Question of the Day, Wednesday, December 6, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :dancingblackcat:
My husband went for his six month dental cleaning yesterday. The hygienist recommended he switch to a Sonicare toothbrush for better plaque removal. I use a soft bristle brush called the Nimbus and have been happy with it but I’m thinking about getting a Sonicare. There are three types of toothbrushes:
1) Manual, 2) Electric, 3) Ultrasonic

WHAT TYPE OF TOOTHBRUSH DO YOU USE? HOW OFTEN DO YOU GO TO THE DENTIST TO GET YOUR TEETH CLEANED?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have an OralB. We had the Philips Sonicare, but like the OralB better. A while back, Amazon had a great sale on OralB, so we took advantage.
Dentist every six months.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My insurance pays for me to go every 6 months thankfully, so I do that.

But for my toothbrush I just use the free ones the dentist gives me. :lol: My dad has told me several times I should get an electric toothbrush, but I just don't want to pay for one right now.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use the Oral-B Pro electric toothbrush, don't remember the model though and bought it and replacement heads at Drug Mart. It's my second purchase over the last 10 years and works great.

I also have dental insurance through my employer though I'm retired now and schedule cleaning visits every 6 months with a $5 copay. I also had my semi-annual cleaning done yesterday.

My dentist also advised me again that daily flossing is extremely important for gum health especially as I'm getting older and it reduces gum recession and disease.

Jahpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get my teeth cleaned twice a year and get the fluoride treatment too just because I do drink coffee not every day but most days! I use to have a electric toothbrush when I had braces and that really helped make my teeth white. Now I use a big bristle brush but cant think of the brand name. I try to take care of my teeth because my parents helped pay for my braces and everything for them when I was younger so I was appreciated of my straight teeth! I still get compliments today on my straight teeth so that feels good.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I alternate with periodontal and regular cleanings every 3 months.
I use a combination of brushes; an electric (OralB with sanitizing feature), regular toothbrush that my dentists give me (really good ones!), and some specialty ones also to get into smaller crevices. Depends what part of the house I'm in - the electric is our downstairs bathroom (less likely for cats to get at it). The rest upstairs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cleaning every 4 months and I have used Sonicare for about the last two years.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a manual children’s toothbrush. It fits better in my mouth. Plus: superheroes!! :lol:

DH has bought 2 electric toothbrushes now (dentist recommended, one sold at the dentist’s office) and likes neither.:dunno:

We all go every 6 months.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Electric rotating toothbrush. I get my teeth cleaned once a year. Gums and teeth have had no issues for quite a few years.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby has false teeth and I use a medium bristle oral-b brush as that's what I prefer.Can't tell you the last time I went to the dentist.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use an electric toothbrush. I only started using one a few months ago after the dentist recommended it. I see my dentist every six months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My dentist also advised me again that daily flossing is extremely important for gum health especially as I'm getting older and it reduces gum recession and disease.
Growing up I never flossed my teeth. It wasn't until I got older and started having more serious dental problems that I flossed regularly. Now I wish I had done it when I was younger.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve used a Sonicare for years. I go twice a year for cleaning.