Question of the day, Wednesday June 10

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I hope everyone has a good Wednesday :)

For those of you who have other pets, does your cat/do your cats ignore them or love them?

My Poppycat was initially somewhat curious in the betta fish, but that lasted only a week or two. Now if he happens to see one of them swimming he's interested in the movement, but he just watches from the floor for a few moments and then moves on :fish:.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola doesn't like any of the pets. :sigh: She's getting along better with Rosie, the Golden Retriever. When we got her a year ago, Lola hid in a room for a few days. But now Lola will avoid Rosie as much as possible. If their paths do cross, Lola will sniff Rosie and sometimes swat her if Rosie gets a little rough (Rosie tries to play with Lola). We tried introducing Lola to the rabbit, Victoria, since she's closer to Lola's size. Nope. Lola was terrified of her.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lelia was in love with the class turtle after I rescued it from school shut down in the old apartment. Since we've moved to the new house, Lelia's ignored Myrtle a lot more, so if the new teacher who comes in the fall wants her back, Lelia will be fine, I think.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does Harrison (the raccoon) count? He thinks he's a pet and sometimes he thinks he's a cat lol
I vote yes. He does. :)

We had a dog who passed away a couple of years ago. She and the cats coexisted but weren't friends or enemies. They just didn't really deal with each other. The dog sure knew that Lilith was the alpha of the house though. The poor girl was relaxing in the living room one day just minding her business when Lilith decided to go into my room for a nap. As she was walking past the dog, she stopped, slapped her face and kept going. The dog was so confused. Lilith is a little under 5 pounds and the dog was about 45 so her "slap" was more like a tap. :lol:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats loved my tarantula, Oona, but she recently died. She ignored the cats. They like to watch our two tanks with fish, although they ignore the tank with cherry shrimp. They particularly like my goldfish tank! Xiomara and Saoirse are on a lower table them Hanzo and "Them" (my danios), so they are easier to see. Saoirse usually ignores them. Xiomara, on the other hand, loves attention, even if it is from the cats.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the only other pet in the house, Door Dog. He is a working dog, responsible for keeping the basement door from shutting so that Willow cant get down to her litterbox. I think he has been with us for maybe 20 years.

He was probably someone’s school pottery project before being put up for adoption at their school‘s craft fair. He used to have more to his ears but he regularly suffers abuse and lost them. He also suffered a serious leg injury in a fall down the steps. I might have been responsible, and I regret that.

EFCD3B3F-85B6-4194-A96C-B1B9AB27D4B3.jpeg

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No other pets here. We had a small fish tank with neons when Mooch and Noodles were kittens. They loved watching it but I had to keep the filter duct-taped to the back of it. And the lid taped on. :lol: Mooch does watch the birds and squirrels out in our backyard sometimes but they don't really get her riled up or anything. She just watches.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only other pets are my dogs...I have a long coat dapple doxie named Otter,a mini double dapple named Olivia and Olana...we're just not sure what breed she is,and it doesn't really matter.I got Otter from a gal I worked with at WalMart...she owned his mama...and he just turned 13.Olivia was a dump alongside the road and a lady I know picked her up and took her to our vet,who called me.She is deaf and blind in one eye.Olana was a dump off too and I got her from a friend who couldn't keep her.Otter adores his kitties...he's usually under a pile of them,or has them down on the floor giving someone a bath.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi likes my neighbor's pomeranian puppy who comes to visit. He barks his head off at him, but Demi just stays in the window and tries to make friends with him.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Just the furkids here. When we first brought The Beast (Jackie, the beagle) home, they were kind of used to her because Rick's parents would bring her along when they visited. But visiting the furkids is a lot different than living with the furkids! For the first couple of months, Muffin wanted to be fed her meals in the computer room because she didn't like The Beast; I did it for a while, then told her she was being silly and she finally started coming to the kitchen. The other cats really didn't have a problem; we have pictures of Boo drinking out of the water dish at the same time The Beast did....side by side. We have pictures of Tabby and Jackie lying side by side on the kitchen floor. When it was time for breakfast, the cats would actually run right under her or leap over her because she was in their way to the kitchen. Boo would walk over to Jackie, rub her face with his head and then walk away.

The only one who really didn't get along with her was Mollipop. Those two were always at odds. Mollipop rules the house and Jackie wasn't amused by that at all.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a betta named Yul for a couple of years. When I first brought him home, the girls were very interested in him in a he-looks-yummy kind of way. But because he didn’t respond and just hung there staring at them, they quickly grew bored. Yul would take food from my fingers, so I had to keep an eye out when I fed him, but otherwise they all co-existed peacefully.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry – a long post.

Our first pet in Germany was a budgerigar which landed on our balcony at the beginning of the school summer holidays just before we were getting ready to move to our new house. (Not relevant here, but it later turned out that a junior school mistress and her family were going on holiday and simply let the bird fly away!). We bought a bird cage and another bird to keep her company and eventually moved home.

The new house had become home to a few mice, so we eventually bought a cat. Not a good idea as the birds and cat and later the stray cats had to be kept apart. One “stray” kitten had been thrown into a cellar shaft, the others just turned up. When I found a baby rabbit (no bigger than the palm of my hand) in the same cellar shaft, I thought it was dead so tried to pick it up with a small spade. It jumped into the room and hid behind the old furniture and junk that had collected there.

I phoned the vet. He assured me that baby rabbits can be easily tamed – recommended feeding it with tinned milk from a syringe until it was big enough to eat rabbit food. This “rabbit” loved its milk and got bigger and bigger until we realised it was a hare! Then came Chernobyl! We were not supposed to eat anything grown outside and animals had to be kept indoors. Rambo had to stay a bit longer in captivity. He was certainly not tame. My daughter could pick him up. He had a big room and it was my job to feed him before I went to work.

One day I came home and couldn’t find one of the cats. With great trepidation I went down into the cellar. Everything was very quiet. There was hare-fur and cat-fur everywhere. My heart was in my mouth and then the cat jumped down from a shelf to greet me and the hare hopped out from a cupboard. Neither had any injuries.

The hare eventually found its way into the rest of the house. He could jump onto window ledges. When no-one was watching he mowed down all my house plants (cat friendly so hopefully hare friendly). He never became house-trained but lived in peace with the cats. The cats chased the hare, the hare turned about and chased the cats. By the time the corn in the fields neighbouring our garden was ripe and tall, the dangers from nuclear contamination had diminished (or so they said) and we had no excuse to keep a wild animal captive. We carried Rambo on his bed of hay in a cat litter box with hood, into the garden and left him there. He stayed on the hay till dusk then slowly hopped away and disappeared into the field. We think of him often when the March hares are boxing in the field and hope he had a happy long life. I didn’t know it at the time, but there is a local woman who takes in wild animals, when they need help. She has no success with young hares – although she has large cages outside to keep them in. She asked me what I fed him on etc. I think I was just plain lucky. He was happy running about indoors and maybe the cats kept him fit and amused.

My daughter was heartbroken when he left. So she rescued a rabbit from a local pet shop – when baby rabbits get too big, nobody wants them, so they are killed! Easter is the season for baby rabbits (and baby chicks) when it’s over those not sold are killed. Fortunately, there was only one left over so we picked him up on Easter Sunday). This rabbit lived with cats, moved house three times and died of old age. OK – I would never take on just one rabbit, but it was my daughter’s (and later her husband’s) pet and their decision.

We’ve also had chinchillas running about with cats, acting in a similar fashion to Rambo. I don’t approve of keeping chinchillas in cages, but they nibble everything! These were rescued from someone keeping them for their fur. There is now only one left – poor thing – but, just as there had to be one last old budgie, there is now the one last old chinchilla who will have to spend his last years being well looked after but sadly on his own.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone has a good Wednesday :)

For those of you who have other pets, does your cat/do your cats ignore them or love them?

My Poppycat was initially somewhat curious in the betta fish, but that lasted only a week or two. Now if he happens to see one of them swimming he's interested in the movement, but he just watches from the floor for a few moments and then moves on :fish:.
Furballsmom Furballsmom My Sweet Jane Flash ignores the cockatiels in the house. I also think she loves them. 🌺 :silver: 🕊 🌻🦉🥀