Question of the Day, Wednesday, February 15, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good afternoon & Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :cutecat: Someone told me it's a good idea to change your shampoo and conditioner brand every so often. I usually fall into a habit of buying the same brand over and over. But I had a really good rewards coupon so decided to splurge on a shampoo and conditioner that I heard a lot of good things about especially for my type of hair.

WHAT BRAND OF SHAMPOO DO YOU USE? HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE BRANDS?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using the same brand pretty much since my teens - Prell. I occasionally tried a bottle of different brands but always came back to Prell because it just seemed to do better with my hair and I love the smell. I use an Herbal Essences coconut conditioner. I have used a number of different ones over the years though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I am using Native volumizing shampoo right now. I do change every so often. My hair has thinned out a lot and is very fine so I always use some type of volumizing shampoo. I also keep it fairly short that seems to help with making it appear like it is thicker than it actually is.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently using Garnier Whole Blends and I don't really know how often I change it up. Most of my decisions are based on the ingredients and the price. If a shampoo that fits m criteria is on sale...I'll give it a whirl. I try to stay away from certain silicones and a few other ingredients that are in most shampoos and conditioners because of my hair type as they can cause it to become dry and frizzy over time.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried many over the years. At present I’m using Head and Shoulders Itchy Scalp Care shampoo and Dry Scalp Care conditioner. I was using purple shampoo and blue toner, but they’re too drying.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Herbal Essences. My hair has no special requirements, so I really go by scent.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Aussie Miracle Waves and every once in a while I use a clarifying shampoo to remove product build up. I change from time to time; but this one is doing really well to let my curls come out so I won't be changing unless I find something better.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Most shampoos smell bad to me. Perfumy or musky or some other objectionable odor. I use Alaffia Everyday Coconut shampoo. I like the coconut odor.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally just use whatever is on sale but isn't like bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. Currently I'm using Herbal Essences.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was using a few different brands and my hair was falling out and was really drying out, despite using conditioner. In November I started using boiled flaxseed (gel) with a few drops of rosemary oil. I use that once a week, and in between I do a rice water rinse. My hair is happier this way.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use and have for years tresemme moisturizing shampoo and maybe once a month or so I use Paul Mitchell "the conditioner".It's the only leave in I have found for my hair,and hubby's too,that isn't greasy.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Using matrix right now. Also have half empty bottles of various shampoos. I am extremely inconsistent with what I use. I used to like Aveda and Purology, but then worried about the essential oils because my cat sleeps on my head. I also buy what’s on sale. Tried Oloplex and wasn’t impressed.

My horses shampoo costs way more than mine.

Arya Underfoot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm always looking out for a better shampoo and conditioner. I have thick wavy hair that's damaged from all the colouring I do. At the moment I'm using Sukin but I've found that anything containing shea butter seems to condition my hair well. I like natural ingredients, I did use Lush for a long while but found their conditioners just weren't strong enough for my hair.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I use two brands:
Redken ColorExtend Graydient Shampoo and Conditioner - every third wash, if I use it every wash, my hair will turn purple
Hair Biology Full and Vibrant Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner - the other washes

Rick uses Garnier Sleek and Shiny, simply because that's what was on sale the last time we bought. He doesn't care what he uses; he doesn't have a lot of hair left! He does tend to stick with Garnier.

S silent meowlook I tried Olaplex, too, and wasn't impressed.
MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 Many, many moons ago, Rick and I were standing in line to get into a concert. There was a guy behind us who was higher than a kite. I was using Herbal Essence at the time; back then there was only one kind of HE and it really did smell good. The guy buried his face in my hair. "Herbal Essence, oh my god, I love Herbal Essence!" Rick finally had to tell him to get away from me. "But, but, oh my god, I love Herbal Essence!" "Well that's fine, but not on my wife! Go get your own bottle!" :lol:

Public Service Announcement: IMO, Stay away from WEN, people. Seriously. I tried it. My hair got very dry and started to fall out. To the point where my stylist actually said she'd write a letter for me if I wanted to join the class action suit against WEN. I didn't go there, but stopped using it. Took a long time for my hair to come back. I know it's really popular with people and many people swear by it. But that's what happened to me. YMMV

Last edited: