Question Of The Day, Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going for the obvious one here, but because we truly are a global site, there are two questions. One for our American members, and one for our global members.

For the American members: How did you celebrate the 4th of July, if you did?

For the global members: Does your country have a similar holiday that celebrates national pride, and was there a single event that inspired it, like our signing of the Declaration of Independence?

I celebrated very minimally, although I did go out on the front porch to watch the city's fireworks display. I then came in and calmed Hekitty down again. I wasn't much looking forward to all the neighborhood idiots firing off stuff all night long, but about 20 minutes after the city display was over, a moderately heavy rain started. It's just slowing down, so most of the rowdies have trundled off to bed already.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
As an American living in Germany, can I answer both? How's that for global?

There are several 4th of July celebrations for ex-pats in the large city I live near, but we haven't bothered going since I stopped working in the city.

The German equivalent of Independence Day is German Unity Day on October 3rd. It commemorates the formal reunification of the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) in 1990.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saint Patrick’s Day! – Saint Patrick’s Day is the traditional death date of Saint Patrick (one of Ireland’s patron saints). To be honest, though, I used to celebrate it more as a child/teenager – it used to be a big family outing when I was young to go in to the city centre for the parade. There are other cool events generally organised also that I used to especially go to as a teenager – but don’t think I have gone to many really since I was younger. I used to really enjoy it all but now that I’m an adult the thoughts of it! – the traffic, the drinking, the crowds…

Then we don’t, as such, “celebrate” our independence that I can think of – but we usually commemorate the 1916 Easter Rising which was when the Irish Volunteers, or “rebels”, revolted against British rule in Ireland and began the events that led to our Republic as we know it now (we became a republic in 1949). Its centenary was last year where many events were organised to mark it; dramas, exhibitions, concerts, lectures…

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't do anything this year, other than relax at home.
The past couple of weeks have been very busy and we got together with family on Sunday instead. Both sisters live down at the NJ shore area and there was no way I'd drive down on a holiday. Anyone who has gotten stuck in traffic on the Garden State Parkway in summer can understand! Sunday was no picnic either but certainly better for traffic.
Lots of fireworks go off close to our home and we can see them pretty well especially if out on our 2nd floor balcony. We barely looked last night, were caught up watching a movie on TV (that we'd seen a dozen times before but whatever LOL).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We went over to my sister's as their community has a very nice fireworks display. We grab our chairs, flop them down on the front porch and watch from there. Best seat in town.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I'm from England originally and we have St George's Day. I don't know when that is but I do know it was the day when George killed the Dragon, so that all of us lovely English maidens could go about our business unmolested.

Thank you George!

I live in Japan now. There is a Japan Foundation Day sometime in February. I don't know exactly what happened then, but I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with a dragon.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a semi-quiet days... night before the 4th was a huge fireworks celebration on the beach. I can see the display from my balcony, but chose not to sit outside. That day, I sat outside and read.

Yesterday, was peaceful and quiet during the day. The fireworks continued last night, with me staying indoors to watch the Boston Pops concert. I ended up going to bed at 10pm.. thankfully the fireworks ended at 11pm

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Normally I would be attending several Independence Day events; it is one of my favorite holidays!

This year I am still recovering from a total hip replacement; not driving. I did watch the Boston Pops at the Esplanade, and Capitol 4th on TV. I've watched both for many years, so that's tradition for me. I

I lived in Boston for 5 years, friends and I would go to the Esplanade for most of the summer concerts, and also for the 4th. It has changed so much now, with security, limits on what you can bring, checkpoints, and such. And I read you can't take bikes in past the checkpoints, to reach the Oval and the Lagoon. We always had at least one bike with us; made it easier to find our group if 2 of us ventured off in search of food, bathroom, etc. Makes me sad that today's young people (I'm talking 20's and 30's) don't know the freedom we had at their age.

I also held a small dog July 4th gathering for 6 years when I lived in RI. Decorations in my back yard, everyone brought some food, and we had a lovely time. People would get creative making their 'dish' with red white and blue toppings! I hope to do that here once I meet more small dogs (and their owners, lol).

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The boyfriend & I have both been feeling overwhelmed at work, so we spent the entire day relaxing. Went to the grocery store, had a good breakfast, cleaned some, painted some, rode bikes to DQ, watched a movie, and then spent the entire night trying to calm our small dog, who was busy vomiting in our bed out of anxiety. Happy National Scaring Dogs Day! :p

I've never been a fan of fireworks displays (they look the same every year???), and there's nothing less fun to me than a bunch of loud noise, bright lights, loose children, and people who have been throwing back beers since noon. Please, let me go to sleep at 9 p.m. in peace. I am a grouchy old lady at heart. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We were invited to a close friend who lives in our neighborhood for a bbq. Good thing because the neighbors directly behind us were having a lot of company, as they always do, and make a lot of noise. :mad: By the time we came home fireworks had started and we sat with Carleton in the one bedroom where we can watch them from the window. With the exception of one loud boom which sent him running he was mildly intrigued.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canada Day (July 1) and Finnish Independence Day (December 6)

Canada Day, the anniversary of the confederation. I worked that day, but I dressed up in the colours. There are also festivals, festivals and concerts, and when able would attend those.

Although side vent, I was watching international news, and the anchor called Canada Day "Canada's Independence Day" :headshake::headshake::headshake: Huge mistake. Altogether coverage was really bad and misinformed, but I digress. Although no wonder people still sometimes have no idea about Canada...

As I am half Finnish, my family also celebrates Independence Day - when Finland declared their independence from Russia in 1917. Russia would then invade Finland some years after. Of course, a really meaningful day! Sometimes a somber element, but also very lively with festivities, special services and traditions.

As my mom is Irish, and it was also important to her father (My grandpapa) the anniversary of the Easter Rising is valued.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I participated in a 4th of July 5k in a little town near us and then went to watch the grandson's baseball 'All-Star' game.

Lots of people dressed in red, white, and blue at both events.

IMG_0977.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We went to a local 4th of July party at the cemetery. Which sounds completely morbid but it is a 200 year old cemetery that contains a lot of the local notable historical figures. Since it is a private cemetery and there have only been a handful of burials in the last 30 years it had fallen in disrepair. In the last 15 years they have cleaned it up and taken better care of it through fundraisers like the 4th celebration, movie nights and tours of the cemetery. The cemetery itself is about a mile from the local hill/mountain where fireworks are shot from so it is a perfect viewing spot. They had bounce houses, face painting, balloon animals, and vendors. We had a really good time.

Screenshot_20170705-114331.png

Fireworks though.... I worked at Disneyland for 5 years. I did crowd control feet from the castle one Halloween season. Which means nightly fireworks for 3 months, 5 days a week. I had the full 360 degree immersive experience with choreographed music and other effects. Fireworks from a mountain a mile away with the star spangled banner on a radio just doesn't have the wow factor for me anymore. Jaded.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The usual: go to work then go home and enjoy the rest of the day with the cats.

I watch the Pops concert online via live stream. I didn't think it was all that great this year :dunno: Bloomberg didn't show the flyover :angrywoman: and there was constant glitches in the live stream. I didn't care for the two Bloomberg anchors who were hosting. I think a lot of people were unaware that the concert was broadcast on Bloomberg's cable channel and not the local news station as in past years. I heard some people talking about it on the bus this morning.

Around 9pm the next town over started their fireworks. It's only about a mile and a half way from where I live. The front of the building has a great view of the fireworks:D I'm on the side so I don't get a view and I was too lazy to go outside. Leroy wasn't fazed by the super loud booms (made even louder by the way sound bounces off between my building and the two next door) but Emma was skittish and wouldn't eat her bedtime snack.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I agree; it was not publicized that the Pops would not be on the local channel. I assumed, as I am sure a lot of others, that it would be. It was just by chance, that WBZ mentioned it would not be carrying the concert.

I was a bit bored by it, and almost fell asleep. As it was, I was in bed before they showed the fireworks, on the esplanade.

I did not notice any glitches in streaming on cable TV, however they really short changed the jet flyover. The cut from the commercial showed them passing directly overhead of the esplanade, without any explanation as to what they were. That was disappointing.. but I did hear the jets from my apartment when they were near. I am on a flight path and so close to Logan.

The announcers were just, ok... nothing exceptional, and certainly not knowledgeable about the history of the concert or familiar with the Boston area.

I wish they had better performers, dealing with more patriotic songs, rather than promoting their 'hits'....but you cannot please everyone.
I felt as if this year the program was showcasing the performers and not the Pops...

I am old enough that I can remember Arthur Fielder, and his POPS concerts. Now, those were awesome... predictable, but awesome.

just my opinion...

VictoriaLV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family (which included my parents, two sisters and their three kids, and a brother-in-law) had a big meal at my house. When it started getting dark my dad set off some small fireworks, and then we watched some of the bigger fireworks that were taking place a few blocks away. I'm normally not a big fan of loud noises, but it was still enjoyable.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I went over a coworkers house to go 4wheelin. They had a pool party and cook out-everyone was happy. We ate, drank, shoot fireworks, ride on the sidebyside and just relax. It's beautiful up in Maine where he lives-2.5 mile trail behind the house=and just a nice change. He let me drive us back to the house-which I loved. He set up a huge display and shot off tons of fireworks-we did it safely=brought my hardhat/gloves/glasses etc etc. Hose nearby. Bolted down the bigger ones to the platform and next year going to buy that apparatice that you fuse everything on to so you don't have to light each fuse-it will go in whatever order you set it up-so that's next years plan. I normally don't go to fireworks-smoking people irritate me, kids running screaming being a pain and just the traffic, parking, finding a place to pee without dealing with crowds in line waiting-it never used to be like this-I guess we just knew where to drive and watch from our cars. I watched the fireworks in Boston on TV and I was very impressed. They had 5 separate ships shooting off fireworks-I didn't watch the concert or anything-just the fireworks n I was very impressed. We have people shooting them off next door and the cats don't even care. People target shoot over in the next hilly field so they are used to gunshots. They woke up when it first went off then went back to sleep. I love fireworks. I love the booms and colors.

Oh and Took my dad back to my friends and drove him out onto the trails on the sidebyside-got stuck and laughed and had fun-it was good to be with my dad-I do miss him as I work so much I don't get time to see him as much but I am trying to see him every 2 weeks now.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here in Wales we celebrate St David's Day on 1st March. St David was the bishop of Mynyw who was born 500ad and died 1st March 589ad. We wear daffodils or leeks (normally males) on that day