Question Of The Day, Wednesday, January ,10 2018

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I want as much natural light as I can get. I get that makes me a DST person. I don't mind it getting light early in the morning as I'm usually up anyway. There's always a lot to do in the summer time and I take advantage of as much as I can get. (You know, I noticed this morning on my way to work that it was quite light. I know our days are starting to get longer, but boy, it really seemed light today.)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny thing is that your 'real time' is based on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), which is set from the international date line in Greenwich, London, England, and so isn't as real as it might at first appear. Of course, the Chinese run to their own clock and ignore GMT altogether.

There's long been debate in the UK about altering the time zone completely and changing the time to GMT+1 in the summer and GMT+2 in the winter, as England is light enough as it is and they quite fancy the idea of having even lighter evenings. However, Scotland is a different matter and we need the extra hour for the sake of daybreak by 9am in winter, and could manage perfectly well if we just left the clock on GMT the whole year round (or at least, I could). There is a constant muttering over whether to have Scotland and England on different time zones with Scotland clinging onto morning daylight with the skin of our teeth. Or some such thing.

Personally, I prefer dark over light and am perfectly happy for the sun to set at 3pm in the winter. Equally, I rather enjoy it in Highland Scotland in midsummer when the sky turns a beautiful midnight blue and never darkens to black. However, I'm generally more at ease under the cover of winter (and rain). It doesn't really effect me what light is happening at the crack of dawn because I'm not commonly up at that end of the day.

I love it when the clocks go back in autumn as the 'free' hour feels like a wee bonus gift. I also LOVE February 29th for the same reason and view it as a magical free day when anything could, and should, happen. But that's just me. I don't like it when the clock goes forward an hour in spring as having that hour 'stolen' from me takes a few days to adjust. But I guess I like the overall going backwards and forwards in time thing as it's a wee tingle of interest for my being to deal with.

:deer:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't care which way they do it. What I hate it the change two times a year. I have a terrible time getting back to normal after the time changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where I am in the NEastern United States, it never stays light until 10 pm. I never knew it did anywhere. Is this true? I can't even imagine it. :think:
LOL, another Alaska true thing...in mid-summer, one can play golf at 3 AM without the course lights being on. Quite easily. And those golf balls are small. It's VERY light! Mid-winter, on the other hand...well, the picture below is timed photos of the sun from rising to setting mid-winter...all day long...