Question of the Day - Wednesday May 19

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

This question is off the top of my head this morning as I can't think of anything else right now.

What type of decorations do you have on your walls? Do you have watercolors, prints, oil paintings or anything else?

I mostly have oil paintings we got over the years from the sidewalk sale in Santa Barbara. These are their local artists and are beach and ocean scenes. I also have a plaque on my kitchen wall that I have had for about 35 years. It is a poster that was glued and shellacked which was very popular in the 70's. I also have a "dream catcher" on my livingroom wall. In the small area in front of our bedroom and bathroom, I have a nice framed print of our wedding. The bathroom has 2 cute watercolors of cats in glassed in frames and a little birdhouse decoration that someone made me around 18 years ago.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting question!

In the foyer, we have a huge "bar mirror" type with a lion's head and mane on the wall. For some reason, it's perfect right there. DH gave it to me years and years ago for Christmas and I love it.

In the living room, one of our pictures is a proof called "Love Eyes" by CatmanDrew. It's a pretty little tabby cat with gorgeous eyes. He does beautiful work. He can be found here: http://www.catmandrew.com/drewscats.html

In our computer room, DH gave me two beautiful pictures. One is a proof called "Elmer and Loretta Hanging Out" by Charles Wysocki. I love the Wysocki cats and we now have several of his proofs throughout the house, but that was the first one we bought.

Also in the computer is a beautiful print we found locally. It's called "Guardian Angels Never Sleep" and it shows an angel carrying an orange tiger kitty up into the night sky with the stars all around them. We lost our Pumpkin-Boy, an orange tiger, at 2:00 in the morning to leukemia, when our vet came to our house to put him to sleep at the foot of our bed. Not too long after Pumpkin's death, DH found the print and bought it for me. To this day, I think of our little orange boy when I look at the picture. Indeed, guardian angels never do sleep....they're there whenever they're needed. That print means so much to us.

In the bedroom are some of the other Wysocki prints that we've purchased. And when we were at the shore several years ago, my DH took a beautiful picture of the sun rising over the ocean early one morning. He loved that picture, so that year for Christmas, I had the picture enlarged and framed and gave that to him as part of his Christmas present.

Other than those items, we just have a collection of things on our walls. My son gave me a beautiful print of January flowers and herbs that he had had framed for me one year for Mothers Day (my birthday is in January). One of my aunts was a talented painter and she gave me several of her paintings that are now hung throughout the house. I'd say that most of our artwork has personal meaning for us in one way or another.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some vinyl up ---the lease says I'm not allowed to paint but since I like color, this is the way I do it. This is an example http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...or/vmms001.jpg I don't have this specific design and the pic's not my house
-it's from the internet - these things go on easily and come off without damage. you can find them on ebay and etsy under vinyl wall.

Also my cousin is an artist in Pennsylvania and he gives me oils- Well, I think they're oils. They don't have a frame- They're wrapped tight and there are staples on the back which are hidden when hanged. I'll try to take a pic of his oils and the vinyl I have.

i also have a Chinese poem hanging - It's frameless too- meaning wrapped tight with staples on the back, similar to the oils. It was given to me. I can't guess the material - It looks like rubber or maybe canvas with a rubbery shellac
If I had tons of cash to burn I would make a lot of custom hangings such as these

Source: Redipix.com

I assume there are staples on the back.
I like how it looks like a "box lid" (frameless). Officially they are called "wrapped canvas giclees" to my knowlege and they're always frameless. Regular giclees (non-wrapped) are usually framed.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
speaking of Charles Wysocki, in my old apartment I had a Charles Wysocki tin with cats on it. It was cute, about 7"x10". I stood it upright on its side to decorate the kitchen counter. However, it got lost when I moved.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Interesting question!

I try to put decorations when the season is close ( I mean spring, winter, etc or some festivities are close....Halloween or Patriot month...
..)

I´ll try to find my pictures and put it here...
( If I remember where I put it...
my hard drive was erased by a total clean of my laptop...
..)

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two oil paintings of the ocean in my living room, both were bought many years ago while living in San Diego. They were unknown artists but their work is beautiful.

I have a very long hallway and have pictures along the walls, a few of them are of my Rainbow Angel Misty and a few of Autumn. Also have my parents wedding picture which was redone many years ago and I always have it displayed.

In my computer room I have a few pics on the top shelf of my desk and a couple of pictures on the walls.

Have a few things on the backsplash of my kitchen. All in all it all looks very nice and not overly done.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My walls are really plain. I kept meaning to get something to put over the couch in the living room since its just beige coloured wall. I never got around to it, and now we are planning on moving at the end of the summer so there is no point.

By my tv I have a frame with 6 wedding pictures in it. Beside my closet I have an autographed picture of comedian Kevin Smith. I did not want that there. Last summer when we were moving in, my friend thought it would be funny to hang it there because I said I didn't want it there. She got my landlord to do it and he used a huge screw so now if I take it out there is a hole in the wall.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my what a hodgepodge!! Our walls go from wood carvings to ceramic ducks to an old and not too horrible paint by numbers here in the family room, to proper oils, water colours, family photos, assorted prints, and two pieces of longstitch that my Dad did. My special treasure is a rendition of Tom Thomson's Jackpine hanging in my dining room. It works extraordinarily well in longstitch.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a question (sigh) since i've moved I haven't hung all my stuff up. Its bugging me but I have a few issues. Where I moved there are lighted sconces on almost every wall. The walls that don't have sconces are so big that my little paintings and prints don't seem to fit the space to my liking. I have a floral oil painting of Lilys thats in a Golden Girl style frame.
I love it anyway!
and a print of Van Goghs painting of his chair with pipe laying on it, a mirror with a border of different paisley type shapes all of different warm colors. I managed to find a place for another floral print I have. Lets just say I love florals.

Most of my stuff I got from my Mom when she was downsizing. So I could definately go and find some things that are more to my style right now. But I don't feel I can just get rid of those things I got from my Mom and until I do I don't feel I can justify getting anything new......

I love the idea of the vinyl decorations since I rent also....can't wait to look into that! Espcially for my big walls I need to cover.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

I love the idea of the vinyl decorations since I rent also....can't wait to look into that! Espcially for my big walls I need to cover.
In my humble opinion, the nicer ones are usually over $40

The mega sized ones for big walls can cost over $70 easily-- but it's nice to know they can fill up a big blank wall.

Remember to look for the color choices on a clickable popup window (for example, #46513617 on Etsy). Most of the samples will show white vinyl on a colored wall, or black or red vinyl on a light wall. I wish I could do white vinyl on a colored wall!!
Oh well
...Most come in 16 color choices and 3 metallic choices. If something's available in black only, for example, the listing is required to say "black only" etc. Remember to specify matte or gloss. The one I have is gloss (pic below, the purple squiggles)(also, next to it, are 2 original oil(?) pieces by my cousin Dan)

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 46" and 55" LCD flat panels decorating my walls

I used to have five framed menus from restaurants in Atlantic City, NJ and that area, that hubby bought me for my birthday last year
Two fell down using that no-mark adhesive stuff. So we'll probably just put real picture hangers up. We also have a bunch of pictures to hang that we've bought over the last few years but need to get them framed. Nothing else really on our walls except white paint.

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have literally no decor on my walls right now, art or otherwise. This is mostly because I'm still customizing my space and acquiring more necessary things, like pans. Although I share a house with my mom and stepfather, the house itself is divded into two apartments; I have one and they have the other.

I do have a picture of Chaos to put up, just need a nice frame to put it in. At least I'm finally getting to the point where I can look at pictures of him without crying. Mostly.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a cat calender up, that's it. I have a tile I need to hang up as soon as I figure out how to do so and not have it be at risk for a jumping cat.

I did have a large dragon picture up in the living room but I knocked it off the wall while sweeping.
Luckily the frame had acrylic and not glass in it.
I have some of my other artwork that I finally found the other night that I suppose I could put up and I have an idea for a painting that I really want to do - it would be roughly 5'x3'. So far the problem is that I need to make the canvas and paint it and have safe no cat free zone in which to do so.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Claude Monet replicas (I collect them- he's my favorite artist!), quite a few metal crosses (collect those as well!), and a few different mirrors/etc