Question Of The Day - Wednesday, May 7th!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Afraid is not the right word. However, I have enough bad experiences going back half a century to make it very hard for me to establish a trusting relationship with a dentist. The last one of those I had ended 13 years ago when she decided to stay home and be a mother to her kids. I've seen two since then, for a couple of years each, before my negative feelings became too large. It's too many years since I have been, and I know I need a bunch of work done, but I'm not going back to the last one, and haven't got off the pot to find a new one. I really should do that while I'm still working and have a dental plan to cover at least some of it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate going to the dentist. I had an emergency root canal last monday. I got a temp. crown yesterday, and today i have to go back and have two fillings done

In two weeks i get my permenant crown and i still have to go back and get one more filling after that. So yea, i'm about sick of going to the dentist so much recently!

My teeth are incredably sensitive- so i use sensodyne toothpaste on a regular basis- but even for them to do a cleaning- they have to use a topical ointment to numb me before they can even clean- they're painfully sensitive

I hate the sound of the drills and the pain/sensitivity - but thankfully i have an excellent dentist who tries to be as painless as possible (and doesn't mind me listening to my ipod when he uses a drill!). For me though the worst part is the cost- dentists are WAY too expensive!

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not too terribly afraid of going to the dentist. I had braces in middle school and high school so I am used to having hardware in there and having someone prod around in my mouth. Also, I used to be a dental assistant so I am familiar with the whole process and know exactly when the hygienist or dentist is going to do before they do it. I brush and floss meticulously so my cleanings never take very long. I had my first cavity a couple of years ago and I was rather nervous about getting it filled, but it was a breeze. Having a good dentist makes all the difference.

Of course, the above refers strictly to regular dental visits. I am downright terrified of dental surgery. I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth pulled after I had my braces removed, but never did. My husband had his wisdom teeth pulled last year and I thought that I'd finally have it done as well. The surgery was difficult for him, however, so I chickened out all over again.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to be afraid. But then I got older and started to appreciate having real teeth.

Also a few years ago I switched to a new dentist that is young and schooled on the latest techniques.

And this dentist is also a she. Don't know if that makes a difference but either way I like her.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I just went there today for a cleaning.

I'm only afraid of going if I have to have something done that I think is going to hurt.. which I've hardly had to do, just a few cavities, and I hate getting shots..

I haven't gotten my wisdom teeth out yet, and I know I'll be afraid when that time comes..

meezersmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going to the dentist is certainly not my favorite thing to do. It's one of those "dread it, but have to go through with it" deals, if I want to keep my teeth in good condition. The worst thing I've ever had done was having a crown put on, when a molar with a large filling cracked. I'm sure I'd be a lot more resistant about going if they did anything worse than that!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not AFRAID of the dentist, I just despise going to the dentist. Last time they didn't even fix my cavity correctly. Arghhh.