Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm taking a brief break from cleaning for my inspection in the morning (actually late night to me...I sleep from 8AM to 4PM), and since such things are on my mind..

Is there a household chore that you actually enjoy doing?

I have to admit, I'm a fool for ironing. I'm not all that fond of all the "stuff" that comes with it...setting up the board, dragging out the spray starch for those few items that need it, heading the iron...I can do without all of that. But the actual act of ironing is almost Zen to me. I find the motions soothing, allowing for some fairly deep meditation, and watching the wrinkles disappear leaving behind a beautiful, smooth surface is just flat satisfying to me! Most household stuff I do because I have to (and some not nearly often enough...I may get a little sign that says "Dust testing in progress. PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB SAMPLES!), but ironing is a joy!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to work in clothing retail, so you'd think I'd be sick of folding clothes, but honestly if I splurge to take my laundry to the laundromat to use the dryer (only a washer in my apartment) I love folding fresh, warm laundry in the ways we had to fold at the store (I've worked at Levi's and Columbia Sportswear). It's very satisfying to see all of those neatly stacked pieces. I also have a habit of "feathering" sleeves and finger spacing hooks if I'm at a random store looking at clothes XD

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Revere ware pots. And when used, after cleaning the pot its copper bottom is polished before they are put away. That said, I have a ginormous tin lined copper stock pot, restaurant kind with spigot at the bottom, which I use very infrequently. It needs polished. But having not used it in a long while I haven't been polishing it. Silver too, it looks so good afterward.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Vacuuming & Dusting...Of course I use a swifter duster so that makes dusting easier...And I like vacuuming cause I know my carpet is clean from the dust & etc for me and my boy Snowball...Sorry I guess I have to pick one...Vacuuming:thumbsup:

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to hate all chores, now I enjoy most of them. I've thought about what caused this reversal in attitude -

1. Having a cat. I used to not care about dust accumulating on the floor or random crap piling up on tables. The day I got Ashton (my first cat) home, I started cleaning the floor a lot more regularly because I didn't want her to inhale them from licking her paws and fur, putting away stuff immediately after use to maintain a clean surface so that she didn't eat anything she's not supposed to. The most dramatic change was making the bed--from never making them to making them every single morning to this day--because she (and my other cats after her) all like to lounge on it and I didn't want fur on my bed sheet. So in summary, having the right motivation, a purpose that works for me.

2. Having the right tools = half of the job is done. My floor cleaning routine used to be very cumbersome: first use the Swiffer to get the big stuff, then use a handheld vacuum to get the finer stuff, then get annoyed at not being able to get the even finer dust between the wood planks and give up. Then I invested in a Dyson and absolutely love it! One round through the home and everything is sucked up good!

3. Making the process more enjoyable. Basically I put on fun music or podcasts when I clean.

4. Increasing the efficiency by minimizing the back-and-forth between two spaces. This is one of the best "hacks" I discovered about cleaning and generally keeping my space clean. Say I'm watching TV and wanting to refill my glass of water; since I'm going to the kitchen anyways, I'm picking up the empty dishes or whatever belongs to the kitchen along the way to the kitchen--even though I don't want to clean them at the moment. That way I don't have to retrieve them from the living room later. Another example is if I'm going from the bedroom to the bathroom and my laundry room is along the way, then I may as well take my dirty clothes from the bedroom with me and drop them off in the laundry room before getting to the bathroom.

Sorry for the long post, but as you can see I've thought about this topic a lot :p

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm... I don't know. There is something satisfying about leaving nice even lines in the carpet from vacuuming. And seeing any bits of whatever disappear. I don't really look forward to it though. Dusting can be ok. It's better with the extendable swiffer. I don't mind folding towels but the rest; eh. Washing windows and mirrors is ok.