Question Of The Day, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, The Only Slightly Late Edition

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, I'm a little late. I came in last night at half-past-midnight to post, and my computer was doing updates. I waited until after 1:30, then gave up and went to bed around two, since my manager was supposed to be here between 8-9 to make sure I had scrubbed that 6" strip of baseboard, and vacuumed the cat tree (?!?!?!?!?). Got up at seven, went to the computer, and it was updating again! Waited for the manager, dozed off in my chair, and JUST woke up! GADS! I do not do well on less than six hours of sleep for three nights running! SO...here it is!

Now, almost all families have their own Christmas traditions that we cherish, and some of them would look remarkably silly to the rest of us! Does your family have a silly tradition, and what is it? Go on, you can tell me, I won't say a word! I'll even go first!

Every year, my mom decreed that Christmas was the perfect time to get new underwear for the family. There were lots of other, "real" gifts, but there was also underwear and socks for all! At some point, when I was too young to remember, Daddy started sneaking out late, late Christmas Eve and hanging my mom's new bras and panties on the Christmas tree! LOL, he even did it the one Christmas that we spent at my uncle's house! It's so much a part of my Christmas traditions now that all these years later, I still buy myself at least one bra, and a package of panties to put on the tree on Christmas Eve!

OK...YOUR TURN!

It's ok, you can whisper and no one will hear!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family never had any strange traditions. I did though. When my soulmate Arabian was alive, every Christmas morning after he ate breakfast, I would saddle up and go for a 3 hour ride. Just me and him, alone in the cold of the morning. I rode him alone many times, but there was something special and peaceful about this one day. I could then face the family for all the hubbub that went on.
Although I had many other horses throughout my life, he was the only one I would do this with. I think it bonded us even more than we already were.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think so, too. And it was a lovely tradition, in my book!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents and I have a tradition of seeing a movie together during the Christmas holidays. We don't always go on the same day every year depending on what we all have going on, but it always happens at some point around Christmas.

This year it's going to be Star Wars. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It did not originally start out as a tradition but in recent years has become one. Our family watches, "The Man Who Came to Dinner." It's about an eccentric writer and how he spends his Christmas holiday. :santa:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's become a tradition for my family to yell at me to turn off "A Christmas Story". I put it on every year, and they groan and yell at me to turn it off. every time. It's a good movie!
It is a good movie! I haven't seen it so far this year.

I don't remember any silly or any kind of Christmas traditions.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My folks had the album 'Merry Christmas' by Bing Crosby. Once the tree was up and the house was decorated, my younger sister and I would put it on and make up dance sequences to every song. We took ballet lessons when we were kids and must have thought we were quite the choreographers. I can't remember when we stopped doing that, probably around when we got to the surly teenager stage. :rolleyes2:

Bing_Crosby_-_Merry_Christmas.jpg

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have lots of traditions but I guess the silliest one sort of started by accident.
On my partner and I's first Christmas we had our little cheap artificial tree in the corner of the living room, so we had a ton of ornaments covering the front side of the tree and nothing in the back. The tree was unbalanced because of this. I looked for something to weigh down the back foot so the tree wouldn't topple over. I chose a large bag of dried peas. Now every year we HAVE to place a bag of peas under the tree amongst the presents. Sometimes I make a Christmas ham and the I use some of the ham with our "Christmas Peas" for soup on New Years.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have lots of traditions but I guess the silliest one sort of started by accident.
On my partner and I's first Christmas we had our little cheap artificial tree in the corner of the living room, so we had a ton of ornaments covering the front side of the tree and nothing in the back. The tree was unbalanced because of this. I looked for something to weigh down the back foot so the tree wouldn't topple over. I chose a large bag of dried peas. Now every year we HAVE to place a bag of peas under the tree amongst the presents. Sometimes I make a Christmas ham and the I use some of the ham with our "Christmas Peas" for soup on New Years.
:flail: I LOVE that. :clap:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was very young my much older sister and her two girls lived with us. On Christmas eve Mom and Dad took us driving around to see the beautifully decorated houses. My sister never wanted to go with us. When we got back home, to our amazement our Christmas tree had been completely decorated by Santa! He had come because we weren't there to see him and my sister was fast asleep upstairs. :evergreen: :santa: :deer:

We enjoyed this tradition until we were too old to believer in Santa Claus.Then we were allowed to help decorate the tree.:bliss:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we don't have a silly tradition. :dunno:

we do have some traditions for Christmas though. i give my cats their gifts, usually cat 'games' or scratchers/beds, on Christmas Eve day. we spend a quiet day together -- i try to do all the bigger 'to do's' before Christmas Eve, which is one of my gifts to my cats (because that's something they love the most, all of us just spending quiet time together). and on Christmas Day, i do the usual chores (wash the dishes and scoop the litter boxes) and then i give my three their Christmas stockings. we all have a lot of fun, the kitties enjoying their toys and me enjoying my cat's happiness, and i take some pictures and sometimes a video too of my three enjoying their Christmas.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think we have any silly traditions ourselves. My best friend in high school had angel ornaments made out of tampons on her tree at home. Her Mom had to save money one Christmas so she got creative. Her younger siblings thought it was hilarious to tell people what they were. My friend sure didn't! :lol:

I'm still thinking. I guess all our traditions are normal to me! I should put new undies in the kids stockings and see what they think. :anticipation:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I SO remember those years! My sons are grown and gone, but I still remember! Just wait, one day he will go to take a shower, unzip his jeans, and you will hear the hormones fizzing from the living room!