Question of the Day, Wednesday June 15, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :coolcat: While watching the news this morning I heard there is an extermination company in North Carolina that is offering $2,000 to test a new pest control technique in 5 - 7 homes. They want to release 100 cockroaches into your home for a period of up to 30 days. The study is designed to be a DIY treatment that is safe for family and pets.
Want 100 cockroaches in your home? N.C. company will pay you as it tests a new pest control method

QUESTION OF THE DAY - WOULD YOU APPLY FOR THIS TREATMENT STUDY?

Even though I could use $2,000 I don't think I'd be willing to offer my home as a test subject. Cockroaches creep me out. Maybe I'd consider it if there were a few more zeros after the 2. 😉

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they offered more money, sure! But $2,000 doesn't seem enough to have to deal with 100+ cockroaches and their babies in your home for 30 days and respective treatment. That's much less than what I get paid from work per month. I'm sure there are factors to consider as part of the application process too, like the type of house you have, where you live, proximity of neighbors, food storage, pets etc

If it was boosted to let's say, $5,000-$10,000 at the least, then my interest could rise. I'm all for proper testing for the improvement and safety of products and quality of life, but it would be nice to have an reasonably even set of compensation as well.

But then again the article did say they received 2,200 applications - So to one's own! lol Kudos to those folks.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is a study, which means there is no guarantee that it will work. Studies show that various theories fail on a regular basis.

I wonder what the actual agreement contract stipulates. Do they have to get the cockroaches out once their product does not work? Do they pay for Orkin to come and do it for you?