Question Of The Day. Wednesday, January 31, 2018

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't get the flu shot, I am 61 almost 62 so I should start getting it every year. When I was in the military I had to get one every year, it's part of a unit being combat ready. I have had the flu maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. In 1986 I had it turn into pneumonia, I was getting over it when it went into pneumonia which I thought was odd.

For those who don't know if they had the flu or if they have just had bad colds, the telling symptom is a fever. Colds rarely produce a fever, if they do it is very slight. A fever almost always goes with flu and it is usually over 100, the kind of fever that produces chills. Body aches are often part of flu and rarely are part of a cold.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes and yes! When I was married He got the flu and was sick and coughing for almost a month. I was exposed thru him and got sick for 3 days. At work they offer free shots so I get in line NOT LOOKING AT THE NEEDLES. Since my immune system is gone I also have to get a pneumonia shot too. I've been getting the flushot for the last 25yrs.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've never had the flu shot before but this year, I was scared into it like you, margd margd , because it's been so bad here this year. I've had the flu in the past but it was years ago.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not certain if it was the flu, a terrible cold or something from an alien planet, but it was the last time I was sick, and I remember feeling absolutely awful, and the memory of chills and dizziness is frozen in time - sitting on the sofa, watching the Presidential inauguration. I remember my Dad saying that he couldn't believe that the President could have been elected the first time, let alone the second. Dad never liked General Eisenhower.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started getting the flu shot when I retired 8 year ago and have not had the flu since. I did have it about 20 years ago and I had it when I was a kid a few times even thought my mother made sure all of us kids got out shots.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I get the flu shot. They offer it to us at work for free. Yes I have also had the flu but not in a long time thankfully.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have Reynaud's too? I can definitely feel for you. This year my toes have split and I can barely walk. Can't wait until spring when the old skin can peel off and I will have fresh healthy skin on my toes again.
Hope yours gets better soon. Very painful.
thank you! i can empathize with you too. :hugs: in past years i've had the skin on my hands literally crack open, bleeding, and any time they came in contact with water they'd sting/burn. i started using Eucerin's Aquaphor healing ointment on my hands, every day and at night before going to bed -- just massaged it in to the skin on my hands. that stuff got my hands healed, smooth and soft as a baby's behind now. i don't need the ointment often now, but i do lightly coat my hands and face with it before going out into the snow and frigid temperatures -- as a precaution, to protect my skin. it might be worth trying the Aquaphor, to see if that might help your toes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, I've never had a 'flu shot and I don't think I've ever had the 'flu either. I had pleurisy once though. I thought people only got that in Charles Dickens novels, but you can get it in real life too.

:dunno:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you! i can empathize with you too. :hugs: in past years i've had the skin on my hands literally crack open, bleeding, and any time they came in contact with water they'd sting/burn. i started using Eucerin's Aquaphor healing ointment on my hands, every day and at night before going to bed -- just massaged it in to the skin on my hands. that stuff got my hands healed, smooth and soft as a baby's behind now. i don't need the ointment often now, but i do lightly coat my hands and face with it before going out into the snow and frigid temperatures -- as a precaution, to protect my skin. it might be worth trying the Aquaphor, to see if that might help your toes.
I will try that, Thank you. I've been using Bag Balm and it helps quite a bit. Only now that the skin is mostly soft, I can see the ugly horrible purple and red from it. And they are still so swollen they are splitting. It's the main thing I hate about winter. Why oh why did I ever let myself get frostbite.

OK, back to the thread now.
My mom gets a flu shot every year. She get a 24-48 hour virus with flu like symptoms a lot, but not the actual flu. So maybe it does work for elderly people.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
All flu shots used to be preserved with thimerosal, to which I'm very allergic, so I couldn't get the flu shots. My husband would get the shot and I'd get the flu. At least he was able to take care of me. Some strains were virulent, like the Hong Kong flu, which was horrible.

Now they have individual shots without thimerosal so I can get one. They also have megadose shots for seniors. I got one of those once and it flattened me, so I get the regular dose now while my other half gets the big one.

We both got our shots early this year (free with Medicare) but this year's vaccine is only about 10% effective, so we also got the upper-respiratory flu and it was nasty. It hung on for weeks. All of the USA except for Hawaii is in epidemic conditions and they say it's not even half over.

Even if the vaccine isn't very effective this year, please get your shots every year. The flu isn't a couple of sneezes and a cough. Even you don't show symptoms, you could be spreading it to vulnerable people. People die from it. Even healthy people.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I've never had a 'flu shot and I don't think I've ever had the 'flu either. I had pleurisy once though. I thought people only got that in Charles Dickens novels, but you can get it in real life too.

:dunno:
I had pleurisy back in the 70's. It was very painful.