Question Of The Day, Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We made it through the holidays, most of us more or less intact! Well...almost. New Year's Eve and Day are still coming up.

When do you take down your decorations each year? Is there a specific time, or is it just when you are tired of it all?

My tree comes down on New Year's Day afternoon. For no other reason than that is when it always came down when I was growing up. We put the tree up on the day after Thankgiving, and hauled it out on Jan 1. The darned things had practically become family members by then. My dad made some water mixture for the trees, and I never saw one get the least bit dry or shed a single needle! Wish I knew what was in that water!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad made some water mixture for the trees, and I never saw one get the least bit dry or shed a single needle! Wish I knew what was in that water!
I'd like to know that, as well.

I have a theory about Seasonal Affective Disorder, AKA SAD. I think it isn't just the light we miss, it's also the color, so it's no surprise that we put up bright and colorful decorations to get us through the winter solstice. All of which is to say that I leave my Christmas decorations up as long as I can get away with. (Of course, it helps that we don't use living trees, which tend to get all dry and turn into fire hazards.) I think the absolute latest I've ever taken down my Christmas decorations was Easter. :bunny:

Margret

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The UK tradition is that the decorations come down on January 6th, and that's what we've always done. Our decorations always go up pretty late, too - usually mid December (mostly because dad's birthday is the 3rd, and we like to give a bit of separation between that and Christmas).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine usually go up right after Thanksgiving and come down right on or after New Years. That way I can clean again and feel I'm starting the New Year right. I clean around them but am always amazed how much cat hair and dust gets under everything.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We used to take it all down on New Year's Day. It will probably be the following weekend. The Winterberry dishes will all remain in the kitchen until Presidents' Day or thereabouts; I'll put them away and get the Fiesta out.

As much as I love seeing our decorated house, I'm kind of glad when it all comes down and things can get back to whatever passes for normal around here.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom , You can sure send it here! We are so desperate for moisture I'll take it any way I can. We've had highs in the single digits and teens, and only one little snow, on Christmas! I feel so sorry for my outside cats, especially the little feral kitten who does use a heated hut but bolts from it everytime he hears the door open! At least he has food.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not have a tree to take down; however, I am getting tired of looking at the huge, pretty red & gold Bows which are all over the place.. and the red table cloth is looking a bit sad to me... along with the red candles and musical gingerbread house. and the red scatter rugs...

The Evergreen springs do look nice on the walls.

Think I will take things down one at a time.. lots of washing of rugs, tablecloth, etc to do before I put them away.. I will probably start this week-end....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the absolute latest I've ever taken down my Christmas decorations was Easter. :bunny:
I have a friend in Alaska who leaves a tree up year round, with the decorations changing with the holidays. It's pretty, but I'd go nuts trying to keep the dust and cat hair down!

although, if I could get rid of the snow......I'd be very, very happy!! :D
You may send it to me with my blessings!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
although, if I could get rid of the snow......I'd be very, very happy!! :D
You may send it to me with my blessings!
Much as I love Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , if you can figure out how to do that you should send it to the firefighters in southern California.

I saw on the news last night that we've gotten enough recent snow in the mountains that there is severe avalanche danger in the back country. Hard on people who want to be in the back country in winter, but for the rest of us that's water for next summer. If we get enough of it, that's water we can send downstream to California next summer. :crossfingers:

Margret

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually take them down new years day. If I have paper snowflakes taped to the windows I'll sometimes leave those up a bit longer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will take down the tree sometime this weekend. I put it up shortly after Thanksgiving and I am ready for it to come down.

There was a restaurant in the area where I used to live that left a Christmas tree up all year and they decorated it for the next holiday whatever that holiday is.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a restaurant in the area where I used to live that left a Christmas tree up all year and they decorated it for the next holiday whatever that holiday is.[/QUOTE]

When my Dad was with me, he did not want me to take down the tree and lights. So, I kept it up with lights and did a St. Valentine tree. He passed shortly after and I could not bear to take it down for months and months.

This year, I have the mini snow-globe tree that I will keep up another month for the pretty lights! When it is time to put it away, it may take a whole of five minutes. :lol: I also have out decorative cozy-looking houses that hold a candle and the light shines through the "windows". I keep that up awhile. :)

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We never take down our Christmas decoraciones before the 6th of January, that would be very rude to poor Three Wise Men ;)
Everything goes back to their boxes until following Christmas the next weekend, as during the week no one is in the mood for wasting our little rest time on taking down ornaments.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never before January 6th here either. I used to be very slow about taking everything down; but I have a kid with a January birthday now so that just doesn't work. Christmas and cartoon character decorations just don't mix well. :p Although right now it's so cold out and I'm having to park outside because the garage is full of the totes and boxes for all my Christmas decorations that I'm thinking I might get motivated a bit early this year. :lol: