QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, NOV. 10, 2021

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby was in the Army and is a VietNam veteran.His older brother was in the Coast Guard and younger brother was in the Marines.I have a couple of step brothers and an uncle who were in the Army.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot the historical ones. One grandfather (lied about his age and enlisted at fourteen) and five or six great greats who served in the civil war, including one half black half Native American farmer who volunteered; several revolutionary war soldiers who were “Green Mountain Boys“ and who also served in the War of 1812 in the Vermont and New York areas.
Oh wow, that's way back. I have no idea about any ancestors on my mom's side. My brother did manage to find out that my dad's side came over from Ireland, Scotland, and Cornwall only a few generations ago, but my mom's side is more of a mystery. I'm pretty sure my grandpa's dad was in WWI though.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was in WWII, mostly in France, he had a French girlfriend who wrote to him afer he came
home, numerus letters. I wanted to get them translated but my mother said it was none of my business.
I've always wondered if Nicole and I have an older sibling.

My brother-in-law was in Vietnam, a taboo subject in their home.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only found out my grandpa was in the navy quite recently. He was supposed to be sent out to Suriname, but got to stay home because my grandma was pregnant. He told me it was an alright time, but he preferred to be close to home with his still growing family.

My dad didn't have to go, since he had 3 brothers that went before him.

My mum wanted to be a medic in the military, but they kinda kicked her out😂 They said she was too dominant and was a natural leader. She told me that when they were having lunch, all the ranks were separated at different tables. They were out of cheese, but the table with all the really high ranking men, still had a lot. So she just walked over there and asked if she could have some, very casually. She ended up joining at their table and having a nice chat. But they weren't very keen on having someone with a disregard for standing in their team...

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My father was in WWII, mostly in France, he had a French girlfriend who wrote to him afer he came
home, numerus letters. I wanted to get them translated but my mother said it was none of my business.
I've always wondered if Nicole and I have an older sibling.

My brother-in-law was in Vietnam, a taboo subject in their home.
I was in the Army from 1976-1984 so there were a lot of Vietnam vets still in when I went in. My ex was also a Vietnam vet. It was a taboo subject among a lot of guys, actually most of them. There were certainly no old war stories.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My Dad's oldest brother died in WWII at the age of 19. Two of his older sisters were Wrens. My Dad was only 10 when WWII ended, but he served two years of National Service and learnt how to drive a tank.

My Grandfather of my Mum's side walked with a limp because of polio, so wasn't drafted. 3 of my Grandmother's 4 brothers fought in WWII, the oldest had lung damage from some childhood illness so wasn't drafted.

My husband's grandfather was the same age as my Dad. His oldest brother died in WWII, but I don't know any details about that apart from the fact that he was 17 years old and of course was Japanese so was on the "other" side. Not that it matters now. All that remains is the tragedy of 17 and 19 year olds dying that way.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father was in the Navy during WWII. He never saw any action but he said the worst part was the smell of death coming from the bodies floating in the water. My brother was drafted into the Army and served in Vietnam from 67-68. He won't talk about it and to this day he still has nightmares. I had a female cousin that was in the Army stationed in Germany in the 80's. She got out as soon as she could when she was raped by an officer. She said a lot of that went on. My nephew is in the Army and has served 2 tours in Afghanistan.

mister obama

don daleiden at my house...
Young Cat
Purraise
My Dad's oldest brother died in WWII at the age of 19. Two of his older sisters were Wrens. My Dad was only 10 when WWII ended, but he served two years of National Service and learnt how to drive a tank.

My Grandfather of my Mum's side walked with a limp because of polio, so wasn't drafted. 3 of my Grandmother's 4 brothers fought in WWII, the oldest had lung damage from some childhood illness so wasn't drafted.

My husband's grandfather was the same age as my Dad. His oldest brother died in WWII, but I don't know any details about that apart from the fact that he was 17 years old and of course was Japanese so was on the "other" side. Not that it matters now. All that remains is the tragedy of 17 and 19 year olds dying that way.
We send all our strong men to war and all that are left at home are the genetically inferior...

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, what does this mean?
The ones that get a 4F draft status- flat feet, weak eyes; generally any physical or mental defect which renders them unfit for military service. Gary and Jeff were young, strong men- and they came home from 'Nam in metal boxes.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my great grandparents was rejected from the British army due to anti Irish prejudice at the time, but the other fought in the Battle of Gallipoli. His son later helped with the Palestinian resistance in 1948. A great uncle was shot down by German planes in WWII and more recently, my cousin has just retired from the navy. My mum also used to recruit for the air force at one point but never did any combat work.