QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, NOV. 10, 2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy middle of the week! Since we set the clocks back an hour it's been getting light out earlier so Carleton and I have been having breakfast together without having to turn on any lights. :catlove:

Tomorrow we celebrate Veterans Day in the U.S., also known as Remembrance Day in other countries. :salute: Veterans Day pays tribute to military veterans who have served their country. Great Britain, Canada, France and Australia also honors their veterans. Many of us have family members or friends who are veterans, both past and present, as well as some of our own TCS members. My father served in the Army during WWII, my cousin was a medic in Afghanistan and we have many friends who were also veterans in different branches of the military.

For today's QUESTION OF THE DAY - DO YOU HAVE ANY FAMILY OR FRIENDS WHO WERE VETERANS IN THE MILITARY AS WELL AS YOURSELF?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a vet but I did not serve in combat. I always feel I should make that clear. I had an Uncle who was in the Army then reenlisted in the Air Force. My Grandfather served in combat in WWI. He had health issues the rest of his life because he was gassed and had permanent damage to his lungs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, lol. Deep breath:
My dad was in the Navy, full 20-year retiree. I grew up on Navy bases in Japan. He never saw combat either; he joined at the end of the Vietnam War but it was over before he got out of boot camp. He does have several medals for "serving during wartime" but none of his ships actually participated in any conflicts. There was a close call in the Persian Gulf once but they were only there to deliver supplies.

My paternal grandpa was in the Navy at some point, later switched to civil service and worked for the Panama Canal Company. I don't know a lot of details about his Navy time; that side of the family isn't too talkative.

My dad's 2 brothers were in. . .the Air Force, I think? I know one was stationed in Alaska at one point. He might have been Navy. And one was a commercial pilot after he retired from the service, so I'm pretty sure he was Air Force.

On my mom's side:
My grandpa was in the Navy during WWII. He was in a submarine. He was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. He was only in for 18 months but it was an eventful 18 months. After that he worked for the Panama Canal Company.

My grandma was in the WAC during WWII and worked with the Code Talkers. She was a general's secretary after the war and he was very upset when she got pregnant and was forced to quit. But that's how it was back then. She also worked for the PCC after she got out of the service.

Her oldest brother was a radio operator in Vietnam. Army, I think. And then I think he switched to civil service, or maybe he was still active duty, anyway he was a plumber/HVAC/maintenance/etc. guy at the White Sands Missile Range and did his full career there.

Her second brother was a medic in Vietnam. Not good. He had bad PTSD and ended up drinking himself to death. After Vietnam he worked for the Panama Canal until they handed it over to Panama.

Her youngest brother has kind of service-hopped and has been in the Coast Guard, Army, and Army National Guard. He was in Afghanistan in his 50s, as a cook, and had to wear full flak gear in a kitchen in 120-degree weather, poor guy. But that's the worst he ever experienced.

Next generation:
Honestly I think only 1 of my cousins on my mom's side has served. He was in the Army for maybe 10 years, was stationed in Germany. I'm not sure about my dad's side cousins; we haven't had contact with 3 of them since I was a baby. The ones I've had contact with haven't served. And my brother's girlfriend was in the Army National Guard for a few years right out of high school but was never deployed.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a friend i grew up with older than i that served during all the gulf wars in the army another high school buddy that served as a marine. my bro in law spent 4 years as a marine :biggrin:my nephew was created on one of the visits i drove my lil sister to visit him while he was stationed at pendleton gf has an aunt and uncle both retired marines

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both grandfathers. My maternal grandfather was navy? For WWII, but the war was basically over by the time he went to the Pacific, so I think it was mostly rebuilding stuff? Not sure. My paternal grandfather was in the Merchant Marines, and my dad's older brother was enlisted during Vietnam, but I'm not sure he ever got over there. My dad was in college and didn't get drafted.

I don't know near as many details as I ought to.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It almost feels like "Who hasn't?" with my family; but it leans more heavily to my stepfamily.

3/4 of my grandparents are first generation American so we start there. Both grandfathers and one grandmother served during WW2. My Dad's parents met where they were stationed.

My step-grandfather retired from the army when the only option left was a job at the pentagon and he didn't want to move his family again. He came to visit us at the base my stepdad was stationed at once and the base commander found and greeted him (after chewing out the guards for not notifying him who was on base). He is an amazing speaker and came to our church to speak for Memorial Day one year. I've seen him in uniform...it's impressive; but it's VERY moving when he and my stepdad speak about experiences and missions few people know about.

My father had a short enlistment. My stepdad is retired military.

DH was active duty when we married.

3 of 4 of my stepsiblings have or currently serve. The other was married to one. One SIL is currently active duty as well.

My stepdad is one of eight and the majority of his siblings either served or were military spouses. Some of their children served or currently serve. Or were/are married to someone who did/does. I'd really have to stop and think to count accurately. It's a big family.

Many of my grandparent's brothers served of course with the WW2 generation; so a number of cousins served after their fathers and now their children do or did. My uncle said he just missed being drafted for Vietnam; but a number of his friends were. So I guess that accounts for why we have a little gap there on my side of the family.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad was in WWII. He was in Europe. Did not see any fighting, as he was placed as a cook in the Medical Corps— precursor to the MASH units.

He had to take medic training classes, as well as the cooking stuff. He did have to help take care of the wounded and the people of the liberated concentration camps.

Because he was in the Medical Corps, he was not allowed to carry a gun. One of the soldiers gave him one— just to be safe. I cannot imagine.

He did not see action; behind the lines, but was close enough to hear it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad was a WWII army vet, although he was stationed stateside. His older brother was in the navy in WWII and one of my grandfathers was a WWI army vet. Another pair of uncles on the other side of the family were in the army and navy in the 'fifties.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3x great grandfather- American Revolution
3x great uncle- War of 1812
Great grandfather- Civil War
Uncle (KIA)- WWII
Older brother- Navy 1958-'62
Me- Navy- 1967-'71
Younger brother- Marines- 1972-'76
Uncle (mother's brother)- Army- 1953-'55
Brothers-in-law (2) Army- 1965-'67 and '69-'71,both in Viet Nam
There are also several of my high school classmates who served, including one KIA in Viet Nam, and one childhood friend who was a Marine KIA in 'Nam in 1970. There are probably others as well, but these are the ones I'm sure of.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad was in WWII. He was in Europe. Did not see any fighting, as he was placed as a cook in the Medical Corps— precursor to the MASH units.

He had to take medic training classes, as well as the cooking stuff. He did have to help take care of the wounded and the people of the liberated concentration camps.

Because he was in the Medical Corps, he was not allowed to carry a gun. One of the soldiers gave him one— just to be safe. I cannot imagine.

He did not see action; behind the lines, but was close enough to hear it.
As a Hospital Corpsman, I was not allowed to carry an offensive weapon. I was, however, issued a .45 automatic pistol for self defense and the defense of any wounded under my care.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3x great grandfather- American Revolution
3x great uncle- War of 1812
Great grandfather- Civil War
Uncle (KIA)- WWII
Older brother- Navy 1958-'62
Me- Navy- 1967-'71
Younger brother- Marines- 1972-'76
Uncle (mother's brother)- Army- 1953-'55
Brothers-in-law (2) Army- 1965-'67 and '69-'71,both in Viet Nam
There are also several of my high school classmates who served, including one KIA in Viet Nam, and one childhood friend who was a Marine KIA in 'Nam in 1970. There are probably others as well, but these are the ones I'm sure of.
You certainly have a family committed to military service!

I also have a few friends lost to Viet Nam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the reminders about extended family - I had 3 uncles who were in the Army. DH had 5 uncles, 1 who was a pilot in the Air Force and 4 in the Army. My grandfather also served in the Army but his back was injured and from the time I was a child I never remember him being able to stand up, he always needed assistance.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My dad was in the Army and stationed in The Philippines during WWII. He would never talk about it. He died in 2008, but I still have the star they gave my grandparents while he was deployed. I keep it on my dresser.
A9004BE8-707D-473F-8327-221AA0A4CE81.jpeg

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot the historical ones. One grandfather (lied about his age and enlisted at fourteen) and five or six great greats who served in the civil war, including one half black half Native American farmer who volunteered; several revolutionary war soldiers who were “Green Mountain Boys“ and who also served in the War of 1812 in the Vermont and New York areas.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not come from a military family...there may be some extended family, but none that I know of off the top of my head. My husband's grandfather was in the military, however I don't know all the details. My husband's great uncle's were also in the war (WWII), one did not make it home. The military was a big part of my husband's family history, they all have great resect for it and several family members are buried in the veteran's section of the cemetery. But again, I don't know all the details. My brother in law retired from the military. He was only in for just over 10 years, but after 2 tours in Afghanistan, missing the beginning of his first-born's life, and watching a friend basically get blown up in front of him by a road side bomb, when my sister was expecting their second, he decided he was done. He wanted to be home for his family. He doesn't talk too much about it, but he did show us some video footage once. It's indescribable how disturbing the sights and sounds are in those videos. The gun fire you hear in the (not to) distance NEVER stops!