Question of the Day, Wednesday, October 18, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good afternoon and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :hellocat: I'm running out of shampoo and conditioner so I'll be heading to the store soon to buy these two products. My hair is somewhere between normal to dry and I wash it twice a week. There are plenty of products to choose from, in fact maybe too many.😉 FYI, here is a chart explaining the different hair types:
Types of Hair: How to Style and Care for Your Hair Type

HOW OFTEN DO YOU WASH YOUR HAIR AND WHAT IS YOUR HAIR TYPE?

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to wash it every other day; but I have oily skin to the point it burns my eyes. So the hair around my face looks dirty after about a day and a half most of the time. I've tried to go 3 days and had to when our septic system was down; but even after 3 months of that the oiliness did not improve and it was SO uncomfortable!! I'm one of those people who could probably get some pretty loose curls if I had the time and patience to learn to style it to bring them out. But I'm not; especially needing to wash it so often. So what you see is what you get. Which means it's up to your imagination on here; but I do look like something out of an 80s rock band some mornings. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to wash my hair about 3-4 times a week. It doesn't always happen these days.

I'm fairly sure my hair type is 1B. If I braid it while wet it'll hold the waves nowadays. I'm pretty sure it's changed from 1A because my hair would always fall out of curling iron curls as a child.

I think J's hair will be 2A or 2B. It's still pretty short and if she ever gets it cut the curls nearer the end could fall out and go completely straight, but I think it will be wavy as it gets longer and she gets older.

M doesn't have enough hair to tell. My little fuzzy head. :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm fairly sure my hair type is 1B. If I braid it while wet it'll hold the waves nowadays. I'm pretty sure it's changed from 1A because my hair would always fall out of curling iron curls as a child.
Thanks for the tip on the different hair types. :thanks: I looked mine up and it's 2B.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if it's age or childbirth but my hair definitely has more wave and curl than it used to. I read your patterns change every so many years but who knows if thats accurate. I have everything from 2A straight through to a few 3B spirals now. It's wild some days. :lol:

DS had the sweetest curls and I held off cutting his hair for so long because of that. They did not last. :sniffle: DD had some also but her hair still has some wave to it. Of course she has a lot more hair than DS does. Maybe he has some hidden wave in there; mostly he has my Grandpa's cowlick when he needs it cut. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if it's age or childbirth but my hair definitely has more wave and curl than it used to.
I noticed another thing that can change your hair type is hormones, especially if you've had a child or gone through that not so lovely stage of menopause. :hmmm: As for men, they can have changes too. DH had thick, curly hair when he was younger but it's straighter and there's less of it now.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I love hair charts and believe that I am a 2B. It is not a pretty wave or curl if left alone though and I have to work with it. I wash it every couple of days, partly because I am growing out the bangs and they require a lot of product right now. My styling tool of choice has been a flat iron for years. Hair definitely changes with age, medications, life events.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3B to 4A hair and only wash it once a week, sometimes twice depending on the products I've used. I do shower and fully wet/rinse my hair daily though.
Curly/coily hair is very dry so over washing is not good...you just end up with a giant frizz ball.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week. I currently have a pixie cut and when my hair was longer because I was growing it out to donate, I always had it up because I hate long hair. So for the type of hair that I have, I'm not sure if it's a 1 or 2a. There was some wave to it when it was longer, but it was also always up, so that could have just been the impression from the hair tie.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about hair types.I wash mine every other day.I do have oily skin,and I feel like my hair gets that way too.I also have issues with a b12 deficiency,and one of the symptoms for me is itching...my scalp.Drives me nuts!Washing it helps,and getting my shot on time doesn't hurt either:)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Type 2A, thick hair. Hard to get it to hold any curl these days, though maybe the hair turban I just bought will help. I wash it twice a week. These days I use Fudge Clean Blonde shampoo and conditioner, or if my scalp is too itchy or the colour has built up a bit too much, Head and Shoulders Itchy Scalp shampoo and Dry Scalp conditioner.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a 1, straight with no natural body at all. I wash it maybe every 3 or 4 days, When I worked, I washed it every day except weekends, but I don't think it needs it that often.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I wash my hair three times a week, unless I've been outside working or otherwise really sweaty. Type 2B, more than any of the others. I will say that, once I stopped having my roots done every month, my hair has gotten so much healthier; I should have just stopped years ago.

Hair Biology Purple Shampoo and Conditioner
Redken Purple Shampoo and Conditioner
Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two (clarifier)
Garnier Shampoo and Conditioner

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have fine, thick hair. It tangles, though not as bad as when it was long. I used to wash it every day, but now it is every two or three days. It is on the dry side and instead of using a hair mask weekly, I use one with every wash. It is shoulder length and I am getting a chunky cut soon.