Question of the Day, Wednesday, October 12, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good afternoon and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :clapcat: We eat apples all year round at our house but in the fall there are so many different varieties especially for cooking, baking or in beverages. I remember my grandmother used to make baked apples which were so good. One of my favorites is an apple cobbler or an apple cinnamon pancake. When our kids were young it was a family tradition to go apple picking and there's nothing better than eating an apple right off the tree.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO EAT APPLES? 🍎🍏🍎🍏🍎🍏

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh... I love a homemade apple pie. Sliced and dipped in almond butter or caramel are amazing. Baked apples remind me of my childhood. I do love caramel apples too. Any baked good with apples could be near the top of the list but I'll just eat them too. It's hard to say which is my actual favorite. My grandma made apple squares (pie in a sheet pan) for my cousin and i for our birthdays every year. We preferred it to cake.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite apple dessert is an apple crisp. I think other than a baked apple that is the easiest apple dessert to make and it is my favorite. I also like a good apple just to eat out of hand, nothing on it not in a dessert just out of hand.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I eat a Honeycrisp apple with lunch every day, but my favorite way to eat apples is in an apple pie. If I don’t make it myself, I buy a frozen pie from Willamette Valley Pie Co. Their artisan caramel apple pies are the best commercial pies I’ve ever had (actually, all of their pies are incredibly good). :drool:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite way is to eat it just cut up,maybe into eighths...just plain.You could twist my arm if you had some fat free caramel dip.....dutch apple pies are a favorite in this house,too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually it’s just a half apple with salt. I love Sugarbee and Envy Apples. And every year at this time I have an Abdallah caramel apple which are the absolute best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My husband likes honeycrisps, but he always goes for the sugarbees. :)
If we can't get honeycrisps my husband goes for the cosmic crisp, it's a cross between an enterprise and honeycrisp apple.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If we can't get honeycrisps my husband goes for the cosmic crisp, it's a cross between an enterprise and honeycrisp apple.
Yep, the sugarbees have disappeared so he’s eating cosmic crisps. So many apples, so little time. :lol:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I eat apples every day and have for years. My favorites are Honeycrisp and Sugarbee. I like most apple desserts, but they have to be really good. It upsets me if somebody makes some doughy, undercooked piecrust and ruins the apples that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I like most apple desserts, but they have to be really good.
If I eat an apple dessert it has to be warmed up. For some reason I don't care for them as much if they're at room temperature.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just the way they come off the tree, although I could be tempted by an apple pie, now and again.
That's definitely my preference as well. I do like apple cider, but finding it made the way I remember my grandparents making it when I was a kid has been a really big challenge. A friend mentioned an apple orchard she knows of that sells cider and she said it was the best she's ever had. So....I might have to give that a look. (Apparently you can freeze it for up to a year. That would be a nice treat to have on hand!) And you can't have cider without powdered donuts. :)
I usually have a few baked apples over the course of the winter, too.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't pick one. Taffy apples, apple crisp, apple pie, apple cider doughnuts, cider (of the alcoholic version) in general, plain, with peanut butter, applesauce. So many delicious options.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like apple turnover or whatever sort of cake they serve at the kitchen here, but mostly I eat apples plain, from the supermarket. Royal Gala is my favourite and we’ve been lucky this year, most of them have been lovely and sweet.