Question Of The Day - Wednesday, July 30th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

We had a 'cracker-jack' storm last night! The lightning & thunder were coming at the same time, very high winds, and of course....lots and lots of rain! When we have storms like this, I always expect the huge spruce tree in my back yard to either get struck by lightning, or to lose the top because of the wind! Naturally, neither happened!

The Question Of The Day....

When you have huge lightning/thunder storms, do you unplug your delicate electical equipment (like your computer?)

I do when I'm home, or before work, when the weather station sounds like it might be a bad one. I did have a computer struck by lightning a couple of years ago, and my homeowners insurance replaced it. Even so...I'd rather not experience it again. I unplugged my computer at 4:02 am this morning, and went out in the sunporch to watch the storm for a bit, before I went back to bed!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do!!

I unplug the tv in the kitchen, the laptop too. I haven't been using the desktop only once a month so the power bar has been unplugged. I don't take a chance!!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never. They're all plugged in to surge protectors and covered under warranties. It would take too much time to unplug everything in this apartment. There are way too many wires and cords. Sometimes I will turn the desktop computer off, but that's only sometimes.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do! My boyfriends 46" TV got struck when we were in the college apartments. His TV was fixed, but it never worked the same again. It wasn't even 2 years old before it went totally dead.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not always do it by lazy motives...
furthermore sometimes the rain fall when we aren´t at home....
BUT I should to unplug before I go out....
...I know, I know Is too bad....

great question my friend!...

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunder? Lightening?? What are these stranges words appearing before my eyes??

Psh, last time we had a storm with thunder and lightening that was actually over head, I think I was about 9 years old. You know, about 20 years ago!
So, I have no idea if we did or not. I certainly didn't!

If one were to come by now? Hmm... Most of the electronics in my house are hubby's, so hopefully he knows how to take care of them! But, I doubt either of us would, simply because such things never happen and if it did, I think unplugging everything in the house would be the last thing on our minds! Plus, we use surge protectors for everything. I never thought how they would handle lightening (do they really help against that???), but since a bunch of people have said "No, because I use surge protectors", I have to hope that it'd help us if the impossible were to happen!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have surger protectors as well so most of the things i do not unplug during storms. My lap top however i do most of the time.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

Never. They're all plugged in to surge protectors and covered under warranties. It would take too much time to unplug everything in this apartment. There are way too many wires and cords. Sometimes I will turn the desktop computer off, but that's only sometimes.
I have surge protectors too. But we get maybe 1 thunderstorm per year in the Bay Area.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do not unplug our stuff when its a bad storm. We have surge protectors on the important stuff. Never really bother to mess with unplugging stuff, storm or not.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nope I hardly ever turn my computer off for any reason. Also, I have so many plugs and most are under or behind the desk out of reach.

I may be sorry someday. It could happen. A couple of years ago the building I live in was hit by lightning. Fortunately the only damage it did was knock out the elevator.