Question Of The Day, Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I missed something here: acsewibf. Could you translate, please?
Looking at the keyboard for the kind of errors that creep in when you hit the wrong key while typing, and given the subject, I'd say that the "c" was an accidental key push when reaching for the space bar and "bf" should have been "ng," making "a sewing."

Margret

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Singer used to make the best machines on the planet. However, they rested on their laurels and also began using cheap parts so today's Singers are mediocre at best. It's a shame to see a classic brand sink like that. Brother is today what Singer used to be. And BabyLock, which makes Brother, is the ultimate. The two are alike in most ways, but the Babylock has more bells and whistles.

Our first machine was a Sears bought in 1966. It hated me and did nothing but sew knots in the fabric. It loved my husband and purred along for him. We made curtains for our VW bus so we could go to the World's Fair in Montreal. Then we made new curtains for our sailboat. We were too poor to buy a set of signal flags so we could dress ship so we made them. He cut and I sewed and swore. I think that was the last time I ever touched that evil machine. Come to think of it, I haven't touched a sewing machine since and I hope never to.

I think I missed something here: acsewibf. Could you translate, please?

What do you like to sew? I'd love to see photos!

Oh, wow. That was a whole mess of typo nothingness, lol. I meant to say, "My new tech would also be a sewing machine...."

I have an older singer, likely from the 1960's. I wanna say it's a model # 337? I'll have to double check. I'm a mediocre seamstress at best, to be completely honest. I mostly do repairs on vintage clothing that I sell in my Etsy shop, although I'm trying to devote more time to developing my dexterity and pattern making skills. I haven't done anything really exciting, yet.
I only really got into sewing later in life so that I'd be able to salvage and preserve more vintage clothing, but I wish I had started sooner! And although my Singer is reliable, she feels like she needs a good tune up. I feel like a more modern machine might be a better match for my skill level, although I waved as to whether or not computerized stitches would make sewing more or less complicated for me, haha. I certainly appreciate the appraisal of newer singers, since I was considering either them or Brother. It is quite sad, though, that they've recently lapsed in their craftsmanship.
I love the idea of sewing your own curtains for a VW bus! How dreamy! Even if it was a pain, haha. What else does your husband sew?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the guys in my computer club have been playing around with the Raspberry Pi. Essentially, it's a very cheap DIY computer kit, except it's optimized (?) for Linux (an operating system that DIY computer geeks seem to like). You have to provide/build your own enclosure for it, and there aren't a whole lot of programs available for it yet (most of the people playing with these just want to write their own), but if you're interested I can see whether some of them would be willing to talk with you about it.

Margret
thank you! that's very kind of you to offer that. :) honestly, buying a kit and then building a computer is something i haven't even looked into at all, and i'd want to research it well before considering taking on that project. i'm not even sure what i'd be looking for in the completed/built computer. i'm thinking it's something i might do after i've reached the point (age) that i'm no longer able to heave/haul/lift/move and do '50 million' other things on a regular basis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would strongly suggest a Brother machine, NOT FROM WALMART (theirs are specially-made for them pieces of crap).
That said, mine has been going strong for the past 10 years with nary a hiccup. I guess I lucked out on it!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow. That was a whole mess of typo nothingness, lol. I meant to say, "My new tech would also be a sewing machine...."

I have an older singer, likely from the 1960's. I wanna say it's a model # 337? I'll have to double check. I'm a mediocre seamstress at best, to be completely honest. I mostly do repairs on vintage clothing that I sell in my Etsy shop, although I'm trying to devote more time to developing my dexterity and pattern making skills. I haven't done anything really exciting, yet.
I only really got into sewing later in life so that I'd be able to salvage and preserve more vintage clothing, but I wish I had started sooner! And although my Singer is reliable, she feels like she needs a good tune up. I feel like a more modern machine might be a better match for my skill level, although I waved as to whether or not computerized stitches would make sewing more or less complicated for me, haha. I certainly appreciate the appraisal of newer singers, since I was considering either them or Brother. It is quite sad, though, that they've recently lapsed in their craftsmanship.
I love the idea of sewing your own curtains for a VW bus! How dreamy! Even if it was a pain, haha. What else does your husband sew?
He doesn't quilt but he does just about everything else. He's made matching shirts for us (we have several sets), blouses for me (I'm very hard to fit, being a short wide body), shirts for him, curtains for the house, blankets, "slankets" (snuggies), a lot of clothes for our granddaughter until she got to be about 14 and picky, pillows, a pillowcase for each of our granddaughter's birthdays (she went to MardiGras one year so the pillowcase was a Mardi Gras theme) with a tag that said "Made with love by Granddad" and had two hearts on it, a wonderful cat face purse, some terrific tote bags that all have different themes (dragons, karate, cats, space ship and aliens, Kokopelli, and one other I can't remember), stuffed animals. You name it, he makes it.

This is the purse he made for our granddaughter for her 15th birthday. It was a full-size purse. She didn't like it and handed it back to him. Her mother tried to soften it by saying she didn't carry a purse. The purse was lined in a cat print and had a little gray mouse head change purse inside. A friend of ours said she would like to have it so we gave it to her.

IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tell him that I LOVE that purse, and would carry it EVERYWHERE! I would have as a teen, as well, come to think of it!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell him that I LOVE that purse, and would carry it EVERYWHERE! I would have as a teen, as well, come to think of it!
You just made his day. He'll be delighted! :hyper:

The purse is from a pattern, McCall's, I think. He used a nice black vinyl we got on a markdown table. The inside was lined with a cotton cat print we got on sale at JoAnn's and had pockets and such like a purse should have. The zippers were probably the most expensive part of it, and they weren't much. If you want the pattern number, I'll be glad to get it. He said it was pretty easy to make.

I just read your message to him and he's grinning from ear to ear. Thanks for the kind words.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I meant them, and I'd love the pattern number! I'm an indifferent sewer, but I'd make the effort for that one!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He doesn't quilt but he does just about everything else. He's made matching shirts for us (we have several sets), blouses for me (I'm very hard to fit, being a short wide body), shirts for him, curtains for the house, blankets, "slankets" (snuggies), a lot of clothes for our granddaughter until she got to be about 14 and picky, pillows, a pillowcase for each of our granddaughter's birthdays (she went to MardiGras one year so the pillowcase was a Mardi Gras theme) with a tag that said "Made with love by Granddad" and had two hearts on it, a wonderful cat face purse, some terrific tote bags that all have different themes (dragons, karate, cats, space ship and aliens, Kokopelli, and one other I can't remember), stuffed animals. You name it, he makes it.

This is the purse he made for our granddaughter for her 15th birthday. It was a full-size purse. She didn't like it and handed it back to him. Her mother tried to soften it by saying she didn't carry a purse. The purse was lined in a cat print and had a little gray mouse head change purse inside. A friend of ours said she would like to have it so we gave it to her.

View attachment 204324 View attachment 204325
My apologies, I missed your reply. Trying to get back up on my forum etiquette.

Tell your husband that purse is so cool! I would also wear that purse everywhere, and I can tell just from the pic how well made it is. I've only had one foray into sewing vinyl, but it was no picnic!
Side note: I see teenage girls wearing cat-themed things all the time. It's definitely been a trend the past few years, especially that geometric style. Kate spade / ted baker did a series of then which were like $200, and nowhere near as cute!

Double side note: I can't wait until the day that I can make my own snuggie. You and your husband are giving me something to strive for!!!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone wants to make one of the purses, they're pretty easy. The pattern is Simplicity 1181. I'm sure full price is outrageous, but we caught it on sale at JoAnn's for $1. It has an adorable fox, too. We used a fat quarter for the eyes because there are so many colors and patterns but you could most certainly get by with 1/8 yard of any print you wanted. I think my husband covered the webbing strap with vinyl to match the purse. Did you see the little mouse on the back?

You have to pick a lightweight but durable vinyl, one that your sewing machine can handle. Most machines do beautifully but some just can't make it. Robert used a mid-level Brother and had no problems.

A snuggie is really easy. There are only a few pieces and seams. If you want, I'll see if he has the pattern. I do know he modified it a bit. Mine has the bottom turned up to the inside to make a pocket for my feet. It also has pockets. Fleece is often on sale, but you have to feel it because there are a lot of different weights.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the tips! I DID see the adorable little mouse on the back. I'll see if I can find the cat purse pattern at my jo Ann's. I know they had a bunch of fleece on sale last time I went. One of my kitties is just wild about these cozy fleece and faux Sherpa blankets we have around the house. She snuggles up in them and makes biscuits. I'd love to have a snuggie for the winter just so she can come and cuddle on top of me in it! By the way, I think it's so sweet that he can make clothes for you. Do you have a favorite piece of clothing that he's made?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the tips! I DID see the adorable little mouse on the back. I'll see if I can find the cat purse pattern at my jo Ann's. I know they had a bunch of fleece on sale last time I went. One of my kitties is just wild about these cozy fleece and faux Sherpa blankets we have around the house. She snuggles up in them and makes biscuits. I'd love to have a snuggie for the winter just so she can come and cuddle on top of me in it! By the way, I think it's so sweet that he can make clothes for you. Do you have a favorite piece of clothing that he's made?
I picked up a few extra copies of the cat purse pattern while they were on sale for $1. If you want one (no charge, of course), PM me your name and address and I'll sent one to you.

Robert has made so many wonderful things for me that it's hard to choose one. I get tons of use out of my slanket (snuggie) but I love my red khaftan. And then there are the blouses...and the alterations...

Here's a little pegacorn (allicorn) (unicorn-Pegasus cross) he made for our granddaughter's 10th birthday. It actually stands on its four feet. The tag you see says,"Made with love by Granddad". He put it everything he made for her.

Pegacorn sitting up.jpg

I hope to hear from you soon!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I want that purse too. I would be thrilled to carry it at any age. It is adorable!!
You just made my husband's day. His head will be so big I don't know if he can get through the front door.

We just got the fabric to make some new fleece ponchos. It's a Native American pattern on a turquoise background. I think they'll be really nice. Not only that, but they're quick to make. What's not to like?

I have at least one more of the patterns if you want one. Just PM me your name and address and I'll send it to you (free, of course!)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband made Chocolate her own blankie. It's sherpa on one side and a brown paw print fleece on the other side. As soon as he finished it, she lay down on it. She's at her elegant and graceful best in this photo.
Chocolateupside down on her blankie.jpg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You just made my husband's day. His head will be so big I don't know if he can get through the front door.

We just got the fabric to make some new fleece ponchos. It's a Native American pattern on a turquoise background. I think they'll be really nice. Not only that, but they're quick to make. What's not to like?

I have at least one more of the patterns if you want one. Just PM me your name and address and I'll send it to you (free, of course!)
I appreciate that very much but I do not sew. At all. I took home ec in junior high and the sewing portion of it was an epic fail for me. Your hubby is very talented.