Question of the Day, Wednesday, December 25th, 2019

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have side dishes to make and bring to my sisters but my main job is to get my mom to and from my sister’s without a fall or event. Lots of noise, nieces, nephews and grand nieces and nephews at the party and then the big job of getting mom and her humongous pile of gifts back home safely. The blessing this year is that temps are above freezing and sidewalks are clear which makes it so much easier. And by 4:00 it is all over and I can relax in the peace and quiet of home.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I cheat. We moved into a cottage in a large retirement community in October, so I don’t have to cook a main meal anymore; we get one meal a day as part of our monthly fee. They go all out on holidays (actually, the food is incredible pretty much every day and there are four “restaurants” to choose from). Today is a brunch so we walked for 40 minutes on the treadmill before we go off to eat ourselves into a food coma. :)
03716D85-4F72-491F-91B9-8665D8AE4767.jpeg

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We normally have Christmas with DH's family anywhere from the day after Thankgiving to 12/28 this year (only twice did we have it on the 25th), so I usually don't make a fuss over 12/25, as we are alone then. And, today, I'm fighting a cold that's been around since over a week ago, or maybe it's a sinus infection (?).We always have Christmas with Dh's fmaily at our house, with me cooking everything. My family hasn't spoken to me for 15 years, so nothing with them. We're celebrating Christmas on the 28th this year. On the 25th, our tradition is that we go to feed the ferals their Christmas treat: I roast a turkey for them, with gravy, saving some for our cats for dinner. After feeding the ferals, we go for breakfast at a local diner, where in the 1950's, my paternal aunt worked as a waitress, and make a toast to Aunt Hilda (she died tragically in the 1950's, having been left to die in a diabetic coma by her married-with-kids-to-someone-else boyfriend, who panicked and didn't want to be found with her in a cheap hotel room).

I've been cooking stuff for the 28th, and will do baking tomorrow (gifts, spotted dick pudidng, 2 pies and brownies for dessert). We're having 19 people, and I get to cook it all myself! :insertevillaugh:

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I went to my brother's and we had appetizers (I brought a few) and a buffet of ham, beans, meatballs, mashed potatoes, ribs and sirloin tips. There we SO many desserts, of which I also brought a few.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm looking forward to the bubble and squeak after a couple of days.
I don't suppose you'd share that recipe? I've actually gotten quite good at Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick, and ****-a-Leekie Soup. I'd love to try my hand at Bubble and Squeak.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't suppose you'd share that recipe? I've actually gotten quite good at Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick, and ****-a-Leekie Soup. I'd love to try my hand at Bubble and Squeak.
It's basically the leftovers from a roast turkey dinner all chopped up together and cooked in a frying pan. There's no skill involved and it's delicious
So, in our case it was turkey, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, carrots, swede, stuffing, pigs in blankets. Anything compatible goes in so if you've some ham left over for example, chuck it in.
I like to shred the turkey or whatever meat you have and fry it in butter first so it goes crispy then throw everything else in. It's already cooked of course so you're heating it back up basically but in a frying pan.
It depends what you put in but it ends up something like this.
I love food like this, all mixed up stuff like when I make an omelette. I put all sorts in.

1577538736269.png

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went easy but still had three dinners in one. :lol: My mom made her stuffed shells ahead of time so they only needed reheating. 🤤 She made buffalo chicken lasagna in her crockpot. That was so good I woke up hungry for more at 3am. 😩🤪 We needed gluten free options too so I made a whole chicken using Perdus oven ready roasters; which always turn out well. Then we made arroz con grandules and stuffing to go with it. Veggies were raw cukes and celery because I forgot the broccoli till we were sitting down.:paperbag: Usually we have raw baby carrots on hand too but we were out. Oops! I forgot to set out the premade cheese/cracker/meat tray too. I’m saving it for NYE instead. We had too much food anyway.

The stuffing and gravy weren’t gluten free; but if I make a whole bird I want homemade stuffing and gravy to go with it. The upside is we have leftovers for days. My mom was supposed to be teaching me to make the arroz con grandules; but we were too busy and 4 of us were in the kitchen. I got the gist.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt used to cook a delicious Christmas dinner but now our family has expanded since my cousin gained some in-laws, we go out to the local pub for lunch because it's easier than cooking for a group of 20. She is considering making her own meal next year, however, since we had a second Christmas Day with the family again yesterday and my cousin's in-laws all praised my aunt and cousin's cooking and suggested that next year we should have a home Christmas. I preferred Christmas at home, anyway, so that'll be fine by me!