Question of the Day, Wednesday, November 22, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :happycat: Although tomorrow is Thanksgiving here I'm going with a cat question today since not everyone celebrates that holiday but we all fondly love our cat or cats. :greenpaw:

DOES YOUR CAT(S) LIKE TO BE PICKED UP?

Carleton is extremely affectionate and a real people cat but he's not thrilled about being picked up. He will tolerate it for a few minutes then gives me the "look." :rolleyes2:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch will tolerate it but I don’t pick her up often anymore because I don’t want to cause her pain with the arthritis being in her lower end like the vet said. I used to carry her around and let her check out stuff she normally can’t reach. Batting the pull chains on the ceiling fan from my arms was a favorite pastime. :catrub:

She LOVES to be in your lap or snuggled right next to you on the couch though. I just let her choose where and when to sit. She used to stay up on my shoulders and sit on my chest and then we’d nap like that.:catlove:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Austin doesn't mind, but Cricket would throw a royal fit if I tried. Austin is my lap kitty (or body kitty if I'm laying down). Cricket is my I'll sit next to you and purr but don't even think I'll be getting on your lap kitty. I love them both unconditionally.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mooch will tolerate it but I don’t pick her up often anymore because I don’t want to cause her pain with the arthritis being in her lower end like the vet said. I used to carry her around and let her check out stuff she normally can’t reach. Batting the pull chains on the ceiling fan from my arms was a favorite pastime. :catrub:

She LOVES to be in your lap or snuggled right next to you on the couch though. I just let her choose where and when to sit. She used to stay up on my shoulders and sit on my chest and then we’d nap like that.:catlove:
I do that with Austin once in a while, show him what he can't usually see. My RB kitty Swanie loved to be carried around, but he got really big (not just overweight but big) and I was afraid I'd hurt him picking him up. So I would get a laundry basket and let him get in and carry that around. He loved it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Molli and Muffin love to be picked up and paraded around the house. It's not a bother to them at all. Tabby? Nope. We think it's because we had to handle her so much when she had that horrid case of ear mites when she was a kitten. It's turned her off to being a lap kitty and she doesn't like to be picked up. She'll tolerate it, but she's not amused.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Graycie. the former feral who was outside for 5 years and almost died due to an evil person, can be picked up and put over my shoulder like a baby. The others can be picked up, but don't like it. However, they don't mind piling up on top of me on their own terms.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Long Legs loves to be picked up and held as well as to get kisses on his head and neck. When I'm out of the house for more than 30 minutes, he greets me, winds between my legs and gives me a look that says 'Please pick me up and give me some cuddles 'cause I missed you soooo much'.

Binks on the other hand will tolerate it for a few minutes and then needs to get back on the ground. He will however crawl on my chest when I'm sitting down and likes to be cradled in my arms with his head tucked in my armpit.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow, absolutely not because it just terrifies her. She used to like to sit next to me while I dressed in the morning. I used it one morning as an opportunity to pick her up and weigh her. Took all of twenty seconds and in the ten years that has passed since then she hasn’t come onto my bed in the morning even once.

Lola on the other hand would like nothing more than for me to pick her up carry her around all day.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Charlotte will tolerate it and that is it. She is affectionate, jumps up on my lap and snuggles in bed. She doesn't really like being picked up or even restrained in anyway. My last two cats before her were the same way.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy doesn't care for it, probably because she's heavy. Phoebe is sometimes wary (picked up means getting meds, or her chin cleaned, or - horrors! - being put in the carrier to go to the vet) but she's quite happy to be picked up if she initiates it, ie when I'm sitting on the loo. She'll stand on her back feet and want to be picked up to sit on my shoulder. Distracting, to say the least.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Ozzy tolerates it. Mowie was a wild animal when I first tried to pick her up. Now after six months with us, she’ll tolerate being held and carried briefly.

It’s something I miss about my Zoe who we lost last December. 😢 I’d pick her up, she’d put her paws over my shoulder and I could carry her around all over the place, petting her. She loved it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ozzy tolerates it. Mowie was a wild animal when I first tried to pick her up. Now after six months with us, she’ll tolerate being held and carried briefly.

It’s something I miss about my Zoe who we lost last December. 😢 I’d pick her up, she’d put her paws over my shoulder and I could carry her around all over the place, petting her. She loved it.
Willie was that way, too. When he passed, it really left a weird gap in the cats hierarchy. He loved to be picked up, held, and pet. The ones we have now, not so much for being held. :(

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of mine do and some don't.My guys are somewhat all over the board and won't let me put them down,some would rather snuggle when we go to bed,some would rather perch on the dining table anmd be close that way.Odd group I have I guess.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remy absolutely hates it. He loves to cuddle, but only if he chooses to sit in my lap. If I pick him up he gets so mad. Once I set him down he bites my legs. Maisie hates people and last week I was able to pick her up for 5 seconds (the longest I've ever gotten away with that). Flora loves being held and picked up. She's definitely the most cuddly of my cats.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Diamond likes it for a minute, then wants down.
Seal is a little freaked at first, but then nuzzles for several minutes. I don't pick him up much, though I enjoy the nuzzles when I do.
Leo loves being picked up and held. He is a lap cat too.
Tiger does not like it much.
Boden will let me pick him up and carry him to another room, but then he wants down.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie will growl and mew out a bunch of complaints if anyone tries. though she does allow me to carry her like a football . but i try not to hold her since only one arm and hand works i cant provide proper support if i hold her so i dont unless needed:lol:the growling i feel like it was her way to not be adopted until we got there that day and took her home with us.:biggrin:

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here, a moody cat can show his mood. So, depending on his mood, mine loves it, tolerates it, or detests it.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely Pickup Either Jackpot or Miles. Jackpot is my "Best Buddy". He loves to lie next to me or on me. He's the Alpha Male, quite vocal with a noticable purr.
Miles is timid compared to Jackpot . Of the two Cats Miles is the jealous one.