavy implications, doesn't it? I mean, if your death could be known, that would mean that you have no free will, that your entire life is scripted. That nothing you do would matter---hey, go ahead and text and drive; you'll die at the designated time and not before! So that's just a whole 'nother can of worms.

But, short answer, yes, I'd look. I'm too curious/impatient not to look.
This was my feeling. The whole 'free will or pre-determination' thing. If you knew it could change the way you behave as you feel you can't die before that point. So you do absurd things that could well kill you.. in fact things that WILL kill you. Do you die?
I remember when I studied philosophy, we were asked, what if there was a huge book that told your life story, and you were able to see that book, and see, for example, when and how you would die, and you decided to change that scenario so it couldn't happen. But of course, it would be recorded in the book.. "Mani found the book and made a decision and then...."

But to answer your question, I probably would. :lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, of course.

And if the date were within the next 15 years or so I'd start frantically looking for someone willing to look after a bunch of semi feral cats after I'm gone.

:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some VERY thoughtful replies here, both in the affirmative and the negative! I guess my own answer stems from the fact that I consider death to be a very natural part of life, and no more than the opening of a door...moving from this Adventure to the Next Great Adventure. Y'all didn't see me typing that out in the "Crossing the Bridge" threads over and over just to make someone feel better. I believe it to the core of my being. I find nothing fearful in death, it's just...what comes next, and there is another "next" after that. It isn't a matter of what I "believe," any more than "believing" that the sun will rise tomorrow. Death, for me, is not traumatic (although there are many traumatic ways to die). We are dying from the moment we draw our first breath. BIRTH is far more traumatic, when you think of it like that, that first instance of independent life...it never, ever comes again.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some VERY thoughtful replies here, both in the affirmative and the negative! I guess my own answer stems from the fact that I consider death to be a very natural part of life, and no more than the opening of a door...moving from this Adventure to the Next Great Adventure. Y'all didn't see me typing that out in the "Crossing the Bridge" threads over and over just to make someone feel better. I believe it to the core of my being. I find nothing fearful in death, it's just...what comes next, and there is another "next" after that. It isn't a matter of what I "believe," any more than "believing" that the sun will rise tomorrow. Death, for me, is not traumatic (although there are many traumatic ways to die). We are dying from the moment we draw our first breath. BIRTH is far more traumatic, when you think of it like that, that first instance of independent life...it never, ever comes again.
I have no fear of death either. I have seen my late DH twice since his passing. I know he's waiting for me. He came back the first time to make sure that I knew that. The second time was to make extra sure.

I see death as a beginning and not an ending. Kind of like graduation. After you've been here as long as you're supposed to be, you move on.