Question of the Day, Wednesday, November 6, 2019

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I cook out of necessity but I have always loved to bake. I started baking with my own children when they were young and they both enjoy it now that they're grown. One of my favorites is a bittersweet chocolate chip bundt cake.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can make spaghetti sauce in my sleep and never use a recipe, but I make it the same way every time. I don't like the jarred sauces. I can also make biscuits in a heartbeat, and they are the best ever.

I nearly fainted dead away when I watched my DIL make biscuits. She's from Wisconsin, so she doan no how to make Southern biscuits. She put flour, baking powder, and cold butter in a Cuisanart to chop it up. So far, so good, except for the butter. Crisco would be better (it melts at a higher temp than butter). Then she poured in milk, and turned the machine on again. No, no, NO, NO. That will homogenize everything. Milk needs to be stirred in gently until it all comes together like pie crust. Then she turned it out on the counter and rolled it out. At that point, the dough needs to be folded and pressed, folded and pressed about 7 or 8 times, which she didn't do. After she cooked them, she put them on a plate where they waited several hours until dinner. We had cold biscuits. Treason! Absolute treason! Biscuits are always served right out of the oven, hot, hot, HOT!

Ain't that right, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Everything I know about cooking;

Butter is flammable.
Cooking sherry cannot be used in cocktails.
Mayonnaise and tomato ketchup make a passable pasta sauce, if you swig the cooking sherry before eating.
It is possible for something to be burnt on the outside but still frozen inside.
If you dip stale bread in water and then warm it in the oven it tastes fresh.
There are some things even the crows won't eat.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can make spaghetti sauce in my sleep and never use a recipe, but I make it the same way every time. I don't like the jarred sauces. I can also make biscuits in a heartbeat, and they are the best ever.

I nearly fainted dead away when I watched my DIL make biscuits. She's from Wisconsin, so she doan no how to make Southern biscuits. She put flour, baking powder, and cold butter in a Cuisanart to chop it up. So far, so good, except for the butter. Crisco would be better (it melts at a higher temp than butter). Then she poured in milk, and turned the machine on again. No, no, NO, NO. That will homogenize everything. Milk needs to be stirred in gently until it all comes together like pie crust. Then she turned it out on the counter and rolled it out. At that point, the dough needs to be folded and pressed, folded and pressed about 7 or 8 times, which she didn't do. After she cooked them, she put them on a plate where they waited several hours until dinner. We had cold biscuits. Treason! Absolute treason! Biscuits are always served right out of the oven, hot, hot, HOT!

Ain't that right, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ?
At that point, I would have patted her on the shoulder and said, "bless your heart!" :alright:

Then I would have gone to Popeye's and gotten some biscuits. Hers would have gone to the crows and squirrels. Cold biscuits? Never.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I invented this very simple recipe for slow-cooked pulled beef. When company comes over, I usually make it., Everyone loves it.My best friend even requested it whe I catered her wedding rehearsal dinner. It's what we have as a main dish for Christmas, too. When Giant or Acme have BOGO beef roast sales, I stiock up the chest freezer. The finished product freezes well. Just add a dollop of ketchup or a tiny amount of water whe reheating it, as it dries out a bit in storage. You can use any type of beef roast, as long as it's not marinated or seasoned, or has string wrapped around it. It can be made with more gravy by adding a bit more water when cooking. It's good, with less gravy as a sandwich. Leftovers sometimes become shepherd's pie.

SLOW-COOKED PULLED BEEF (Serves 6-8)

1, 2 to 3 lb. beef roast
1 envelope dry onion soup mix (cheap brands are just as good as Lipton)
About 1/4 c. ketchup
About 2 TBL spicy brown mustard
About 1 c. water.
1 onion. chopped (optional)

Place roast in large Crock-Pot. Spread the ketchup and mustard over the top of the roast. Sprinkle the soup mix on that. Pour in the water. Cook on HIGH 6-8 hours (you may need to add up to 1/2 c. extra water if your roast is drying out, but I usually don't need to). Shred when done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is so right it hurts! That woman should learn how to bake biscuits from a Southern gal! We have it down to a fine art!

Cooking sherry cannot be used in cocktails.
Baby, cooking sherry shouldn't even be used in cooking!

Wow...I really think that we must somehow manage a world-wide pot luck supper at some point. Maybe I'll win a lottery and can pop for tickets for those outside of the USA! And those of you who aren't able (or just can't) cook are MORE than welcome to come and just enjoy!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so right it hurts! That woman should learn how to bake biscuits from a Southern gal! We have it down to a fine art!
Ever since I posted that, I've been trying to figure out how to tell her tactfully how to make biscuits and pie crusts. (She homogenizes the pie crust, too.) All I can come up with is suggesting she watch Paula Deen. DIL loves those cooking shows, and I'm sure Gordon Ramsey and Paul Hollywood don't know how to make biscuits, either.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think my favorite thing to cook is my pecan pie. I know the recipe and make two pies at the time. I never eat them. I take them to church function and give them away. I have seen folks fight over them, or steal slices out of someone else's pie.