Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, man!  My alarm didn't go off to alert me last night, and I ALMOST FORGOT!  SO...

What kind of car do you really really REALLY like??

Sporty?  Sensible?  What make, model, even color?

I'd LOVE a little Smart Car, but I don't think it would be practical.  Same for the Can-Am Spyder (that three wheeled motorcycle with two wheels in front.  I adore both of those.  But, IF I were going to buy a car, something along the lines of a Kia Soul would allow me to haul Hekitty around the country, visiting, and allow me to make one BIG shopping trip a month, with jaunts to pick up fresh stuff inbetween.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love my little Kia Soul. Bought it used when I stopped driving as much and could get out of my Civic. I wasn't specifically wanting a Soul at the time just something other then the Civic. Hated that Civic, I like Honda but sedans just aren't for me. I am a SUV or wagon type person. I think my passengers are more comfortable and have more leg room which is a big thing in a family where 5'8" is considered short. Anyways, love the Soul now and thinking about maybe a newer one next time it is time to change. I love the Honda CR-V too and had two of those many years ago. I don't like the changes to the rear end the last two generations. Seems awkward to me. 

The best description I ever heard of a Smart Car was a ping pong ball bouncing through the streets.
 I think Fiat fit in that same category. I know someone who loved their Fiat but maintenance was a pain because it only takes specific parts and oil. My parents have a Mini Cooper and that is also a maintenance drain. They trade theirs in every time the maintenance plan expires because it just isn't worth it to keep it when they would have to pay for the $300+ oil change out of pocket (you pretty much have to take apart the front end to do it).  

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Believe it or not we've had Hondas since the late 70's.  I'm a loyal fan and not about to change.  However, the last 2 Honda's have been the CRV, just the right size for when we had our dog who occupied the back seat.  Don't know for sure if there will be another dog in our future but if there is the CRV is ready and waiting. 
  Since Carleton is in a carrier it works for him too.
If I was really going to splurge I might consider the Acura CRV, also by Honda.

Last edited:

jennifurr

To err is human, to purr is feline
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I co-own a Subaru Impreza. We like the fact that it has many safety features. When my husband got into an accident a few years back (same car model, different color), the car was totaled, but my husband left without a scratch. My husband, in-laws, and I are a Subaru family since then.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For looks I like a big blocky car, like a Dodge Charger :D. But that's not practical.

I've been wanting a small SUV like a Subaru Forester or a Honda CRV but I "stole" my mom's minivan and I find I really like it. With the back seats folded down, you can fit the same amount of stuff in it as a pickup truck, but without the hassle of having everything blowing around in the wind. So maybe I'll get a minivan instead. Although all-wheel-drive would be nice. . .there is one minivan with all-wheel-drive.

I generally go for Hondas or Toyotas. Every Ford my family has had needed transmission work early on. Hondas seem to last longer. I'd like to try a Subaru, everybody seems to like them.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't drive, but my favorite cars are Mercedes Benz & Jaguar. I like old Benz models - especially convertibles. Also love Bentleys & Rolls Royces.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Toyota Corolla now, have had it for two years.

My car before this one was my dream car, a BMW.  I drove it for a few years until about a year after the warranty ran out.  That got it out of my system.  I traded it in on the car I have now.  I wanted to get rid of it before the repairs started because they are so expensive to get repaired.  I had to buy a battery for it and that was over $400.00.  A four wheel brake job on one runs $2,000.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not big on cars at all.  I mean, I like them especially older vintage types but I get no real joy out of owning/driving one (I have a Nissan Altima).

The only car I ever loved that I actually owned was a Jaguar.  Ok, wait - it wasn't TOP of the line Jag, it was lower range.  My ex and I bought it off the showroom floor. It was already a year old but had like no miles on it. The color was what I can only describe as sort of cream with a pink undertone - it was very unusual. White leather interior and loaded up with all kinds of bells and whistles.  It drove like a dream and although many say they have troubles with this brand we never did.  I truly enjoyed taking it on the road but alas, once I left him I could not afford to even consider keeping it for myself as it was like $600 a month for the payments!

We also had a more current Thunderbird convertible which was really nice also but I rarely drove it as it was just too much car for me; I could barely see over the hood!  But boy did it pack a punch on the road.

My dream car might be a 50's/60's convertible Mustang (I did drive one briefly decades ago that a friend loaned me) or, one of the vintage convertible Corvettes.  Hot red of course!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on my second Honda Accord. I loved my last Accord, and drove it into the ground. This one is a bit larger than the old one. 

I really loved the look of the old CRV's and the old RAV4's. They changed the styling to provide more stabilization on the roads. Those older versions were tipping over on turns. I am not a bit fan of the improved styling. 

I am staying with my car as long as I can. 

I really like the look of the CRZ---new Honda line. kind of like a smaller, sportier CRV...

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dream cat is a Lamborghini Spyder.  Not practical, no way I would ever actually own one; but I can dream!

I drive a Prius, and I LOVE it!  It is now 8 years old, and I still love getting in and driving it, daily.   I have a Gen II (Second Generation).  I think they messed up a few things when they moved forward to the 3rd Generation, although they did improve a few.  So I happen to love the model I have, which is great!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If practicality isn't an issue, I do like some of the Audi two seat convertibles.

I like my Honda CR-V, except it is cursed. :lol3:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

My dream car might be a 50's/60's convertible Mustang (I did drive one briefly decades ago that a friend loaned me) or, one of the vintage convertible Corvettes.  Hot red of course!
We had three Mustangs when we were young. A 1965-1/2, I think it was, a 1971 fastback, and then a 1974 Mustang II. The 1971 fastback was Candy Apple Red with black interior. It was a great car. The best one was the 1965, white with tan interior. The '74 was a POS, which soured us not only on Mustangs, but on Ford products in general. Haven't owned a Ford since. Probably never will either. But that old '65 Mustang was a great car.

My dream car has always been an old Jag convertible. Red, of course. I remember driving into Hershey Lodge for a meeting and a guy was driving out in a maroon Jag convertible. I almost wrecked my car watching him. The car was gorgeous.

Ahem, now on to what I can afford. Well, I still like Clarence, my 2001 PT Cruiser. He's manual, he's red, he's got a moonroof, and he's fun to drive. In the summer, that is. When the snow starts to fly, Clarence goes back under cover. 
 Seriously, I'm OK with him. We use the Tucson (AWD) for winter driving.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We had three Mustangs when we were young. A 1965-1/2, I think it was, a 1971 fastback, and then a 1974 Mustang II. The 1971 fastback was Candy Apple Red with black interior. It was a great car. The best one was the 1965, white with tan interior. The '74 was a POS, which soured us not only on Mustangs, but on Ford products in general. Haven't owned a Ford since. Probably never will either. But that old '65 Mustang was a great car.

My dream car has always been an old Jag convertible. Red, of course. I remember driving into Hershey Lodge for a meeting and a guy was driving out in a maroon Jag convertible. I almost wrecked my car watching him. The car was gorgeous.

Ahem, now on to what I can afford. Well, I still like Clarence, my 2001 PT Cruiser. He's manual, he's red, he's got a moonroof, and he's fun to drive. In the summer, that is. When the snow starts to fly, Clarence goes back under cover. 
 Seriously, I'm OK with him. We use the Tucson (AWD) for winter driving.
Tom is dying for a PT Cruiser. Unfortunately, he has no license LOL

I did look at them recently because I'm debating about getting rid of the Altima. It's in great condition for it's age (2009) but starting to get a bit creaky in places.  The Cruisers are pretty nice when loaded up but since I'm not a car fan and hardly drive to begin with (I mean like to the train station and grocery shopping is my usual - we don't do many road trips) it seems wasteful financially.  

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've owned about every car made, right now the best ride, comfort and quietness we have ever had in a vehicle is the 2016 Ford 150 we got last year, Absolutely LOVE it. It's a beautiful blue with beautiful chrome wheels and is loaded with heated seats, auto start, auto trailer back up, and a back seat you could sleep in, it's huge. If I had all the money in the world I would love to have a new Ford Lincoln, one of those smaller sporty ones, I saw one on TV with reclining back seats, a tiny fridge fror drinks, and a lap top that popped up in the back, I'd just stay back there and let Bob drive!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Tom is dying for a PT Cruiser. Unfortunately, he has no license LOL

I did look at them recently because I'm debating about getting rid of the Altima. It's in great condition for it's age (2009) but starting to get a bit creaky in places.  The Cruisers are pretty nice when loaded up but since I'm not a car fan and hardly drive to begin with (I mean like to the train station and grocery shopping is my usual - we don't do many road trips) it seems wasteful financially.  
You can fit anything into a PT. Seriously, it's amazing the stuff you can fit into that car. I love going for groceries in it because of the little "table" in the back end. You can put bags on top of the table and underneath. Put the back seats down or pull the back seats out. You can fit a ton  of stuff in that car. 

It's short and round and it's perfect for tooling around town. It just is. It could be better on gas mileage, considering it's a 4-cyclinder.

When we went to Iowa and then up into Minnesota, we took Rick's mother with us. She was in the back seat and she said it was probably the most comfortable car she had ever ridden in. When she sat up front, she said she could see everywhere and she was very comfortable. It's manual, so driving through Chicago was a bit of a challenge, but we managed. We drove it to South Carolina several times. The car has never let me sit. Anywhere. I can't say that about other cars (like the aforementioned Mustang II in my post further up the thread). He has always gotten me every place I needed to go. Even now.

I know that Chrysler brought the PT out, thinking that kids would really like it. And not realizing that adults would love it (which took it away from the kids....who wants to drive something that your parents drive?). When it first came out, I thought it was ugly. Then it was, "You know, it's different." Then, "OMG, I want one so baaaaad!" I've never regretted buying Clarence. Never.

But they're not good in snow. Oh, I suppose that had we actually bought snow tires, he would be better. But he slides on wet roads sometimes; it's because the Cruiser is a very light car weight-wise. I never drive him much once the snow starts to fly.

He's getting a new paint job this summer. I had been playing around with new paint for him now for the last couple of years, trying to justify it. And I can't; there's no justification whatsoever. There's no way that I'm going to get the money out of a new paint job when I sell him. It's simply not going to happen. That being said, I decided that I was going for it anyway and started looking around. I don't plan on selling the Cruiser anyway, so it is what it is. (It's kinda like a Question of the Day where the question is: If somebody gave you $1,000, what would you do with it? Well, Clarence is getting new paint.)

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
cars.. I have always loved cars, trucks, bikes, whatever. If it has wheels and an engine it's all good in my book! Even as a kid I always loved car shows and riding in cars. My dad took me out on his 1000 cc Suzuki motorcycle at 13 and I was addicted...he did wheelies with them and raced and I was in the back yelling faster! More! And the big secret was "Don't tell MOM!" So lots of memories. He taught me how to drive even though I drove into our barn which my mother declared- "Honey thank you for this! I finally get to have a new door put on the barn!" which my dad was NOT amused...

Ok I have had several different cars. Chevy, Buick, GMC-which is Chevy. I have to say Buick hands down is the best car. I also rode in Jon's Ford crown Vic. NICE CAR! Rode in my friend's 1985 Ford mustang-duel exhaust=5.0l and that car could MOVE.

I did have a chevy Lumina-YUCK, Junky engine, no power,.. just didn't seem like the body fit with the engine. It was one of those two door long sedans. moonroof. Great interior but the motor was much too small for the shape of the car. I bought it as a fill in inbetween cars because I needed something fast as the one  I was driving died..then this one left me stranded on several occasions..of course I bought it used and it was someone I knew...so nope I don't like Chevy cars..yuck.

It's a tough choice between a Buick and Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon. I love my Tahoe but she stinks in the snow. The buick is best for snow. But the Tahoe is great for hauling stuff..

Drove a chevy blazer and Ford Explorer. Both trucks I used for the flea market and Chevy won hands down. The ford is JUNK. They don't handle weight very well and they don't handle as good as a Chevy,.- my sister let me borrow her Explorer-actually it's a long story. needless to say I gave it back to her because it had too many problems. I prefer Chevy trucks over Ford trucks.

Now some ford cars are not bad. My coworker has a Ford Fiesta stocked for racing...now that little hatchback is a screamer...he's cranked it on curvy roads and it's a blast. He races it at Louden speedway in the summer..so I was looking into one of those..until the reviews had too many transmission problems after 40,000 miiles...so I decided nope I don't want that headache.

Jon had several Crown Vics that he let me use. And you know It's a hard choice between the crown Vic and Cadillac. My prior relationship he had a 1987 Blue four door caddy and man I LOVED that car. Those two cars are very nice. It's like driving a couch down the road. Very comfy. Never left me stranded. So it's a tough call.

Now my first car was a Chevy Citation-they don't make these anymore..blue four door hatchback 2.8l V6. And it was a good little car but then I got a buick LeSabre that was white with maroon clothe interior. It was one of my favorite cars. It was easy to drive-quiet. Comfortable. I then had the ugly Skylark. not bad. Then a 91 Regal silver color with dark red leather interior. NICE car! Was my dads! They couldn't use it for tradeins because the odometer was messed up. Who knows how many miles it had. I was sad to sell it but it was time to send it on it's way.  I chirped those tires on that 3.8L V6 engine on occasion! LOL. It was fun!

I think if I could I would buy an older Buick, I don't care for the newer cars with the extra stuff on them. When I look at a vehicle I look to see how much of a pain in the butt it's going to be to do the oil change, or reach the battery etc. The Chevys are not worker friendly=many times I shredded my knuckles changing spark plugs etc. I guess they all are like this now. My Buick Regal had a problem with the electronic ignition module and when it dies=you are STRANDED. not like a dead battery where you can at least jump start it to get to where you need to go..that's my only complaint about Buick...hopefully they have improved their electronics..

so Buick Lesabre/Regal is what I would get.

The BEST part was snow! These Buicks never ran off the road or fishtailed in the snow.

And I am still torn between the Tahoe and the Lesabre.  Can I get both? LOL. One for winter driving, One for summer driving.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are a Subaru family here.  I love my car!  It's comfortable for all of us and drives well too.  I don't see me wanting anything else.  The only reason DH  wants something bigger is to eventually haul a decent size camper (large enough to have a bathroom so he can convince me to go. 
).  It would be nice once or twice a year to have a truck for garden stuff too.  I probably fill up my Outback 2-3 times in the spring with loads of soil and plants.  

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really like the Kia Soul Hatchback. it's compact enough, yet has enough room, and you've got the cargo area in the back -- not huge, but i can't imagine needing more than that really.