Question Of The Day, Wednesday, February 21, 2018

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 on the inspection.:)
THANKS! PASSED! I'm exhausted, but trying to catch up here!

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
I Love the picture you posted. It looks like heaven to me! Shade, ferns, rocks, moss, and cool clear water speak to my soul. Don't ask me how I ended up in HOT, HUMID, SANDY Florida.:(
I grew up on Panama City Beach. I left when I could, being heartily sick of walking on sand, chewing on sand, shaking sand out of my clothes, and showering/bathing in sand. I am SO DONE with sand!

I used to love swimming in rivers and lakes. Until I found out that Bull sharks can now swim in rivers and other fresh water places.
Hence my love of mountain streams! Water's too shallow.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lakes and Creeks!

Oceans are both really cool and stunning but also crazy creepy :lol:

The rivers I grew up with were really big, the kind with large transport ships and large suspension bridges, with additional history of visiting sharks, water currents that can suck you away, items and bodies from suicides, so I have less than a romantic ideal of them. Not to mention the underwater junk.

Of course when I see a smaller, prettier river I am fairly decent, but the mindset of all that travelling whatnots still rings in my head. I can canoe or kayak but wouldn't want to swim.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as getting in the water I am another vote for a swimming pool. When I was a kid and a young adult I would swim in either a lake or river. Now that I am 62 and long past the 'nothing is going to happen to me' stage I stick with a swimming pool.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooo fun question! I like lakes or wide streams. I like beach walking; but if we are kayaking I want calm waters without a lot of plant growth. So ponds are out. :lol: It's fun to wade in a stream but I'd rather swim in a pool or a lake.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to love swimming in rivers and lakes. Until I found out that Bull sharks can now swim in rivers and other fresh water places. My bathtub is the only safe place for me now.
Yeah and they have been found pretty far upriver in places where there is brackish water. No thanks. Most lakes here in Florida are off limits anyway because of gators. They are beautiful, majestic creatures but I prefer to admire them from afar. I do love going down by our local power plant in the winter. It's right on the lagoon and the manatee congregate there to enjoy the warmer water and have their calves. They are so special and sweet. :heartshape: I worked in an office on the lagoon a while back and we had huge windows facing it. You could see them from our windows. It was the best. There were SO many of them just relaxing in the warm water. There were gators there too but they never bothered the manatee because there's so much fish to eat.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have been seen as far north as Massachusetts. I think that is unusual though, the summer that the attacks happened in New Jersey was an unusually warm summer. They give birth in rivers and the young stay in fresh water protected from predators. They move out to sea when they are big enough to protect themselves from ocean predators.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Plus, Jaws and I made a pact years ago. I'd stay out of the water and he'd stay off land. It's worked well for us for a long time now. :thumbsup:
:lol: And that's partially why I won't go on a cruise. It's a long way to the bottom of the ocean. And there are sharks in those waters. I am not shark bait. I. AM. NOT.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ocean, hands down! I love how calming and freeing the ocean is and I only have happy memories of it. I also love swimming pools and rivers, however. I went wild swimming in a waterfall in Spain last August and that was an amazing experience.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol: And that's partially why I won't go on a cruise. It's a long way to the bottom of the ocean. And there are sharks in those waters. I am not shark bait. I. AM. NOT.
I won't go on a cruise either. The thought of being stranded out at sea with thousands of strange humans makes me :runaround:

Plus you hear about these boats losing power and the food goes bad, no flushing toilets, people getting sick, etc. NO THANK YOU.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

I would get claustrophobic in a cruise ship room, too. I'm just fine with the open ocean, I am NOT fine with a tiny room with no windows in the bottom of a ship. No thank you! I have a lot of friends who like to go on cruises but it's just not for me. It all sounds terrible, except for the constant eating ;).

I will go swimming in the ocean or a lake or whatever. I don't do it very often but I have no objections. I wear swim shoes so I don't step on something unpleasant. I really hate foot injuries and stepping on slimy things.

I drive a car daily. . .I'm more likely to die or get hurt from that than sharks.